Do you take off as soon as the engine starts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Hell no! I wait about 3 seconds... That's about how long it takes to get my seatbelt on and oil pressure up.

That's what I have always done as well, even when I lived in Ct. I just take it easy until the temp gage starts to climb.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I wait tell high idle is done. and go easy. unless im scraping ice still. summer i just go.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I start that ***** up and drive away. 80,000 miles and counting. Still runs like the day I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemmy
If time permits I start and let idle for a few minutes then go. With that said I’m a volunteer paramedic and when on call it don’t get much time to idle but I don’t accelerate rapidly. I would much rather let it idle for a couple minutes before I put it in gear

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
If its been sitting outside all day in sub-freezing temps, like at my office in the winter, I remote start as I walk out the doors. So its been running for a few minutes before I get in, get my work bag put away, and get settled/seatbelted. I try to let it run for a few more minutes after that before putting it into gear.

If its in the heated and insulated garage at home (typically keep it around 60), I go as soon as the initial high idle comes down.

My wife on the other hand (with her Hemi Jeep GC) is rolling before the self-test/startup lights are off.

Krackle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When temperature is like 35 degrees or below I let the transmission temperature heat up for a minute or two otherwise I get that real sloppy first to second gear shift for the first time

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I always remote as I walk to the truck, or in the garage in the morning.
Its probably less issues on the motor, as it is the cold tranny...eeekk
slamming into gear when revving high to warm up.....not good.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too, wait until the fast idle settles before putting the truck in gear.

Usually 45 seconds to 1.5 minutes.

Depending on weather

I do this exactly. I'm lucky where i live, 1/4 mile down the road to a stop sign, across to a 1 mile quiet road to the main highway.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Well, when you are starting your truck at 40 below after it's been sitting outside all day. It does not matter what type or weight of oil or brand name, it takes a few moments to circulate.

Then hammering the throttle is going to get you more rattle than anything.

In extreme cold weather, it's best to move slowly.....

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
In all but the coldest weather I wait 30 sec. for the fast idle to drop a little and put it reverse and back out the carport at an idle and then idle to the road about a 1000' from the house and then go very slowly to the highway that is a mile and a half from the house. At this point I wait for a big opening in traffic so that I can ease her up to 55 and after 2 miles I bring it up to 65. I never flog it cold and take it easy until the tranny and engine oil are close to operating temps. In near zero temps I idle it for 3 or 4 minutes before moving.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I remote start in cold weather but honestly that's for me not the truck :)

I usually let it run for at least 15-20 seconds to get the oil pressure up and then take it pretty easy at first. I don't even really think about it for the good of the truck as much as I just don't want to be an a-hole speeding out of my neighborhood. I suppose somewhere in the back of my mind I'm trying to go easy on the engine and whatnot.

dodgeramfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I idle mine for 10 minutes jump in and enjoy my 4 minute drive to work. Makes for wonderful fuel mileage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4airstreamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
I warm up the Cummins until coolant temperature reaches 70 and then go normal.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Question fellas I’m running Cold air intake and Magnaflow exhaust straight pipe no cats, My auto starts turns on but then shuts off after 10 seconds because of check engine light for no cats. Is there a way to bypass this, I heard it shuts off because off the check engine light?

Ps: I also wait 45 sec to 1.5 min before I take off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a tune.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I always let the rpms come down and the oil pressure come up before I shift into gear no matter what the weather. Usually never goes below 40's in my garage unless bitterly cold; it's insulated but not heated. Might give it another minute or two if it's been bitterly cold. When it's been sitting outside in cold weather; I will let it run just about 3-4 minutes and then start driving.
As I understand, long term idling to warm everything up applies to older vehicles. Newer vehicles just need a short period followed by cautious driving initially.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always let the idle come down to at least below 1000 rpms before I put it in drive. Then I'm real easy on her until the engine warms up.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I start my truck when i get in and then just sit there putting my phone up and putting my wallet in the middle console, as it seems to give her enough time to get the oil circulating and to heat up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

jimsummers74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I live in Alaska. I'd love to remote start some mornings & have the seat/steering wheel warm up also. Is there any way to get those "warmers" to come on w/ remote start ? As it is, I can't turn them on till I push the "Start" button, once I get inside. The defroster/heater will come on - if I leave them on at "shutdown", but not those two. Just curious ??
I don't let the eng run very long, even on remote start, below zero days. Just long enough to clean off/scrape the windshield, windows, etc. Above zero, I just wait for the red eng coolant symbol to extinguish and then slow creep to to the hwy. Thnx in advance

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
This has been tested to be the best method. Prolonged idling has show excess deposit build up in engines. In the study I read it suggested to start the vehicle and let it run for 20 to 30 seconds then to drive normal until full temps are reached. I assume normal means not to hammer it but to drive in lower RPM range.

That said, I more often then not use the remote start on cold days. However, I don't believe it necessary to let the engine idle up to normal temps.

I have read several articles this is the correct way. Never should you get on it right after you start it. Most engine wear is from the first few seconds of running due to oil not flowing through the entire engine yet.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I live in Alaska. I'd love to remote start some mornings & have the seat/steering wheel warm up also. Is there any way to get those "warmers" to come on w/ remote start ? As it is, I can't turn them on till I push the "Start" button, once I get inside. The defroster/heater will come on - if I leave them on at "shutdown", but not those two. Just curious ??
I don't let the eng run very long, even on remote start, below zero days. Just long enough to clean off/scrape the windshield, windows, etc. Above zero, I just wait for the red eng coolant symbol to extinguish and then slow creep to to the hwy. Thnx in advance

Hmmm... my 16 Ram 2500 will turn on the heated seats & steering wheel anytime the ambient temp is below 40*. If you have the 5" screen I think you can go in & program it to turn those on. It's under "settings" I believe.