Draglink clamp bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texastruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had an alignment done at the dealership and the steering wheel was off center when completed on my 2019 2500 4×4. So its easy enough to adjust the drag link so I centered the steering wheel but the bolt for the clamp on the drag link (new style for 2019/2020) was on too tight and slightly bent. I picked up a new clamp bolt from dealer and installed. I torqued it to 50 ft lbs which is the recommended torque for a 7/16 grade 8 bolt and it shows a slight bend also. This may be normal because of the angle of the holes in the clamp or did I also over tighten? If this bolt breaks/loosens I would loose all steering. Any insight would be appreciated.

zrojas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I had an alignment done at the dealership and the steering wheel was off center when completed on my 2019 2500 4×4. So its easy enough to adjust the drag link so I centered the steering wheel but the bolt for the clamp on the drag link (new style for 2019/2020) was on too tight and slightly bent. I picked up a new clamp bolt from dealer and installed. I torqued it to 50 ft lbs which is the recommended torque for a 7/16 grade 8 bolt and it shows a slight bend also. This may be normal because of the angle of the holes in the clamp or did I also over tighten? If this bolt breaks/loosens I would loose all steering. Any insight would be appreciated.
I attached the torque spec page that show the drag link for your reference. View attachment Torque spec1.pdf

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Texastruck

Texastruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wow thats a quick reply. Thanks for the info. Do you think a slight bend in the bolt due to clamp holes alignment is ok? Looks like I didn't over tighten.

zrojas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I would think that the bolt should not be bent. If that was "normal", I'd expect it would be a bolt that would need replaced every time which doesn't make sense for an adjustment point. Someone probably got over zealous with an impact if I had to guess.

OP
OP
Texastruck

Texastruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree, however with a clamp has its tightened the alignment of the holes change angles and has the bolt tightens it must bend to the clamp angle. So I wonder if the clamp was so over tightened that it bent the clamp out of spec. The new bolt that I installed to 50 ft lbs doesn't have nearly the bend the old one had but its still worth getting some opinions here with it being a potential safety issue.

zrojas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I would replace the clamp as well to ensure you have the proper torque and clamping force. The clamp is likely fatigued as well.

zrojas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anytime, I can look up any of the service procedures for you as well if you need them. Sned me a PM.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm. Yea it looks like it is designed to bend the bolt. The two mating surfaces are not flat to each-other.