Door Speaker Replacement, Non-Alpine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tec_41

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

I'm fairly savvy with car audio. Came from an 05 Silverado with goofy Bose amped 2-ohm speakers, never bothered upgrading those, just added head unit and sub with a line output converter. I just picked up a 2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman with the non-Alpine uConnect 8.4. From what I've gathered so far, it looks like the only speaker configuration I would have is the 6-speaker setup. 6x9 in the doors, whatevers in the dash. I've also read the door speakers are common 4ohm. Is all this correct?

I'm asking because I've already blown a rear door speaker. I enjoy music with some bass, and can't go another week with a blown speaker. If they're a simple 4ohm setup then I have all the options in the world, but I don't want to replace them with some harsh sounding 3-way speakers when the stockers are just basic 1-ways. Is there a go-to you folks use? Or should I not worry about replacing them with 2/3-way speakers?

Thank you!

Darth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have lower level 5.0 radio with 6 speakers. Ram engineers have it set up with 3.5" 8ohm speakers in dash, 6x9 4ohm speakers in doors and rear. Your doors and rears should be the same 4ohm 6x9's. On my stock system the front speakers have low frequency limited (highs only), front door speakers have high frequency limited (lows/bass only), and rear speakers have both high and low frequency limited. I'm not sure if the uconnect 8.4 splits the frequencies this way or not. If it does, something simple like these Rockford Fosgate Prime R169X2 6x9's should do fine. Just get a speaker wiring harness and you're good to go.
upload_2018-10-25_15-15-7.jpeg

Darth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those Rockfords sell for about $45/pair and probably $7 for the speaker wiring harness. You can easily change out the speakers yourself, plenty of youtube videos out there

OP
OP
tec_41

tec_41

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, Darth! Good info to know.

My only concern is losing too much bass. When I first got the truck I was impressed with the bass they could produce without a sub, which now makes sense since I blew a speaker in less than 2 weeks :p. I assume with most aftermarket 2 or 3 way speakers I can expect to lose some vs the paper crappers that blow.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I got these for the front doors for my 2018 six speaker system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014Z7IIV6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Hey, they're $6 more now.)

I was surprised at the amount of bass they put out. Check the frequency response chart of any speaker you are looking at. These went a little lower in bass than most.

These are 2 3/4" deep and slipped right into the front door spots. The front door speaker holes are not as deep as the back door speaker holes. Because of this additional depth there are more options in 6X9's for the back doors. I think these would be fine in the rear doors.

My thread:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ec...ker-system-2018-big-horn-uconnect-8-4.121881/

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could always upgrade with the Mopar Kicker replacements. I had them in my 13 Ram with the 5.0 Uconnect and I was very pleased with the sound, and no adapters are needed so it’s plug and play.

Darth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think anything you get will be better than stock. I wouldn't get too caught up on two way/three way speakers. They are primarily rear fill speakers, most of the imaging and detail will come from the fronts/doors. Three ways are probably overkill for your application. Two way speakers will do fine. Just remember the higher the sensitivity decibel rating for the speaker the louder they tend to play (more efficient with whatever power is given) something like that. Also almost all of the aftermarket speakers (Kicker, Rockford, Infinity, etc) are manufactured to a much higher standard/quality (rubber surrounds, silk dome tweeters, bigger magnets, etc) than the factory models, so when you replace the factory speakers with aftermarket you end up getting better sound (cleaner highs, better/tighter bass).

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have rockford power 3 way 6x9 in my rear doors, and rockford T265 6.5" components in my front doors. They crank! Whatever you decide to go with, make sure to amplify them.