DIY: Door Handle Swap Pics and Vids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for doing this, it looks like a ton of work just for 1 door, then do that 3 more times that's gotta be a full day just to pull the handles and swap them.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Thanks for doing this, it looks like a ton of work just for 1 door, then do that 3 more times that's gotta be a full day just to pull the handles and swap them.
Once you have the first door off, it goes so much faster. Half the battle is finagling the carrier plate. It looks daunting, but it does get easier. I estimate 3 hours tops for all 4 doors for someone never having done it. I know mine was trial and error (but I didn't have videos to watch). :cool:

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You don’t have to remove the plastic inner carrier to do the door handles. Eyeball approx location & drill 1/2” holes to get to the nuts, there is a hole where you can reach in & disconnect the rods from the catch clips. If the nuts fall in the door use a magnet stick, tape the nuts to the socket for installation.
Put duct tape over the holes to seal them up.

Should maybe take you 20 minutes per handle.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
You don’t have to remove the plastic inner carrier to do the door handles. Eyeball approx location & drill 1/2” holes to get to the nuts, there is a hole where you can reach in & disconnect the rods from the catch clips. If the nuts fall in the door use a magnet stick, tape the nuts to the socket for installation.
Put duct tape over the holes to seal them up.

Should maybe take you 20 minutes per handle.

This is true, in fact that DIY is on the forum. But this DIY involves no cutting, drilling. No eyeball needed either.

But I did drop a nut, and used the magnet stick. That is a bonus tool! :cool:

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That magnet tool is a life saver sometimes. Doing roller rockers on a motor and dropped a nut into the motor, couple times of fishing & I came out lucky.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
No doubt!! That and a telescoping convex mirror. Win.

mcaligiuri

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500 express crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
i looked everywhere online to see how to disconnect the window. I was too nervous to push on those clips so i did the whole thing with that panel in place and no drilling. My hands hurt like hell but i go the job done.

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Anybody know if 1500 handles work on a 2500? In my head they should, but my funds regarding the eBay purchase I just placed say “what if they don’t” haha

My truck has the proximity unlock thing, and the handle I just purchased for $50 has the same button, so I’m hoping I should be good to go? Most places are wanting $300 for all 4 so I thought I’d save some coin by looking into purchase on singles/doubles

Awesome thread by the way, I plan to install sound dampening as well when I swap the handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know this is super old but it's the only thread I have found. How long did this take? I bought the paint matched and chrome ones off a member last night to get rid of the ugly express plastic ones. Got what I think is a great deal on them. I was planning to full billet handles but @ 500 figured I see if I even want to mess with it first lol.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I know this is super old but it's the only thread I have found. How long did this take? I bought the paint matched and chrome ones off a member last night to get rid of the ugly express plastic ones. Got what I think is a great deal on them. I was planning to full billet handles but @ 500 figured I see if I even want to mess with it first lol.
It took about 2 hours, but I have muscle memory on the carrier plate removals since I soundproofed the doors, months prior.

Last edited:

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did he ever say what the foam pool stick thing was for? I see it in the pics but not sure of it's purpose...

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Did he ever say what the foam pool stick thing was for? I see it in the pics but not sure of it's purpose...
Quick protection for the glass itself. It helps from an insurance perspective. Good luck!

Tl806

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Awesome thread. I’m tackling this project next week!

Special K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Thanks for doing the write up. Guess I just found another project to add to my list...