Dumb frame question, I know and apologize already...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm currently adding a set of Kleinn train horns to my 2017 2500, which bolt to the frames. No drilling, the bolts just go through the holes in the frame. As I started tightening them, the thought came to mind "is it possible to over tighten them and mess up the frame"? They didn't come with torque values, and I imagine it would take a LOT of force to do that, but any idea how much?

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you would have to run ‘em pretty tight to mess up the frame. Use lock washers or nuts and just torque them down so they can’t fall off. [emoji123]

*check the nuts again after a ‘shakedown’ period. (Some number of miles...)

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That's what I figured. But of course the last thing I want is for it to fall off. lol. I used lock washers and loc-tite.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Are the bolts through both sides or just one wall. If only one wall you would be hard pressed to damage anything before snapping the bolt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Are the bolts through both sides or just one wall. If only one wall you would be hard pressed to damage anything before snapping the bolt.

They’re through both sides.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If there is no sleeve inside the frame, I suppose it is possible you could pinch the frame together. My guess is the bolts would break first, though (unless they are really big).

But, if too much torque is applied then the bolts could break (or break later down the road).

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Wat Olyeir said. Might want to add some grade 8 washers (the ones that are fender washer diameter) to spread the load better.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I'm currently adding a set of Kleinn train horns to my 2017 2500, which bolt to the frames. No drilling, the bolts just go through the holes in the frame. As I started tightening them, the thought came to mind "is it possible to over tighten them and mess up the frame"? They didn't come with torque values, and I imagine it would take a LOT of force to do that, but any idea how much?
When in doubt Google. I tried Bolt Torque Specs and there are tons out there , You look for the size of the bolt/screw you have and get average torque specs ! FYI I am no gear head but I think they will be close
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/US-Recommended-Torque.aspx

https://www.google.com/search?clien.....gws-wiz.......0i71j0i22i30j0i67.6kMxlIWso7g

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks!!!
Your welcome and not a dumb question at all if you do not know the answer ask ! With how cheap the new cars/trucks are being made today you never know ! As for asking a Dumb Question you will find them in some of my post's lol