Eco Boost Turbo Lag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D F GA RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Owner of a 4x4 2016 Eco Boost Crew Cab Laramie. Has about 30K miles on it. Have had noticeable Turbo lag recently. Just wondering if other owners have experienced this? Haven't had a chance to take to the dealer. Hoping maybe just needs a software update. Thoughts ?

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Owner of a 4x4 2016 Eco Boost Crew Cab Laramie. Has about 30K miles on it. Have had noticeable Turbo lag recently. Just wondering if other owners have experienced this? Haven't had a chance to take to the dealer. Hoping maybe just needs a software update. Thoughts ?

I presume that you have no engine codes? When and how are you noticing the lag. Does your turbo kick in at all? Or just later than you normally noticed

OP
OP
D F GA RAM

D F GA RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is a clear hesitation at acceleration

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Pedal Commander is your friend. I hate driving my Eco without it.

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
Got turbo lag also, from a dead stop I get a 1-2 sec. spool up and then she go's. That's at full throttle. No complaints around town or passing.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Pedal Commander is your friend too

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Five minute install (literally) and then zero turbo lag. You'll never want to drive an Eco again without it

OP
OP
D F GA RAM

D F GA RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What is Pedal Commander ?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
If I mat the throttle pedal from a full stop yes, I have a bit of a lag it's not 1 or 2 seconds even though it may feel that way at the time.
Almost every diesel engine that I have ran had that issue whether it was a hand throttle or a foot feed an instantaneous full throttle call from an idle had a bit of a lag, especially a turbo'ed engine.
When I aggressively feed the throttle without just matting it the lag if exsistant is very minimal. And the only problem is keeping the tires lighting up.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Got turbo lag also, from a dead stop I get a 1-2 sec. spool up and then she go's. That's at full throttle. No complaints around town or passing.
If your truck is stock, that’s normal. Without tuning or a Plug and play throttle controller, it’s something you have to live with. This is basically what I was trying to get out of the OP if he is bone stock and under the conditions you listed.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
What is Pedal Commander ?
Pedal commander is a plug and play controller that intercepts the signal from your pedal to the fuel system and changes it to increase the sensitivity. It’s the cheapest route to get a change in throttle response in your truck

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I bought mine from Nick. Best thing I've bought for that truck so far

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Never going to happen

Kejar7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am soo happy with my GDE tune. I took out the GDE and sent it away for an update and with the stock ECM back in it literally hated driving it. So slow and unresponsive, scared to merge into traffic..

Patrity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Is pedal commander honestly worth a damn? I tried it in a buddies truck and all it seemed to do was make the pedal more sensitive, doesn't actually help spool up time?
I mean is it comparable to tuning?

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Is pedal commander honestly worth a damn? I tried it in a buddies truck and all it seemed to do was make the pedal more sensitive, doesn't actually help spool up time?
I mean is it comparable to tuning?
It’s been a while since I read up on it but PC, like every other box tuner that’s plug and play essentially just have your injectors dump a lot more fuel sooner than it normally would. Most people get them because they don’t want to tune and void warranty so they take what they can get without a lasting impact