Don’t trade in your Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bamacommander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was looking to take advantage of the trade in values. Went to both a Ford and GMC dealership to trade in my Ram. Thought I would buy something different with more bells and whistles. Well, I changed my mind real quick once I test drove the Sierra 1500 and the F150. Both are nice trucks but with one common flaw, each truck has a foot rest for the drivers left leg. Which means you can’t stretch out your legs. I’m 6-1 , not very big or heavy and I just couldn’t get comfortable. I tried moving the seats in both vehicles to what seemed to be 100 different positions to see if I could find something that worked. Well , didn’t buy either and just decided to keep the Ram, and when this one wears out I’ll buy another .

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I beg to differ about that being a flaw. I've owned many vehicles with a dead pedal so I'm quite used to them. I wish my Ram had one for longer drives. In most of those vehicles the dead pedal was only in the higher trim levels, and could be removed. I'd be surprised if you couldn't do that in the Sierra or F150.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
At one time there was talk on this forum of someone developing a Dead Pedal add on for the Gen4 Ram trucks.
There's plenty of room to stretch your legs in any of the full size trucks, if you want a vehicle with no room to stretch try the old school vans that front wheel well took up most of the driver's foot well.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've had my Ram now for over 2 years. The other day I was driving it on a 4 hour trip and realized there wasn't a pedal for the left foot. I probably realized it before and just forgot. It felt odd, my previous SUVs had them. Can't say I miss it or like it just odd there isn't one there.

OP
OP
Bamacommander

Bamacommander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI , the dead pedal in the Ford and GMC are not removable , in that they are part of the metal firewall. I guess it’s a personal choice, I have a trick knee that I need to be able to stretch out when I drive. Plus , if your a tall guy why would you want a restriction on leg room that was engineered into the vehicle . This design restricts your knee and limits how you position your foot. Since it’s close to the 4th of July how about this quote, Give me liberty (the freedom to stretch my leg) or give me death.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You want a don't trade in your ram this is a guy at works 5th gen bumper around the tow hooks. Every rock chip has already turned into a big rust spot with the paint flaked off. Brutal for a fairly new truck.IMG_20210629_0459056.jpg

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
surely a personal preference. I am 6' tall and am very comfortable in my laramie..I recently drove the 1200 miles from sheridan, wy to home near ft. worth straight thru and altho plenty tired when I got home, was never uncomfortable. the truck handles so well and gets pretty good mileage so it has become our vehicle of choice for long trips over my wife's infiniti.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
FYI , the dead pedal in the Ford and GMC are not removable , in that they are part of the metal firewall. I guess it’s a personal choice, I have a trick knee that I need to be able to stretch out when I drive. Plus , if your a tall guy why would you want a restriction on leg room that was engineered into the vehicle . This design restricts your knee and limits how you position your foot. Since it’s close to the 4th of July how about this quote, Give me liberty (freedom) or give me death.
Just because I'm curious, what do you do with your right foot? How do you stretch out that leg since there is a gas pedal in the way? Not trying to be confrontational in any way, just curious if it bothers you not being able to stretch out that leg. It's cool if you like not having a dead pedal, and it's cool if you like having one. For me it's not a restriction on leg room. I'm just more comfortable being able to rest my foot on something so my preference would be to have a dead pedal.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
surely a personal preference. I am 6' tall and am very comfortable in my laramie..I recently drove the 1200 miles from sheridan, wy to home near ft. worth straight thru and altho plenty tired when I got home, was never uncomfortable. the truck handles so well and gets pretty good mileage so it has become our vehicle of choice for long trips over my wife's infiniti.
With you 100% I am 6'2" with long legs. No dead pedal for me!
In fact we purchased the RAM specifically as a "touring" vehicle. We have numerous quite long trips in the Ram. It has been perfect for long distance travel with long days behind the wheel.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm 6'1 and my wife is 5'10. I have a regular cab short bed you see in my avatar and we travel in it every trip we take because I enjoy every thing about it. Took a 1900 mile round trip in 5 days in it and not even 1 complaint about comfort even from the wife! Top that! Have not and will not ever consider ANY other brand besides a Mopar, no such thing as a perfect vehicle, what's great in one may not be in others but the pros has always beat the cons in my cars! LOL

Last edited:

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I found out what my 18 2500 was worth on trade I immediately started looking. I want a long bed 3500, and unless I take a tradesman or chassis cab, there aren't any to be found-and no clue when production will be coming back on line so I can order one.

I can't believe I'm even thinking it but I'm considering selling the truck and just banking the cash til I'm able to order and get a Longhorn 3500 like I want it.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Weird that I have never noticed it before, probably because of the parking break being in that spot when engaged. I didn't mind having it in my Santa Fe (pre-Ram) but really not noticing it at the moment. As the seat is higher than the Santa Fe, I usually just have my leg pulled back towards me. I'll probably notice it more when I make a long trip.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Weird that I have never noticed it before, probably because of the parking break being in that spot when engaged. I didn't mind having it in my Santa Fe (pre-Ram) but really not noticing it at the moment. As the seat is higher than the Santa Fe, I usually just have my leg pulled back towards me. I'll probably notice it more when I make a long trip.
Anything over 4 hours is when I need it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You want a don't trade in your ram this is a guy at works 5th gen bumper around the tow hooks. Every rock chip has already turned into a big rust spot with the paint flaked off. Brutal for a fairly new truck.View attachment 463239

Two things to remember:

1) that is the body colored bumpers, chrome is still much harder
2) not every 5th gen with body colored bumpers looks like that. I could just as easy find a 4th gen rust bucket and say "oh dear, don't buy a 4th gen."

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Two things to remember:

1) that is the body colored bumpers, chrome is still much harder
2) not every 5th gen with body colored bumpers looks like that. I could just as easy find a 4th gen rust bucket and say "oh dear, don't buy a 4th gen."
That's probably about the most extreme case I've seen. Definitely abused. It looks like a Rebel, but I didn't know any of them had the body colored bumper and skid plate. Something tells me that was an aftermarket paint job gone bad.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's probably about the most extreme case I've seen. Definitely abused. It looks like a Rebel, but I didn't know any of them had the body colored bumper and skid plate. Something tells me that was an aftermarket paint job gone bad.
It's a sport. The rest of the truck looks good including the front end plastic parts. Not even that many chips on the plastic bumper. Factory paint. They sand the roads out here in the winter so chips are unavoidable. I see lots of rusted out everything, but nothing that extreme that fast. Seems like every small chip led to a large flake of paint coming off. Finding a rusted out 4th is easy. They've been around since 2009.