Does putting on -44 offset wheels really add a lot of stress to susp. ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, its time I have to buy new tires so I say, what the heck, lets get those rims I always wanted! So I'm thinking about buying either 20x12 moto metals 962 -44 offset w/ Nitto NT420s 305/50R20 or 20x10 moto metals 962 -24 offset w/ same tire. I really like the wide stance that gives the truck and also the hollowed out look of the rims. I'm also currently leveled.

My worry is the added stress it will have on the suspension from what I've read with the -44s. If the difference between the -44 and -24 is substantial I may just go with the -24s.

Anyone have knowledge about the longevity of a suspension w/ -44 wheels?

Thanks guys!

EDIT:
I do have another question though. Both my current front tires are wearing out on the outer sides, almost to the point of them being slightly bald. Last alignment was when I get my level kit added. Was probably 1.5 years ago. Tires have about 30k miles on them. Is this anything to worry about with the actual level or just time for an alignment?

I'd rather not buy new tires/wheels all around and have this issue with the new tires.

Last edited:

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Suspension is fine, it will just wear the wheel hub bearings a little quicker ... But if it’s the look you want, then it is worth it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Suspension is fine, it will just wear the wheel hub bearings a little quicker ... But if it’s the look you want, then it is worth it ...

Hey thanks for the quick reply. You mind scrolling up a little? I added a second question about my current tires. Also aside from the balding of the tire, I took a nail into the front right tire (thus starting me wanting to buy new tires).

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looks to me like a bad alignment, or the alignment got knocked back out shortly after the level

I don’t care for it, but 305’s on 12” wheels is gonna give you the Cali stretched tire look ... All good if that’s what you’re lookin for ... 305 tire specs say 12” is OK ?

If is was me, I’d do the 10” -24’s ... It will still give you a nice wide stance

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey thanks for the quick reply. You mind scrolling up a little? I added a second question about my current tires. Also aside from the balding of the tire, I took a nail into the front right tire (thus starting me wanting to buy new tires).
How is the other tire? Same wear? Your alignment is seriously screwed up. Run away from the shop who did the job. Fix the alignment before you add new tires and Monitor your tires more often. They don’t wear down like that overnight. That tire is ruined and the new ones will suffer the same if you’re not paying attention.

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is the other tire? Same wear? Your alignment is seriously screwed up. Run away from the shop who did the job. Fix the alignment before you add new tires and Monitor your tires more often. They don’t wear down like that overnight. That tire is ruined and the new ones will suffer the same if you’re not paying attention.

Yes its the same on the other side. Your def right about monitoring them. The issue is I have a nail in the right tire (unpatchable) so I have to buy a new tire. Part of me is thinking maybe I should just replace the two front tires and get a new alignment and watch it for the next 6 months or so?

With the alignment the way it is you'd expect it to pull a certain way on the road but it doesn't.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Booo ... The economy needs you ... New tires, wheels, and a good alignment

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In that case you can come back to the place that did the alignment and show them the result of their work and give them one more chance to make it right. Move the front to the rears and rears to the front. All free and you can still get more miles out of those tires while you think what you want to do next.
Edited: Never mind I saw one of them is unpatchable.

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In that case you can come back to the place that did the alignment and show them the result of their work and give them one more chance to make it right. Move the front to the rears and rears to the front. All free and you can still get more miles out of those tires while you think what you want to do next.
Edited: Never mind I saw one of them is unpatchable.

Damn that was a great idea. Ya I'm kinda SOL, im just hoping its not the level kit that was installed somehow.

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'll go to a used tire store and buy two decent equal tread tires and put those on the front. Get it aligned and just keep watching for a good amount of time. I really don't want to invest in two brand new tires If i want to eventually get rid of them anyway.

If anyone thinks I'm over thinking this alignment issue and I should just go buy the new wheels/rims and get it aligned after let me know.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'll go to a used tire store and buy two decent equal tread tires and put those on the front. Get it aligned and just keep watching for a good amount of time. I really don't want to invest in two brand new tires If i want to eventually get rid of them anyway.

