Don't know what to do about diff fluid and transfer case fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 8 speed.

I've been calling a few different places getting prices and info.

Ram dealer told me 290 for front and rear diff only without even asking what vehicle I have.

Quick lube + car wash place I got an oil change is 189 for everything but they don't take the covers off, they just pump it out and they would use ATF 4 for the transfer case and 75w140 for the diff fluid.

Local transmission shop told me about 100 for everything which seems low to me.

I asked both places about the Mopar BW44-44 transfer case fluid and the Mopar limited slip additive for the rear but they basically said they use an equivalent.

I asked another place about the Mopar additive and they said they have the Napa equivalents of whatever fluids I would need.

How important are the Mopar fluids? I changed my transfer case fluid on my Jeep a few years ago and remember paying a lot at the dealer for the special Mopar fluid.

IMG_20191015_131059.jpg

IMG_20191015_131052.jpg

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm the sort to just DIY all that stuff, but I have the luxury of my own driveway, good weather and good health that combine to make jobs like this easy.

As for the fluid I don't think I'd fool around experimenting on the transfer case, I think it relies on a predictable and precise amount of friction and something different could make it noisy and maybe even wear out fast. That happened on the old Jeep Varilock diffs, they were very sensitive to lubricant choice.

The LSD is probably less sensitive, I'd imagine you can get away with any old gear oil & LSD additive (or ones with the "additive" already rolled into the oil) if it meets the service requirements.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally,I would use a dealer.Whatever you choose don't use a Quick Lube car Wash type service.You will definitely regret it
I have to agree with NOT using a quick oil change outfits most of the kids working in those places don't know a filter from a roll of T paper.. :flame: and most don't know how to put the drain plug in without cross threading it...( Don't ask me how I know ) :banghead:

OP
OP
cory733

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. I'll stay away from the quick lube place.

But even the transmission shop gave me a price of 200 for everything including the transmission (which they thought I wanted by mistake).

All of this varying information is what has me worried. I've read here that the 8-speed transmission fluid change is an expensive job. So how is 200 for front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission realistic?

I'm only at 78k, so not looking to the the transmission just yet.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have STP ATF-4 in my BW 44-45 transfer case, $6.99 each, bought 2 bottles, used around 1.5 quarts.
Front Diff- Valvoline SynPower 75w90, $12.99 each, bought 2 bottles, used around 1.5quarts.
Rear Diff. Valvoline SynPower 75w140, $12.99 each bought 3 bottles, used around 2.5quarts. I have 3.92's and Didnt take the diff valve cover out. Simple drain and fill work. Did it at around 70k miles. Zero issues.

I have the 65rfe trans, bought the 2 Mopar filters from the dealer for $74 and paid $370 to my local Econo lube tune n brakes place to do the job with whatever synth fluid they had. That was at 77k miles, truck has 81k miles now, zero issues.

I will change diff and tc again myself after 30k miles, and let my local lube place do the same thing with the trans in another 70-80k miles. Theyre not a car wash though but lube tune and brake shop :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
cory733

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have STP ATF-4 in my BW 44-45 transfer case, $6.99 each, bought 2 bottles, used around 1.5 quarts.
Front Diff- Valvoline SynPower 75w90, $12.99 each, bought 2 bottles, used around 1.5quarts.
Rear Diff. Valvoline SynPower 75w140, $12.99 each bought 3 bottles, used around 2.5quarts. I have 3.92's and Didnt take the diff valve cover out. Simple drain and fill work. Did it at around 70k miles. Zero issues.

I have the 65rfe trans, bought the 2 Mopar filters from the dealer for $74 and paid $370 to my local Econo lube tune n brakes place to do the job with whatever synth fluid they had. That was at 77k miles, truck has 81k miles now, zero issues.

I will change diff and tc again myself after 30k miles, and let my local lube place do the same thing with the trans in another 70-80k miles. Theyre not a car wash though but lube tune and brake shop :)

Thanks for the info! So there was no need for the Mopar additive in the rear diff?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Ok. I'll stay away from the quick lube place.

But even the transmission shop gave me a price of 200 for everything including the transmission (which they thought I wanted by mistake).

All of this varying information is what has me worried. I've read here that the 8-speed transmission fluid change is an expensive job. So how is 200 for front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission realistic?

I'm only at 78k, so not looking to the the transmission just yet.

When you change the filter on the 8sp transmission you have to buy a new transmission pan and then the cost of the fluid is probably more than the $200 bucks quoted.

Front and rear diffs should be cheap really as this is a real simple job, well crap so is changing the transfer case fliud..lol

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info! So there was no need for the Mopar additive in the rear diff?
Nope. Most if not all synth diff fluids already have the FM additive. It's tougher now days to find synth diff fluid without it unless you go with conventional diff fluid. The bottle will say it contains FM or say something like for LSD applications.

This is what Valvoline prints in the Synpower fluid bottle:
"Valvoline SynPower™ Full Synthetic Gear Oil is formulated for ultimate protection and performance. A thermally stable, extreme-pressure gear lubricant, it is designed to operate and protect in both high and low extreme-temperature conditions. SynPower Gear Oil is specially recommended for limited-slip hypoid differentials and is compatible with conventional gear lubricants."

