DPF cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This question is for those of you that have left your CTD 100% stock. Has your DPF ever gotten to the point where it was full? Did you have it cleaned? At how many miles did this occur?
This is my first diesel so I don't know what to expect.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you get a DPF 100% full warning on the dash, there is a problem. You may get 80% and/or 90% full warnings before then with a suggestion to drive the vehicle so the a regeneration cycle can happen. If it does hit 100% the dealer can do a forced regeneration cycle and also troubleshoot what caused the DPF warning

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have not gotten any warnings. I was just wondering if it will ever happen.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you short drive the truck a lot you might get to the 80% warning but usually if get anything more than that there is likely a problem.
Regen cycles will happen without you noticing it unless your monitoring for it.
Using a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and an app like Torque, you can read the EGTB1S3 temperature which is the outlet of the DPF. When it stays above 1000°F it's most likely in regen. You can also read other variables like the EGTB1S1 (pre-turbo) and EGTB1S2 (post-turbo), good for checking when idling the truck to cool the turbo.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought a used 2011 in AZ, went to get smog check in California and it failed. Turns out the ecm had a tune and the Nox/Dpf filters were gutted. Dealer sent me used ones, bought another ecm flashed to my VIN with all the updates.

I blew out the Nox filter with my leaf blower and used Purple Power to clean the Dpf filter, also cleaned every component of the egr system with it. That stuff works great! Anyway, I rinsed it using my garden hose and then compressed air to get as much water out as I could. I let it sit outside for a few days to completely dry. Installed the filters along with the new ecm and with in 50 miles, all the IM Readiness monitors were green except 1 (allowed 2) so I took it to get smogged, passed.

So yes, they can be cleaned and it works rather well.