Driver Door Says its open.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WorkmanLtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Hey everyone, hopefully posting this in the right place. I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie Eco Diesel Crew Cab. 77K miles.

Yesterday the truck started saying my driver side door is open and it isn't open at all. I wiggled the wires that are behind the rubber boot in the door jamb area and it quit for an hour or 2 then started doing it again. My interior lights stay on and if I can't auto start the truck or move it around the farm without my seat belt on. I would greatly greatly appreciate some help, thank you!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Where your Left Foot touches against the interior panel.
There should be a removable kick panel, with a bunch of wires & maybe a sensor or module or 2

I think it is called the Cowl Trim Panel

OP
OP
WorkmanLtx

WorkmanLtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Where your Left Foot touches against the interior panel.
There should be a removable kick panel, with a bunch of wires & maybe a sensor or module or 2

I think it is called the Cowl Trim Panel
Thank you for the response! I'll check it out today after church!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My interior lights stay on and if I can't auto start the truck or move it around the farm without my seat belt on.
If memory serves me correctly, there is a single pink wire that goes to the door latch that is the signal for the door being closed. When the door is fully latched that wire is grounded.

As for the interior lights, turn the dimmer knob to the left all the way, the interior lights will turn off.
To get around the auto-park feature, leave the seatbelt plugged in, you can actually stretch the passenger side one over. I have a 3" rigid seatbelt extension for this purpose, they're about $20 on the Internet.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, hopefully posting this in the right place. I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie Eco Diesel Crew Cab. 77K miles.

Yesterday the truck started saying my driver side door is open and it isn't open at all. I wiggled the wires that are behind the rubber boot in the door jamb area and it quit for an hour or 2 then started doing it again. My interior lights stay on and if I can't auto start the truck or move it around the farm without my seat belt on. I would greatly greatly appreciate some help, thank you!!

I use a Seat belt extender, like crash68 mentioned.

This allows me to drive on my property or from the community mailbox up the road, without the seatbelt.

Stupid nannies.

I've owned several of these 3" rigid for different vehicles.

seatbeltextenderpro.jpg

And welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

OP
OP
WorkmanLtx

WorkmanLtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I use a Seat belt extender, like crash68 mentioned.

This allows me to drive on my property or from the community mailbox up the road, without the seatbelt.

Stupid nannies.

I've owned several of these 3" rigid for different vehicles.

View attachment 534399

And View attachment 534400 to Ram Forum. :cool:

Thank you!! I just hopefully want to get this resolved I can't stand the interior lights staying on while driving

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you!! I just hopefully want to get this resolved I can't stand the interior lights staying on while driving

You're most welcome.

Yes, that's just nasty, especially at night.

Hopefully, you will locate a defective door switch or the wiring for the switch.

Here is another solution for deleting the seatbelt reminder chime.

I used this method on my '21 Warlock before I left the dealership lot. I had to get the seatbelt extender because deleting the chime works well for the noise interruption but the nanny still monopolizes the EVIC for 10 seconds or more. That drove me nuts.

The confirmation chime sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. I didn't have to worry about any belt retraction in between plugging and unplugging the seatbelt, either.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
you may want to open up the wiring between the cab and door and look for bare ,exposed or broke wires .

OP
OP
WorkmanLtx

WorkmanLtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
You're most welcome.

Yes, that's just nasty, especially at night.

Hopefully, you will locate a defective door switch or the wiring for the switch.

Here is another solution for deleting the seatbelt reminder chime.

I used this method on my '21 Warlock before I left the dealership lot. I had to get the seatbelt extender because deleting the chime works well for the noise interruption but the nanny still monopolizes the EVIC for 10 seconds or more. That drove me nuts.

The confirmation chime sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. I didn't have to worry about any belt retraction in between plugging and unplugging the seatbelt, either.

Stupid question but there is a door switch? On my old ram it was like a button looking thing. On this one I don't see a switch. I'm going to tackle this today shortly. Thank you guys so much for the help so far!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Stupid question but there is a door switch?
There is no physical door switches like they used in older vehicles, it's done in the door latch inside the door. I described this in my post above, just wasn't sure of the wire color.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If memory serves me correctly, there is a single pink wire that goes to the door latch that is the signal for the door being closed. When the door is fully patched that wire is grounded.

As for the interior lights, turn the dimmer knob to the left all the way, the interior lights will turn off.
To get around the auto-park feature, leave the seatbelt plugged in, you can actually stretch the passenger side one over. I have a 3" rigid seatbelt extension for this purpose, they're about $20 on the Internet.
Fully "patched"? :cool:

Wendell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter

Based upon my own experience with my Dodge Ram 1500, your problem is almost certainly a break in a wire (or wires) inside the connector between the door and the body of the truck. The more often the door is open the more likely this is to occur. The wires break due to metal fatigue from the openings. The solution is to remove the door-to-body connector cover, inspect each of the wires, and repair as needed. The breaks may be inside the insulation and not very obvious at first. Flexing the wires should help find the breaks.

WayneK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same problem with the door light staying on. The latch was adjusted so that the door closed tighter. That solved it

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My belly is larger than it should be ..

I bought the 3" rigid seat belt extender, it solved more than 1 problem
i can move my Ram without buckling up :)
It's great for when i position my truck to park it