Last edited:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If it says "recommend" it is not required, IMO. I do not bother with cover removal if there is a low point drain plug. There is no real need to remove the cover unless you suspect something is wrong. Drain plugs on diffs are awesome. I used Mobil 1 gear lube and added some Amsoil friction modifier I had on hand. No issues with my truck with anti-spin over the last 20k miles or so. If you can't find the exact weight lube you can go up or down slightly. 75W-85 can be hard to find whereas 75W-90 is easy to find. If you are truly paranoid about warranty you want to stick with the proper weight and have it on a receipt. I would avoid any quick lube places. The rear diff is very easy to do yourself.

When you start to worry about changing the tranny fluid, make sure to use Mopar fluid for the 8 speed while under warranty. There are many cheaper alternatives once you are out of warranty though. The general consensus is to listen to the company who invented the tranny who says to do a pan drain around 60k miles rather than listen to Ram that states it being a lifetime fluid. It's not cheap as it requires a replacement pan with integrated filter and around 6 to 7 quarts of $30/qt fluid.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will use Red line fluid for front and rear dif. I would never use a qicklube place.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Changing the rear diff fluid is so easy, just buy a 14mm hex socket and do it yourself. I do this annually because of my LSD and use valvoline synthetic that includes the friction modifier. I wouldnt' worry about the front diff. Odds are the fluid is in like new condition since there are no clutch packs. As for the transfer case, replacing that fluid is a great call. I'd give that a shot yourself as well....

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
You can get limited slip additive at most parts stores. It says mopar because they can charge more. Get a good diff fluid that meets spec and you'll be good, I recommend amsoil or redline.

As for transfer case fluid, its ATF fluid. You can go to websites like amsoil.com and it says you can use their ATF fluid. The BW-44 case is the one that requires special fluid potentially. Basically take out the fill plug and dip something in. If its red its ATF, if its purple its special. In your case its ATF fluid but you could check to be sure. Some vehicles like Honda Pilot have special rear diff that require honda specific fluid and if you go to amsoil site and search the vehicle, they dont make the fluid so I trust their recommendations. Plus they would have a lot of lawsuits if it wasn't to par.

I don't like using factory fluids because there are way better aftermarket alternatives at better prices.

As long as the fluid you're buying meets the spec you will be fine.

Last edited:

Douglas Brewer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use Amsoil for front and rear differentiial and transmission is also Amsoil their website very clear on what year and model. I have a 2014 3500 cummins been using it for 80 k miles now and NO issues

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get limited slip additive at most parts stores. It says mopar because they can charge more. Get a good diff fluid that meets spec and you'll be good, I recommend amsoil or redline.

As for transfer case fluid, its ATF fluid. You can go to websites like amsoil.com and it says you can use their ATF fluid. The BW-45 case is the one that requires special fluid I believe. Basically take out the fill plug and dip something in. If its red its ATF, if its purple its special. In your case its ATF fluid.

I don't like using factory fluids because there are way better aftermarket alternatives at better prices.

As long as the fluid you're buying meets the spec you will be fine.

In case anyone is reading, the BW 44-44 is the one that requires the special fluid.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
In case anyone is reading, the BW 44-44 is the one that requires the special fluid.

Yes you are correct, but I was told by my dealer that if you put your finger in the fill hole and its red to use atf. If its purple you're forced to use their fluid.

Amsoil still states their fluid meets the 44 spec. I'll update my post.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you are correct, but I was told by my dealer that if you put your finger in the fill hole and its red to use atf. If its purple you're forced to use their fluid.

Amsoil still states their fluid meets the 44 spec. I'll update my post.

No problem.

Still under factory warranty and I have MaxCare Lifetime, so as much as I hate to do it, I would probably stick with factory (or at least factory approved) fluids. Im sure there are non-OEM fluids out there that meet the spec, when the time comes I will look for them. Im also pretty sure they use unique colors for quickly checking to see if the fluid is "correct", which helps them deny warranty fixes right away lol

I think for diffs and xfer case I wouldn't worry so much but for the 8 speed trans I would for sure stick with OEM.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
No problem.

Still under factory warranty and I have MaxCare Lifetime, so as much as I hate to do it, I would probably stick with factory (or at least factory approved) fluids. Im sure there are non-OEM fluids out there that meet the spec, when the time comes I will look for them. Im also pretty sure they use unique colors for quickly checking to see if the fluid is "correct", which helps them deny warranty fixes right away lol

I think for diffs and xfer case I wouldn't worry so much but for the 8 speed trans I would for sure stick with OEM.

There is the Magnuson-Moss act which prevents companies from voiding your warranty because you used aftermarket services and parts. Hence, if it requires GL-5 spec and you use that spec they can't void your warranty. Just keep your receipts.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Ram dealer told me 290 for front and rear diff only without even asking what vehicle I have.

Are you positive it’s both front and rear? I’m 5k miles away from having to do mine, and my dealer quoted me $600 for both.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Are you positive it’s both front and rear? I’m 5k miles away from having to do mine, and my dealer quoted me $600 for both.

$600 to change your diff fluid front and back?

Thats way way to much money for the job at hand.