Do the upper trim levels really add to the towing or drving experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barfnick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer leather seats and here is why: You stop at McDonalds and get a cheeseburger. They overdid the condiments and it is a sloppy mess that you KNOW is going to drip. With cloth seats, you lean BACK to make sure it only ruins your shirt and not your seat as well. With leather, you lean Forward to let it hit the seat and save your shirt. :)

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn't add to the towing experience (it actually subtracts as you add options). I would only get the options you know you will need / want if you plan on maxing out towing. If not, go crazy and enjoy!

btsbarton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I much prefer being able to slide things around, especially the really heavy things. There are several spots that have had the paint rubbed clean off, no rust. My 2 trucks before this one; no liners, much wear, scrapes, no rust.

Dirt, rocks, mud, snow, ice are all easily removed. It’s a truck box and gets used as such.

If you’re that worried about rust, keep those wheel wells and cab corners spotless... and the tailgate... they all rust from the inside out.

View attachment 218057

Different strokes I guess. One of the main reasons I like spray in liners is Because they are less slippery.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO the ram factory bed liner is trash. I much prefer Line-X. My 17 had the ram Bedliner and it was faded before a year. This time I did not get the ram bedliner and instead payed for the line-x premium and it’s hands down way better. Overall it didn’t cost much more than if I got the ram bedliner.

Strange, I just swapped a 2014 bed onto my 2017. The 2014 had the factory spray in liner, it looks like it’s brand new, after cleaning it up

708a00007751fa14002adf6af21f744e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I prefer leather seats and here is why: You stop at McDonalds and get a cheeseburger. They overdid the condiments and it is a sloppy mess that you KNOW is going to drip. With cloth seats, you lean BACK to make sure it only ruins your shirt and not your seat as well. With leather, you lean Forward to let it hit the seat and save your shirt. :)

Ha!!!! This is the way to sell it to your wife , can’t be walking around with secret sauce on your shirt

Octane

Reaction score
Drippings on the seat reminds me of the difference between a redneck and a good ol' boy....a redneck throws his beer cans out onto the road as he rides...a good ol'boy throws the empty beer cans into the back of the truck as he goes.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Strange, I just swapped a 2014 bed onto my 2017. The 2014 had the factory spray in liner, it looks like it’s brand new, after cleaning it up

708a00007751fa14002adf6af21f744e.jpg

Mine fades and gets chunks taken out of it, but I just repair it with the rattlecan stuff and spray dye it flat black every couple years takes no time to tape it off and less than 2 cans to make it look new again. Without I just scratch and dent the crap out of the bed.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine fades and gets chunks taken out of it, but I just repair it with the rattlecan stuff and spray dye it flat black every couple years takes no time to tape it off and less than 2 cans to make it look new again. Without I just scratch and dent the crap out of the bed.
My factory spray in doesn’t look horrible but it does have a much more faded look to it than most Line-X beds. Sucks but oh well it’s also in the bed where it’s made to throw stuff etc.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My factory spray in doesn’t look horrible but it does have a much more faded look to it than most Line-X beds. Sucks but oh well it’s also in the bed where it’s made to throw stuff etc.
Mine is a line-x. My last one held up a lot better than my new one. Both line-x so the shop that does the work makes a big difference and once it's done poorly there isn't much you can do to fix it.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
On the factory bed liner topic.... I had 1,800 pounds of pavers, road and pea gravel and sand in the bed a few weekends ago. After washing it out it still looks new without a single scratch, gouge or blemish. Maybe the bed liner quality has improved.

D9C102A8-6A20-4011-99BE-CD45D63BA59D.jpeg

CE90ED69-E9B9-4C03-AE1E-032771334D57.jpeg

5FF19C03-2806-4476-A737-3018B851E7AA.jpeg

dbctmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Tradesman has vinyl seats and rubber floor covering. Wipe the seats with an Armor All wipe or whatever and if it hits the floor, I could spray ot out with a water hose if I wanted.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Options are fun but can be very helpful.
Like folding mirrors. Super handy pulling into the garage or drive through.
Cargo lights....
Slide rear window ( can’t reach that from the front sit of a quad cab)
Remote release tailgate. Super handy
120 Power in the bed of the truck.
High amp alternator
Oh and a/c seats ( I live in TX)
Remote start... no brainer
Front camera is super handy.
I just barely scratch the surface with here.
I added a ton more to my truck that the factory could not offer. I took my truck on a 3200 mi trip to the mountains and appreciated the options.

I have had my share of used trucks with roll up windows and standard transmissions and I am in the market for a 50-70 Power Wagon that will not have any options including power steering but I won’t be put 22k behind the wheel each year like a do my current truck. We all define confort differently.
I paid my dues. Now “I’m livin’ the dream“

499E2AC8-CC2D-480F-9032-128B0D735452.jpeg

9B98D82D-B10A-4574-9E35-5F5D69FF5A6B.jpeg

4BF90EDB-0F3C-42D7-8679-64C1A6A4A8C4.jpeg

9D09F48D-5830-41EC-921F-18473ABFF65C.jpeg

96008830-B7B5-4833-9DB7-C512496CF3F3.jpeg

Last edited:

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We went low-trim on my first truck (1500 SLT) because all could afford, and would be beating the hell out of it for the kid's horsey world stuff.

Low trim and NONE tech on the wife's jeep because was going to vibration the hell out of it off road (and get the insides wet).

And went Laramie with some extra Group because I'm old, we do more road trips than dragging horse stuff around with the kid anymore, and I could afford it.

Will use the high trim Laramie to tow the low-trim jeep a couple/three hours away to off road parks. There-n-back in comfortable luxury. Off road in Spartan reliability.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have switched from a decked out Laramie to a Tradesman and have no regrets. I too could have purchased any truck I wanted but like having no carpet and vinyl seats. I agree about seating comfort but purchased a nifty item from Snailax which has cooling and massage features for 60$ and problem solved.

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
If I was buying the truck new, I'd lean towards a Tradesman trim. I ended up getting my Laramie from a family friend who didn't need it anymore for considerably less than the dealer.

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I bought my '16 Tradesman HD gasser (new), it was optioned to near-SLT levels... had the chrome package, had the cloth seats/carpet, parksense, 4.10 gears, electronic 4x4 w/ anti-spin, LED bed lights, UConnect5, & a few other goodies. I would like to have had the center console, but that was a few trim levels up... as is the fold-flat rear floor. No biggie. I've found the Tradesman has everything I want. For a base-level stereo, I'm surprised at how good it sounds. It's also the quietest truck I've ever had, tho the mufflex/Magnaflow does drone a bit below 60 mph. For $35k, I was ecstatic with the deal.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
:happy175::happy175::happy175:

Bigvig51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
The Tradesman gets maximum payload/towing. start adding on extras of any kind, payload/towing go way down. I put a set of seat protectors on mine. Spill away !!

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

And all my ex girlfriend's were sloppy. So leather is better:)