Dodge RAM 1500 1998 - Troublecode P1389 & P0455

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oby4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Hello all,

I bought a Dodge RAM 1500 1998 5.2 V8 Club Cab a few days ago. I brought it to a mechanic and he told me the radiator had a leak and it would be best to replace it.

I bought a OBD Scan tool and ran a report with a software called "OBD Fusion" on my phone. The software detected two troublecodes P1389 and P0455 :

Screen_Shot_2018_03_20_at_20_37_39.png

When I got the car the check engine light was on. I refilled the gas tank for the first time this morning and the light went off. I read online this could be related to the troublecode P0455. I bought a new gas cap at Oreilly's today but after running a diagnotic report with the OBD scan tool the error stills shows on the software.

Strange thing is that the mechanic did not tell me about those two errors code... just about the radiator. Would the error P0455 could be the leaking radiator? I doubt it from what I can read online. I uploaded the full diagnostic report here if that can help : https://goo.gl/kd6UTK

If you any one of you got some advices I would be more than happy to hear them!

Thank you in advance for your help! :)

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Clear the codes and see if they come back. P1389 is for the shutdown relay. If that is an active problem the truck won't start. If they pulled that to keep it from starting while they did some other work it will throw that code, but its sloppy not to clear it. Another possibility is that relay is going bad and will need to be replaced. If it doesn't start one day, try swapping that relay with the horn relay and see what happens.

As far as the Evap leak. If you don't live in a state with emissions testing, ignore it. Its detecting a leak in one of the 40 feet or so of rubber and plastic lines that trap gasses from evaporated fuel and store them to be burnt when the engine is running. It has no effect on the performance of the truck unless you hear a loud hissing from one of the lines.

OP
OP
O

Oby4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Sorry I didn't answer you. I did clear the code and the error code P0455 never came back as EVAP became completed. But the error P1389 came back today after 9 months... strangely enough the check engine came back on at the same time as the fuel icon on my dashboard..

Any explanation ? I will bring the car to my mechanic next week but just thought I could use your input!

Can it just be the shut down auto relay to replace ?

Thank you!