Do I need four corner air suspension for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOT5Deep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi V8
Total noob here, and I've tried researching this topic but would appreciate advice. I'm looking at 2019 and 2020 1500 Rebels and plan to use it occasionally for towing a lite travel trailer (<7000lbs). Finding one with four corner air suspension has been rather difficult, and from what I've been told air suspension is almost a must for heavy-ish towing. The salesman at the dealership told me that 4 corner air suspension would not be ideal for towing since it would be too soft, and the air suspension is more designed for off-roading. He said there are self leveling airbags in the rear of the 1500 Rebel that make it more ideal and stable for towing. Of course he's a salesman, so I'm skeptical because they're trying to close a deal. Does anyone have advice on this particular issue? Thank you in advance.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air suspension isn’t necessary for towing. You can get the truck you want. With a properly set up wdh you should be fine. If after towing you feel that you could use some more help in the rear with the trailer you could get some tuftruck springs or some bag on frame air bags for the rear of the truck.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Either works fine. The 4 corner air suspension "too soft" is completely inaccurate, it will auto adjust and auto level the back of your truck by adding pressure and making it stiffer. The must have air suspension for heavy towing is inaccurate also. It is true that the coil springs on the 1500 are soft no doubt but properly set up will be fine. The tires will be a short coming before the coils will and if it gets to that point you can add air "helper" bags to the back of your truck at any time for not to big of a expense. My .02 is get the truck you want and dont look back unless you plan on getting a larger camper one day if that's the case get the 2500 now so you dont have the do it later.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
7000 lb is not light for a 1500, that could easily eat 1000lb of your payload, just make sure you are setting yourself up, so you don't exceed payload once you add driver, passengers and cargo to the truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Don't think that the four corner air suspension is a replacement for a WDH. You'll still need to use one and Ram has specific way to set the WDH with the air suspension. Just because the truck will level itself, doesn't mean the weight distribution is correct.
Some people love the air suspension others not so much, even to the point of getting rid of the truck