DIY running boards/hoop steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nathan_41

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So, i shopped around and couldnt find what i wanted. Came to the conclusion of just building my own. I havent came across anything on this forum about doing so, to try and gather additional info or tips that would be helpful or things i should be aware of or missed.

For mounting brackets i took the easy way and ordered a set off ebay. As i have not received them yet (its been a week and a half) im beginning to think i need a refund. Ill come back to brackets in an udated post.

For the "running board" portion, i had a local shop i used to work for bend me some stock material, and shear me some flat stock for caps. (More on that in an updated post) the hoops ill make out of square tube stock and probably add aluminium tread brite in the hoops as well.

I plan to update this post as i go and include pics. But if anyone has any ideas, concerns i may have missed, please voice them!

Thanks for reading!

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I know is that many attach to the body rather than the frame, and that's just not very strong. The AMP auto-retracting steps ripped out of their holes when two people stepped on it hard simultaneously entering the vehicle (and no, not celebrities from my 600lbs life). If doing it again, I'd do either some kind of frame mount or weld on reinforcement plates to those locations.