If anyone thinks I'm over thinking this alignment issue and I should just go buy the new wheels/rims and get it aligned after let me know.

That will be the cheapest way to fix the tire issue. it makes sense to buy 2 equal thread ones to replace the one that can't be fixed and they don't have to be brand new. You want to tackle the aligment issue though because instead of 2 tires getting messed up over time, now you'll have 4.
You might have a combination of bad toe and bad camber at play causing the outer edge to wear down like that. From the picture it seems the most outer edge is not as bald as the baldest part of the tire, so i'll say you have a little more neg camber than needed and the toe in is making the tire scrub away from the edge. All conjectures though, your alignment dude should be able to fix that if you show them both tires assuming he/she can get the aligment to the proper specs.

The factory simply uses a range of specs for alignment to indicate as long as you're there you'll have somethng that track straight ? and a lot of people just think that as long as the specs are in the green zone everything is peachy and will tell you to rotate more often at 3k miles. I rotate every 5k or 10k but i watch my tires like a hawk for even wear, i'll rotate more often if i had MT tires of i noticed abnormal wearing down the road. I also ask my aligment dude to run a more neutral aligment wih -+ 0.0x camber, and toe out enough for min wear, you'll find there will plenty of shops who will just give a toe and go and send you on your way instead of taking their time to give you an aligment job that won't wear your tires like yours is doing.

As a reference here is my last alignment job. Notice the before and after Toe and camber settings on one side, the truck was still tracking straight somehow but i had hit a rock while on the trail the week before that alignment and i though to myself i bet this will mess things up. I took it to my local alignment shop as a preemptive measure. had i continue to drive the truck like that ill have messed one tire quickly and then every other tire i'll have slapped on that side. Rotations wouldnt have done anything for me but slow down one tire from getting messed up right away, instead eventually all would have been wearing down the wrong way the moment any of them was mounted on that side. Hope it makes sense.

48992573667_4b7a041220_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot for putting so much effort in that response and also for posting your alignment paper! I went down to a local used tire shop I've used before in the past. Got two decent wrangler SRAs for 60 a peice. I got those balanced and installed. Went to firestone nearby an got an alignment done. The tech told me it was a fairly straight forward alignment. So I'll be watching these tires really closely for the months to come. If all is well then I'll go ahead and get the rims/wheels I wanted then. I'm not to alignment savy but learning. But below are the before and after.

IMG_26571.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot for putting so much effort in that response and also for posting your alignment paper! I went down to a local used tire shop I've used before in the past. Got two decent wrangler SRAs for 60 a peice. I got those balanced and installed. Went to firestone nearby an got an alignment done. The tech told me it was a fairly straight forward alignment. So I'll be watching these tires really closely for the months to come. If all is well then I'll go ahead and get the rims/wheels I wanted then. I'm not to alignment savy but learning. But below are the before and after.

View attachment 188155

She had too much toe out, combined that with your almost +1.0* camber and that is exactly why your tires were wearing down the way they did. Should be much better now. Keep an eye down for wear anyways just in case but wear should be a lot even now with your new alignment.

Last edited:

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your alignment paperwork nailed it on the head as to the problem. Also be aware running tires under inflated for the TIRE MANUFACTURES listed cold PSI will cause the tires to wear on the inner and outer edges faster, while over inflation wears on the centers. That's the reason a lot of small / mid-size SUVs and minivans have tires worn on the inside and outside, as the doors spec (ie car maker's) pressure is to low for full tread life and performance wear. The only exception to this is LT tires as they are built with a much stiffer sidewall then a "P" or passenger rated tire.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
If you get an alignment and new parts are not added to replace worn components, this is what happens. All components need to be solid and tight or the alignment will NOT hold. I ALWAYS go to my Dodge dealer for alignment and had only one so far when I saw front tire wearing like yours. Parts were needed for that side only and now the new tires are wearing evenly as they should be.