Don’t trade in your Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Catching the tail end of this thread, but Ill hopefully be trading in my '17 Laramie 4x4 tomorrow.
I still owe $18k, they are offering me $36k, and I only financed it for $30k two years ago. Ill actually MAKE MONEY right now by trading it in.
Granted, I have thrown some money at it, adding stuff... I think its crazy not to for a 2020 Laramie 4x4.

Would you trade? Heres both trucks. They want $52k for the new one, but with $18k to put to that im only financing $34k.

View attachment 463720

View attachment 463722
For me I would only do it on a new vehicle with full warranty. The 2020 is used and you're going from the problems you know to the problems you don't. Secondary would be how many miles are on yours versus how many miles on the new one. My last truck wasn't 2003 2500 that I bought brand new and my current truck is a 2018 that I bought brand new in 2019. I only have 7,000 miles on it and keep getting pinged to trade it in but I like the look of the 4th gen better and I figure why go into deeper debt when I am very happy with what I have right now. So my answer is no I wouldn't trade but that is based on the knowledge of my vehicle. At the end of the day it's what you want and if you trade let us know and wish you good luck with it.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i hate dead pedals

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
surely a personal preference. I am 6' tall and am very comfortable in my laramie..I recently drove the 1200 miles from sheridan, wy to home near ft. worth straight thru and altho plenty tired when I got home, was never uncomfortable. the truck handles so well and gets pretty good mileage so it has become our vehicle of choice for long trips over my wife's infiniti.
6'4" here and after 1.5 years of driving 10 miles back and forth to work just did a 5 hour 1-way trip. More comfortable than all but maybe 4 vehicles I've ever owned (Saabs and Mercedes).

Greek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You want a don't trade in your ram this is a guy at works 5th gen bumper around the tow hooks. Every rock chip has already turned into a big rust spot with the paint flaked off. Brutal for a fairly new truck.View attachment 463239
Had paint chip lower rockers to primer ram says only responsible for defective paint they will not cover it good luck because rocks caused damage at 26k 2019 Laramie.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Both are nice trucks but with one common flaw, each truck has a foot rest for the drivers left leg. Which means you can’t stretch out your legs. I’m 6-1 , not very big or heavy and I just couldn’t get comfortable.
I'm 6'2 with long legs, over 300Lbs, and have no comfort issues in the Ford or RAMs with bench options. I could stretch when I wanted to.

GMC the jump seat hits my arm in an akward place when up. The ride and some of the controlls are way too ruff for my likling.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
FYI , the dead pedal in the Ford and GMC are not removable , in that they are part of the metal firewall. I guess it’s a personal choice, I have a trick knee that I need to be able to stretch out when I drive. Plus , if your a tall guy why would you want a restriction on leg room that was engineered into the vehicle . This design restricts your knee and limits how you position your foot. Since it’s close to the 4th of July how about this quote, Give me liberty (the freedom to stretch my leg) or give me death.
OK, first of all realize that Pareto's Law (an 80/20 split) rules corporate America. And most of non-corporate America and the world as well.

The long and short of it is that they build trucks for the 80%, not the 20%. In fact I would bet that the way everyone builds their trucks/sedans/SUVs/SportCoupes/whathaveyou "fit" more than 90% of the target audience. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 95%. You know why? Their primary goal is to sell as many vehicles as possible, and the best way to thwart that is to make a vehicle that doesn't "fit" a certain group of people.

I'm a tall guy at 6'2" and 210-230 depending on time of year, and never missed a dead pedal. But, I bet I would appreciate one. I have one in my undersized Porsche Boxster and like it there. BUT I don't have leg joint problems. Like 99% of the rest of the population.

Nevertheless, I'm glad your minority problem has kept you in the fold.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I just traded my Ram 2500 for a Silverado 2500 LT. Really had no choice since I could not locate a Ram 2500 with gas engine and shortbed in Tradesman or Bighorn trim. Needed to close a deal by 12/31 for tax write off. They did give me exactly what I paid for my 2018 with 30k miles. So far I am happy but time will tell.

Attachments

• 20211214_095653.jpg
    20211214_095653.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 10

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well I just traded my Ram 2500 for a Silverado 2500 LT. Really had no choice since I could not locate a Ram 2500 with gas engine and shortbed in Tradesman or Bighorn trim. Needed to close a deal by 12/31 for tax write off. They did give me exactly what I paid for my 2018 with 30k miles. So far I am happy but time will tell.

6.6 gas? How does it perform? I'm interested in towing reports if/when you have them!

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Was looking to take advantage of the trade in values. Went to both a Ford and GMC dealership to trade in my Ram. Thought I would buy something different with more bells and whistles. Well, I changed my mind real quick once I test drove the Sierra 1500 and the F150. Both are nice trucks but with one common flaw, each truck has a foot rest for the drivers left leg. Which means you can’t stretch out your legs. I’m 6-1 , not very big or heavy and I just couldn’t get comfortable. I tried moving the seats in both vehicles to what seemed to be 100 different positions to see if I could find something that worked. Well , didn’t buy either and just decided to keep the Ram, and when this one wears out I’ll buy another .

First world problems for sure. Do you think the Taliban care about foot rests on their Toyota Helix? No, they care if they can mount a machine gun in the bed!

Think how far we've come. There used to be complaints about rust, engine failures, bad crash ratings now foot rest.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
6.6 gas? How does it perform? I'm interested in towing reports if/when you have them!
Well I can not give any towing performance since I do not tow anything. I have not put my 2500 lb truck camper on it yet but will definitely update on that when I do. One thing I can say is that the tranny in this truck seems a lot smoother than the Ram 6 speed. I just kept it at 70 with the cruise on and it never downshifted even on slight grades. Stayed at around 1800 to 2000 rpms the whole trip from Wilmington to Asheville. The Ram would constantly downshift to maintain the same speed on the same exact trip. Truck showed 16.9 mpg on the trip. This is the 6.6 gas engine. No diesel for me.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You want a don't trade in your ram this is a guy at works 5th gen bumper around the tow hooks. Every rock chip has already turned into a big rust spot with the paint flaked off. Brutal for a fairly new truck.View attachment 463239
Dead pedal don't seem so needed when you see this

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Dead pedal don't seem so needed when you see this
All painted bumpers will rust if they are not taken care of.“Chrome” Will also. Don’t worry, manufacturers will just forget the bumpers and supply plastic with foam inserts to address the issue in the the future. Look at cars and most crossovers and smaller suvs. Unbelievable how mush plastic is in those......but the plastic doesnt rust!