Dual Battery & large alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Use a second (and possibly third) high capacity deep cycle battery isolated from the truck's battery(use a starter solenoid). If you do a lot winching, a high output alternator will recharge the batteries quicker.

TheCool Robert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also, I've already confirmed through several battery manufacturers that their are also no dual post batteries on the market for 2015 ram 1500 models. The batteries on the market are reverse polarity in regards to which post is + & -

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
How about using an inverter with a battery quick charger for when you need the winch.

TheCool Robert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm talking to a company that makes batteries in Australia called kickass batteries. They have a glass matt battery line up and ALL KINDS of goodies that they are putting out to solve unique issues. They have DC to DC Chargers and other stuff to fix any needs.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How about using an inverter with a battery quick charger for when you need the winch.
Where would you find 120V off-road in the back country? (and you'd have to carry several miles of extension cord...lol)
Using a 12V to 120V inverter would be wasting energy due to the conversion losses.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Where would you find 120V off-road in the back country? (and you'd have to carry several miles of extension cord...lol)
Using a 12V to 120V inverter would be wasting energy due to the conversion losses.

What kind of losses are we talking?

TheCool Robert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm trying to stay on topic. Not get into load calculations and energy conversion. The issue is simply put. The design of the factory cabling and connector locations limits me to a certain battery build and cca. So, I need to install a second battery just for accessories. I'm told it needs to be similar to my other battery. I really want to know if the factory CPU will throw codes if I connect a second battery in parallel.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I'm trying to stay on topic. Not get into load calculations and energy conversion. The issue is simply put. The design of the factory cabling and connector locations limits me to a certain battery build and cca. So, I need to install a second battery just for accessories. I'm told it needs to be similar to my other battery. I really want to know if the factory CPU will throw codes if I connect a second battery in parallel.
Sorry

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

No codes as long as you hook them up + to + & - to-. If you do it the other way you’ll have 24V and that’s bad. Putting them in series like I said will add cca’s the best way I found is a top post to side post batteries.
I built a mud truck with 2- 1000 cca marine batteries seriesed I used those due to the deep cycle. Using them I was able to play my 4000 watt system with no worries. I could also use my 15K winch with no worries about a dead battery.

I’m not saying to do this nor am I responsible for mistakes made while doing this mod.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He wants to build a perpetual motion machine. Start with a battery (12vdc) -> inverter (120vac) -> battery charger (back to 12vdc) and have more power than at the start.

In short, that's the problem. Power is never created or destroyed, it can only change forms. In each power conversion, you will loose about 15% power in high end inverters and battery chargers. So, if you start at 12v supplying 1000watts to the inverter, you would be lucky to get 750watts out of the charger.

To the OP. Take the battery out of your boat/lawn mower/wife's honda, wire the 2 together and zip tie that joker in. Tell us if it throws a code.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No codes as long as you hook them up + to + & - to-. If you do it the other way you’ll have 24V and that’s bad. Putting them in series like I said will add cca’s the best way I found is a top post to side post batteries.
I built a mud truck with 2- 1000 cca marine batteries parallel I used those due to the deep cycle. Using them I was able to play my 4000 watt system with no worries. I could also use my 15K winch with no worries about a dead battery.

I’m not saying to do this nor am I responsible for mistakes made while doing this mod.

FIFY. Unless your system wwas 24v

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
FIFY. Unless your system wwas 24v

Only Diesel engines are 24V and that’s only used for the starter. The rest of the vehicle is a 12V system. If the batteries are linked + to - and -to+ that will make a 24V system which will Destroy the truck and possibly burn it to the ground.
In which I will not be held liable for whom ever hooks it up in such a manner.
pos to pos and neg to neg...
(650+650=1300 cca)
I hope this clarifies any thoughts.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yessir, I got that hooking batteries + to + and - to - gives you 12v (and this is called parallel) and connecting + to - gives you 24v between the unused + and - (and this is called series). What you said was you had 2 1000 cca batteries connected in series (giving 24v) right after you described a parallel connection. That is why I FIFY changing series to parallel.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No codes as long as you hook them up + to + & - to-. If you do it the other way you’ll have 24V and that’s bad. Putting them in parallel like I said will add cca’s the best way I found is a top post to side post batteries.
I built a mud truck with 2- 1000 cca marine batteries paralleled I used those due to the deep cycle. Using them I was able to play my 4000 watt system with no worries. I could also use my 15K winch with no worries about a dead battery.

Squeeze me, missed the first series comment.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Squeeze me, missed the first series comment.

Corrections I see. Thank ya, I need all the help I can get sometimes

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Corrections I see. Thank ya, I need all the help I can get sometimes

TheCool Robert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, after waiting for the answer from an engineer at ram... I got this crappy response that doesnt even answer my specific question at all!!! Can I run 2 batteries in a 2015 1500 lonestar running them parallel?
Idiot answer follows:
Dear Customer:

Case #: 34657936
VIN: 1C6RR6LTXFS582392
Vehicle Description: RAM 1500 SLT 4X2

Good evening James , Here is what the technical team came back with . According to available information, there is no Mopar accessory winch kit available for this vehicle. In addition, Chrysler does not recommend modifying or altering any vehicle from the original manufacturer's specifications. Therefore, we are unable to assist this customer with their modification/alteration requests. Regards, Joe

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Find a friend with a car. Disconnect their battery. Connect it to your battery with jumper cables. Start your truck and see if it throws codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk