Dual battery setup need a DC to DC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn tucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, my truck is a 18 2500 5.7 I'm going to run a dual bat setup. Does anyone know if a regular smart isolator will run it or do I need the DC to DC. I'm just guessing pcm runs voltage regulation. Just going to use for winch and some lights. I get that DC to DC also gets me more battery choices

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Depends on what battery you use. If you go with an isolator/ACR, you need to have identical batteries due to discharge rates.

If you want to go with a deep cycle then you need a DC to DC charger.

I’m working this issue in my 2500 right now also. Two Group 34’s will fit where our main battery is.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OP
OP
Shawn tucker

Shawn tucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess what I'm reading is that the smart alternators don't work with regular battery isolators well enough to keep the second battery charged. On a long drive they shut down and provide no additional charge if not needed. So second battery takes longer to get charged. Just wonder if anyone has had that experience

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, I’m not sure, which is why the Automatic Charge relay seems to be the way to go. If you wire them in series it would look like one big battery. But you’d have to be carful on how you set it up as to not over voltage.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

jonhimes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Were you guys able to install that second battery? also in the location of the cummins battery?