Does the 5th gen 5.7L have the dreaded MDS lifter issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have 21,000 now and for the first time using remote start I heard the dreaded tick on a cold start. My 2014 Ram and my 2017 Ram had the same thing very annoying. I had hoped this 5 gen was going to be different but I was wrong plus 20 recalls for the 2019 is absolutely ridiculous. Now I'm considering getting out of this Truck!

Read the threads above, many of us were in the same boat, but your good luck might be all the work the forum has done on this. I was same way, I wanted out out out of my hemi tick truck started ticking 3500 miles new. That was long ago and mainly tick free since with using a lubrication strategy, the same strategy employed now by 100's of ram forum members. The polls showed just under 100 users, but the polls just are the latest thing, we have been doing this since 2011 with amazing results. 90% success rate and helping hemi tick, 60% rate totally killing hemi tick. Towards end of threads proof the cams that fail have great quality metal, and an engineer who thinks the issue is related to engine design plus sparce modern engine oils, and with zero doubt ram forum proven him right.

D Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bottom line is this ticking , always on a cold start going to damage my engine? It has done several times since my last post.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Bottom line is this ticking , always on a cold start going to damage my engine? It has done several times since my last post.

There is a ton of this in 4 gen section, but there is a fix for this, look at poll results. Read the entire threads as posted already by dodge1500, there is good info especially the metal assays and engineers recommendation towards the end. The issue is the lifter in the lifter cavity and lack of lubrication and additives, if you do as many ram forum members did, the tick is but a bad memory.

did redline kill your tick

did lubegard biotech kill your tick