Driving 2500 with 6 lugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BradN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Had tires rotated on my '14 PW today and the shop cross threaded/stripped two studs on one wheel.
Have to leave tomorrow on a 700 mile drive. Not loaded or doing any towing.
Would you drive it on 6 lugs?

Last edited:

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Had tires rotated on my '14 PW today and the shop cross threaded/stripped two studs on one wheel.
Have to leave tomorrow on a 700 mile drive. Not loaded or doing any towing.
Would you drive it on 4 lugs?

Seriously?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
No, I wouldn’t.

However, 8-2=6.

I would probably drive it on 6, especially if the 2 broken are not adjacent. And if there’s no additional stresses like lifts or monster tires.

But I’d personally check every stud on every wheel before I drove it at all. The same idiot touched every one.

OP
OP
B

BradN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No, I wouldn’t.

However, 8-2=6.

I would probably drive it on 6, especially if the 2 broken are not adjacent. And if there’s no additional stresses like lifts or monster tires.

But I’d personally check every stud on every wheel before I drove it at all. The same idiot touched every one.
Duh, no idea where my mind was. Edited the op to indicate I can do 2nd grade math.
Maybe 1st grade
Anyway, to those with the resounding "NO!s", are you still of the same opinion?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I wouldn't chance it if the two stripped studs are adjacent to each other. Otherwise you'll probably be fine as long as you're not hauling or towing anything.

Why didn't the shop just replaced the damaged studs? When I worked in tire shops the vehicle wouln't have left the shop without new studs.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How many more did they strip and just left alone ,without saying anything about them ? I would loosen then retorque all wheels they touched .

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It will be fine ....until it isn't.

Not something I would risk on a 700 mile drive. It will be an expensive fix if it does fail and it will be out of your pocket. Not to mention very inconvenient if it leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

zrock

Reaction score
heck no.... and that shop can't tell you that they cannot find replacement studs anywhere... THey should not have let you leave with the truck as they are now liable if anything goes wrong...

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they are the stock wheels on the truck yet and the studs are not adjacent, I think it would be fine - after checking and loosing and retorquing the other lugs on that wheel. BUT check to see if the wheels are hub centric or lug centric.

Most stock wheels are hub centric - to check is the hole in the center of the wheel just about the same size as the hub or is there a significant gap between the hole and the hub?
If the wheels are lug centric (wheel hole larger than the hub), I would not go 700 miles - maybe 7 but not 700.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My question: why would you have to. It is a ten minute job for them to remove the stripped studs and replace them. I would be making some serious noise to get this done immediately or the shop would be covering a rental for the trip. No way in hell I would be driving the truck in that condition.

Last edited:

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My question: why would you have to. It is a ten minute job for them to remove the stripped studs and replace them. I would be making some serious noise to get this done immediately or the shop would be covering a rental for the trip. No way in hell I would be driving the truck in that condition.
I guess it depends if the studs in question were on the front or rear. Front they could've just put a new hub on? but the rear would need to pull the Axles? Im familiar with solid axle Jeeps, but not 2500’s

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I guess it depends if the studs in question were on the front or rear. Front they could've just put a new hub on? but the rear would need to pull the Axles? Im familiar with solid axle Jeeps, but not 2500’s
Front or back, all you have to do is press the lug out and replace it. You dont need to remove the hub if you have even half a clue what you are doing. I can do them at home easily.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never had to replace one on an actual axle. Only on the front, so I just replaced the hub assemblies. Mind you my Jeeps were well used before I acquired them and some needed wheel bearings anyways. Never had to press in anything but bearings and ball joints. Just didnt know if there was actual clearance behind the flange to do so.
The OP’s shop techs must watch a lot NASCAR running on lugnuts with air tools lol. That always made me cringe seeing that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is common for tire shops that work on trucks 1 ton & larger to use Air Guns to tighten lugs,
They also forget to turn the air pressure down when working on smaller vehicles.
They will never admit that the Gun pressure was set too high , as soon as the tire guy realized what he had done, he reset the pressure.
Then the store manager shows you the gun & the setting
Then they tell you that either there was a fault in the lug, or some other excuse.

It is not worth the hassle to raise a stink, you can't win, unless you were filming it