disable auto park, can it be done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't say developed/invented, but they were the first to make these safety features standard equipment. Initially they are too expensive to make it down to the Honda civic's, but after time they do trickle down to them, they only come quicker if there is a government mandate (like backup cameras being mandated in 2018).

The MB S class was the first production to make standard airbags (steering wheel & side and seat), 3 point seat belts, anti-lock brakes, and several other safety features. If I remember correctly (I could be wrong) the S class was the first vehicle to make adaptive cruse control standard, parking sensors, and blind spot sensors.

My 1985 S class has heated side view mirrors, an air bag, catalytic converter with an O2 sensor, and 4 wheel disc brakes which are anti-lock. I wont go into non-safety comfort options that were standard in the 80's that are just catching up in others today.
Everything is standard in an S Class. My dads 80's one had power up and down head rests. You may be right on the standard equipment thing there, but GM is probably pretty close with cadillacs. Regardless I'm all for Seatbelts, abs because it can cycle brakes better than even the best drivers F1 aside as well as airbags and even heated mirrors, but there's a limit to what's safety and what's catering to the people who just shouldn't be allowed to drive. I don't see how car manufacturers will be able to survive once cars self drive and every accident becomes their fault.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seat belts and air bags ARE a safety feature, the others are made for people that do not pay attention or need to take a driving course and be taught to drive.

Anti-lock brakes, lane departure warnings, fatigued driver warnings, emergency braking, blind spot sensors, backup cameras, and others are all just as much safety features as seat belts and air bags. They just are more upstream, as they are designed to prevent the accident where seat belts and air bags will help make an accident easier.

If it wasn't for safety features the airline industry would be no where as safe as it is today. Same with health care, there are monitors set up to monitor a set of parameters, so an operator can react before it is too late.

You can take all the driving courses you want, there is no doubt that anti-lock brakes are better than no anti-lock brakes, as once your tires are locked in a panic situation (which will happen) you have the ability to steer to attempt to avoid the collision.

But back on point. Auto park is there not only because of people potentially forgetting to put the vehicle in park, but to automatically do so in the event of a system failure where the operator turns the dial, but the transmission doesn't shift. It should force the vehicle into park as a last result.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everything is standard in an S Class. My dads 80's one had power up and down head rests. You may be right on the standard equipment thing there, but GM is probably pretty close with cadillacs. Regardless I'm all for Seatbelts, abs because it can cycle brakes better than even the best drivers F1 aside as well as airbags and even heated mirrors, but there's a limit to what's safety and what's catering to the people who just shouldn't be allowed to drive. I don't see how car manufacturers will be able to survive once cars self drive and every accident becomes their fault.

Yeah my 1985 S class has power head rests. GM has been close, but falls short of MB's S class. Shoot, my first car was a 1979 450 SLC, it still has more features than most non luxury cars in the 2010's. MB has had fuel injection since the 50's (not on all vehicles, but majority).

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Well we will just have to disagree about most of those "safety features".
If people would pay attention they are not needed.

Oh I drove for years with out anti lock brakes just fine, but do agree that are helpfull, not needed though.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Oh I drove for years with out anti lock brakes just fine, but do agree that are helpfull, not needed though.

It might be that I live in one of the most densely populated counties in the US (it right next to the top 4 which are the NYC counties). Nassau County Long Island has so many people, that it is impossible to pay attention to everyone. Bring on more safety features...

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Chevy had FI in the 50's as well at least on corvettes. Not sure either company is the technology trend setter they once were. The modern luxury car driver demands more gadgets so that trend is sure to continue as it always has.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chevy had FI in the 50's as well at least on corvettes. Not sure either company is the technology trend setter they once were. The modern luxury car driver demands more gadgets so that trend is sure to continue as it always has.

Yeah, it was after the MB S Class 300SL:

Engine displacement increased to 283 cu in (4.6 L), fuel injection became optional, and a 4-speed manual transmission was available after April 9, 1957. Fuel injection first saw regular use on a gasoline engine two years prior on the 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL "Gullwing".

Reactions: BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We've kind of veered off topic, but I do enjoy a good argument once in a while. Judging by how many people are watching this thread now I'd say I'm not the only one.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6

Im pretty much with you on how you feel about these safety features, one thing ive always said, take away the automatic transmission and you will take away most peoples ability to not pay attention to their driving, when you have to constantly shift and pay attention to what gear your in and what traffic is doing so you know what gear to go into, doesn't leave much time for texting or anything

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Wait a gosh darned minute a bunch of you people ***** about the dial shifter and how you are always Turing the radio down instead of putting it in park or are putting in in park on the highway and killing yourself (because there are no safety features in that stupid dial....sarcasm lol)when you want to turn the radio down, but now when they implement a feature that takes care of you when you turn the radio down instead of putting it in park you ***** about that too.

FYI this whole post is sarcasm. Why do some of you guys have to get so damn rude to other memebers, we are all here to enjoy our trucks, learn, and have a good time.

Fun fact when I’m putting tire shine on my tires I pull forward or back up some and while I’m doing that I open the door and lean out so I can see when the uncoated area is at the top - can’t do that with the back up camera or without screwing up your mirror adjustment.

OP
OP
razor1

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We've kind of veered off topic, but I do enjoy a good argument once in a while. Judging by how many people are watching this thread now I'd say I'm not the only one.
:beatdeadhorse5:yeah off topic with few answers

Hydrasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 with 8 speed will also back up with the door open. I tried it just to see what people were talking about. May be a software change with newer models.
I have watched two people on different occasions wrap their doors around to the front fender when backing up and caught a post. I couldn't help but laugh.

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys just want to be able to do this while backing, don’t you?

Sent from my iX using my iThumbs via Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What's wrong with that? Trying to maneuver those trucks in tight areas it's easier to do it that way as you can't see the back of your trailer in the mirror when you're cutting hard. He still uses the passenger mirror.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen guys do that, not going to judge if it works for them. I choose to just open the door and move it in or out and follow the trailer with the mirror .

Not everyone drives daycabs with good visibility.

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I lean out the window a bit in tight spots if I have a 53’ trailer. Sometimes I get lucky and only pull 45’ trailers now, because of the spots in city I hit. Hell some guys can’t back a straight truck into them.

I just liked the video for this thread. Seemed to fit.

Sent from my iX using my iThumbs via Tapatalk

deanoldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to resurrect this, but I just got a notice on my monthly VHR that my vin is in a Mopar 'campaign'. The title of the campaign is 'Autopark Functionality'. It currently doesn't work on my truck, so maybe this is to fix it so it does. The link to the campaign document takes a URL page not found. The campaign number is #U05.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only time I’ve ever opened the door while backing has been first thing in the morning when it was dark and the windows where fogged over, and not wanting to roll the window down while it was dirty and had all the condensation on it. Plus the windows are tinted so that aides in the only reason I’ve ever needed to open a door while backing. Other than that, that’s what mirrors are for...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bbdmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I don't know if this will work, but if you prevent the truck from knowing you opened the door it won't autopark. I haven't looked closely to see if my 18 RAM uses the same old time push switches that have been around forever, but it wouldn't be that difficult to either keep that switch open or closed (depending on what the closed door position is) all the time or with another switch. Then it wouldn't autopark if you open the door. But it may impact other things so try this at your own risk!