Dumb Question - road trip prep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So this might be a dumb question, but my 2013 Ram 2500 6.7L cummins is a daily driver that rarely stretches its legs more than 25 miles or so a day, occasionally a 30-40mi run. I'm going down to Crystal Beach this weekend (400 miles) - is there anything I should do to prepare/benefit the engine? I wonder if fuel additives / injector cleaners would be good to run to give it a good cleaning / flush? Referring to the stuff they sell in gas stations that you add to your tank.

What do you guys recommend? 2013 Cummins w/ 80K miles

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My pre road trip prep usually just includes the following:
Wash exterior
Clean interior
Check oil levels
Check cabin filter
Check all fluid levels
Check tire pressure and for nails or whatnot
Make sure I have my road emergency supplies
Maybe do a fuel injector cleaner for good measure but who knows if it really does much
Pretty basic stuff

OP
OP
matt.davidson09

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My pre road trip prep usually just includes the following:
Wash exterior
Clean interior
Check oil levels
Check cabin filter
Check all fluid levels
Check tire pressure and for nails or whatnot
Make sure I have my road emergency supplies
Maybe do a fuel injector cleaner for good measure but who knows if it really does much
Pretty basic stuff

Thanks! And yeah same here, I just didn’t know if any of those fuel additives / cleaners would be good for it since I’ll be flushing through nearly a full tank each way. Unsure how gas / diesel engines require those products, and this is my first diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! And yeah same here, I just didn’t know if any of those fuel additives / cleaners would be good for it since I’ll be flushing through nearly a full tank each way. Unsure how gas / diesel engines require those products, and this is my first diesel.

Yeah I dont know about diesel either..lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe you should ask this same question in the diesel section and see if more diesel guys see it.
Jay

OP
OP
matt.davidson09

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Maybe you should ask this same question in the diesel section and see if more diesel guys see it.
Jay

Thanks man, yeah I did. This thread just seems to get a lot more traffic. Probably should have posted those before my departure date [emoji848]

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If the truck is well maintained and has no fluids/filters past due of being changed I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe bring an extra bottle of DEF, but that is probably not even needed if you fill it up before hand.

OP
OP
matt.davidson09

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If the truck is well maintained and has no fluids/filters past due of being changed I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe bring an extra bottle of DEF, but that is probably not even needed if you fill it up before hand.

Good input, thanks! And yes I’m squared away on fluid/filters and just had an oil change / fuel filter.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of the mod's---Maddog know a lot about diesels, maybe he can answer your question or steer you in the right direction.
Jay

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Wash clean. And check spare tire and that you have to tools to change a tire. No need for additives.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Cummins actually endorses two Power Service products: Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost and Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost
Diesel fuel treatment is something you would use on a regular basis, not just for long trips. Whether to use it, what to use, or not at all is a personal preference. I use Opti-Lube XPD myself, it's one of the top rated additive available.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel...s-officially-endorses-two-fuel-additives.aspx

Last edited:

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with BIGMERF

The #1 and most important thing to carry

"SNACKS"
"MUNCHIES"
Whatever you want to call them lol
Have a safe trip man

OP
OP
matt.davidson09

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks fellas! I tossed in some Howes gel but other than that left it as is; wasn’t worried about anything just wanted the opportunity to clean whatever needed to be cleaned as appropriate. Was loving that 23.5mpg EVIC rating though (so probably 20-21mpg actual)