DIY ceramic coat worth it and how?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
So here's my thinking. I have back problems, washing a vehicle is now pretty hard for me, especially one this tall. Its either cut the grass or wash A car for one day, cause after either, I am done for at least the rest of the day. I have 2 cars to maintain. So, for the most part, my vehicles get washed in the automatic car wash near my house, no touch. I will take a chamois to it when I get home to remove any water spots etc.

Anything I can do to make it easier to keep clean and look nice, I would like to do. So, my choice is spend a bunch of money to have someone do the ceramic coat or suck it up for a weekend and do it myself. I am leaning towards doing it myself because of the cost. It will be a whole lot easier to get my wife to let me spend $90-100 even $160 to do it myself than spending a grand.

Normally I will wax my vehicles every other month. How much after care if there with ceramic?

with a ceramic coating all you have to do it is properly wash and dry. Washing and drying are much easier due to the hydrophobic properties. FYI ceramic is harder than the clear coat but it can still be scratched so that's why I say proper wash and dry. If you use the automatic and then get home and dry it with a chamois and there is still some dirt on the truck it could scratch the ceramic. I was using a leaf blower to dry my car because the water just flies right off and is easy. Then I used a good microfiber drying towel to finish up.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Like quitepeen, I had my 2018 Charger done...wow...a HUGE difference. He did wash, clay bar, polish and ceramic, guaranteed for 5 years. He also did wheels and glass.

38411699_240512446591761_93104239458385920_n.jpg

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here's my thinking. I have back problems, washing a vehicle is now pretty hard for me, especially one this tall. Its either cut the grass or wash A car for one day, cause after either, I am done for at least the rest of the day. I have 2 cars to maintain. So, for the most part, my vehicles get washed in the automatic car wash near my house, no touch. I will take a chamois to it when I get home to remove any water spots etc.
Anything I can do to make it easier to keep clean and look nice, I would like to do. So, my choice is spend a bunch of money to have someone do the ceramic coat or suck it up for a weekend and do it myself. I am leaning towards doing it myself because of the cost. It will be a whole lot easier to get my wife to let me spend $90-100 even $160 to do it myself than spending a grand.
Normally I will wax my vehicles every other month. How much after care if there with ceramic?
If that's the case,........just pay someone to do it right for you and be done with it. You'll be happier and have your back still. lol
If you're not careful with the ceramic coating,........you'll ruin your paint with valleys of coating sitting higher in spots and it will look like ****. You need a lot of time to do prep and applying.
Good luck man.

*****For the record, I had my truck applied with Cquartz Finest 2 years ago. AMAZING! Looks killer and is easy to clean.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like quitepeen, I had my 2018 Charger done...wow...a HUGE difference. He did wash, clay bar, polish and ceramic, guaranteed for 5 years. He also did wheels and glass.
View attachment 136288

Looks killer guys!!! Awesome vehicles.
I wish I didn't live in an area that required the 4X4 for winter driving. I would have a brand new Hellcat Charger as my daily driver, no doubt!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Maybe an alternative to waxing every other month would be to use a good sealant on it and then top it with a good wax. Normally a wax will last about a month or a little less, whereas a good sealant will protect for up to 6 months. If you seal it and then top it with your wax you should get at least 6 months protection and really only have to redo it every 6 months---that should cut down some of your time spent. You would still have to properly maintain it though--wash and dry. Realistically you can spend a lot of time and money looking for short cuts, but to be honest, there aren't many acceptable ones that will truly protect your trucks finish.
Jay

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
make sure your car wash is a soap that doesn't strip the wax off. Otherwise you've spent all that time for nothing.

OP
OP
MoparFin

MoparFin

U. S. Navy Vet - AS1
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reflection in those....WOW.

Very nice!

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guess I could have wrote that better. $100 for all 4 wheels, $100 for glass. Then 700-800 for the paint. He said its a 3 yr. Mckee's 37 is a DIY product?

That's a good price for wheels and the paint correction depending on the color and condition of your truck. I haven't used McKee's but I know they're popular and haven't really seen any negative reviews about them. The claim to fame is the ease of use.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ You keep posting pics of your truck you might have to start a detail business---LOL
Jay

OP
OP
MoparFin

MoparFin

U. S. Navy Vet - AS1
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a good price for wheels and the paint correction depending on the color and condition of your truck. I haven't used McKee's but I know they're popular and haven't really seen any negative reviews about them. The claim to fame is the ease of use.

Brand new and it’s brilliant black pearl.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brand new will still be swirly since the dealership washes them while on the lot, plus transport, etc. At least it's not a flat black.
Brand new and it’s brilliant black pearl.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I’ve heard great things about carpro/uk and Wolfgang. I was going to go with Wolfgang