Dual Battery & large alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
while i was down in baja we had pretty gnarly pull out of some deep clay and the winch actually hit the PW kill switch on my engine battery. Given that, i'm going to install a dual battery and bigger alternator.

I have the 2012 PW but i guess the original owner did not op for the larger alternator.

any recommendations on setup?

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
After talking to the dealership, it doesnt seem a dual alternator was an option for 2012 and they did not seem enthusiastic about attempting to upgrade it

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I tried to get the 220 Alt but I added it as an afterthought and it's the only thing I didn't get so I'm stuck with the 180 for now.

I assume you can just swap them out if you want to...

And just a thought, your alternator is 5 years old, maybe it's not up to 100%? Or maybe your battery is going? You might not need to upgrade, just replace back to 100%... (wishful thinking. :) )

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I tried to get the 220 Alt but I added it as an afterthought and it's the only thing I didn't get so I'm stuck with the 180 for now.

I assume you can just swap them out if you want to...

And just a thought, your alternator is 5 years old, maybe it's not up to 100%? Or maybe your battery is going? You might not need to upgrade, just replace back to 100%... (wishful thinking. :) )

so i could upgrade at least to the 220 at the dealership? the battery is only a year old so i think its good.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have seen videos of people revving their engines in older power wagons while winching. I guess this is why. I did order mine with a 220 amp alternator just to be safe.

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
dealership said you cant just swap in a larger alternator so you need to find an aftermarket kit of some sort

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
dealership said you cant just swap in a larger alternator so you need to find an aftermarket kit of some sort

Not sure I believe them. I would go to Autozone and take a look at both and see if they are the same size. Bet the 220 is the same size with just more wire windings inside or some such thing. I'd be really surprised if the 220 made that much of a difference. But thats just a guess, I could be wrong. :)

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have factory dual alts... i would look into that... you'll need a lot more juice for those winches than 40amps extra after factoring in loss of efficiency

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't think anything was ever resolved in that thread.

Yup... but may be worth reviving if you want to pursue it... may have more info by now... should be doable just will cost a lot more than the factory option

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yup... but may be worth reviving if you want to pursue it... may have more info by now... should be doable just will cost a lot more than the factory option

That's one of two factory options I wish I had that I didn't get.

TheCool Robert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok...well i NEED the dual battery setup on my 2015 ram 1500 lonestar. I'm running a winch and other lighting. I have reached out to 2 dealerships AND to corporate engineering with the question....(IF I RUN A DUAL BATTERRY SETUP, WILL MY COMPUTER SEE IT AND THROW CODES?) Corporates response below:

Good morning. Below is what the field engineer replied back to us. I hope this helps and hope this is what you’re looking for:

Hello Thomas,

From looking at the drawings we don’t see a problem with what the customer is trying to do schematically as long as he is using the proper sized cables and routing so they can’t short to anything. One thing we don’t know is if it may cause an issue with the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) calibration . The dual battery vehicles only use a single IBS and according to one of the guys we asked in our charging group we don’t believe there would be any issue with the IBS adding the second battery but wouldn’t know until they try it.

Thanks,

Ram Commercial Vehicle Engineering

ARENT THESE GUYS ENGINEERS? CANT THEY FIND ANSWERS?

Thomas Pappas

Ed Voyles C-D-J-R

Service Consultant

Truck Center

(W) 770-429-7000

Extension 5604

(F) 678-223-2481

"Moving People"

So, since they cant confirm nor deny that the IBS sensor will catch the alteration are they at least willing to call out any factory parts needed such as factory wiring harnesses etc..... did they mention anything about alternator size or any other questions back to me?
Show quoted text

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
so i could upgrade at least to the 220 at the dealership? the battery is only a year old so i think its good.

Are you sure your winch is rated for continuous operation? Some can only be ran for a certain amount of time every so many minutes. (duty cycle)

TheCool Robert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My winch requires a minimum 650cca battery, my battery is a factory 730cca and I CANNOT upgrade the size of the battery already been that route and searched 7 vendors all the big boys. My option is to add an additional battery for the winch and other accessories just to be safe and protect my truck and my winch from starving for power. I can get most the parts from the dealer BUT they cant confirm if my CPU will give me a problem with the battery now being a dual setup.

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am very happy that it was an option to have dual alternators on my 2017. I run all my accessories including the winch on the second alternator. The truck has a total of 380 amps from two alternator lugs but you must supply anything after that like fuse boxes, relays, wiring etc.

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am very happy that it was an option to have dual alternators on my 2017. I run all my accessories including the winch on the second alternator. The truck has a total of 380 amps from two alternator lugs but you must supply anything after that like fuse boxes, relays, wiring etc.

Dual alternators is an excellent thing, especially on a power wagon, that is used like a power wagon should be!!

That said, if properly wired, it doesnt matter, or discriminate which alternator is used to charge batteries.

Dual alternator/battery setups (in factory form) are wired in parallel. Meaning that its not concerned where the battery positive connections are made. Assuming the cable or wiring is adequate for the load its connected to from either battery/alternator (and no corrosion or poor connections), the result will be the same. They will charge the battery(ies) the same, and the load will draw amperage from the battery(ies) just the same.

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There is no need for a second battery with a load sharing dual alternator factory set up. The second battery would just be a waste. I have 380 amps available that's huge!

TheCool Robert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The winch I'm installing draws 330amps and spec says you must run at least a 650cca battery.... my battery is a 730cca and NOT much of a buffer. I have a 2015 1500 lonestar. The factory has already confirmed there is not currently an option for a larger battery, or alternator. I've got the engineering team investigating if I run a dual battery setup WILL the computer see the second battery and throw codes. I'm essentially putting a2500 dual battery setup in a 1500.