Eco Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram_d00d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I looked and didn't see what I was looking for, so I'll go ahead and ask. Has anyone found an affordable way to turn off Eco Mode? I'm sick of pushing buttons every time I put my truck in drive so it doesn't sound like a large Subaru. Is there a way without breaking the bank?

jlongjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A tuner is your only option, AlphaOBD does not support tuning. This is considered a computer flash/change and not a setting or option. I was looking for the same since I bought mine. Also tired of pushing the buttons, but I have not purchased a tuner yet.

2014 Ram 1500 5.7l CrewCab
Sent via Tapatalk

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Diablo Edge Pulsar canned tuner is $500. Diablo i3 full up custom goes north of $1,000. Both can turn off MDS full time.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the reply. I suppose a tuner is about $600 or so?

You also need an unlocked PCM and bypass cable to tune your 19. As mentioned above,look into a Diablo Pulsar,it might be more inline with what you want,and alot less money,as you don't need the unlocked PCM or bypass cable for it

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ yup pulsar. Cheapest best option to turn off MDS right now. Unless you have a 2014 and below with unlocked PCMs.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a tuner for my ‘19 over the holiday- so got a bit of a deal with Boxing Day sales
An Diablo i3 with the PCM unlocked fee was $692
I bought a used ‘19 PCM locally to ship in as my exchange for $168 plus $25 shipping
All prices were in Canadian funds and included taxes/fees
I thought it was it was going to be way more, total was $885 everything in
I think south of the border you’re going to do a bit better

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Eco mode still comes on MDS tuned off.......it does on my 2014

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Eco mode still comes on MDS tuned off.......it does on my 2014

Right, too many people think that the 'ECO' light means MDS on these trucks. It doesn't. On my truck I have the option via the radio to turn the ECO light off but it doesn't change the MDS behavior.

Off topic and not directed at the OP: I'm amazed at the amount of disinformation that's spread around here as gospel. Things that guys just don't fully understand or take the time to look up because 'they know'. I've been a part of many forums over the last 16-odd years and this seems to be proliferated much worse here.

jlongjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I saw mentioned and have read a bit on the changes since 2014, but I have a 2014. So do I have more options other than Diablo for a tuner to disable MDS?

2014 Ram 1500 5.7l CrewCab
Sent via Tapatalk

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Right, too many people think that the 'ECO' light means MDS on these trucks. It doesn't. On my truck I have the option via the radio to turn the ECO light off but it doesn't change the MDS behavior.

Off topic and not directed at the OP: I'm amazed at the amount of disinformation that's spread around here as gospel. Things that guys just don't fully understand or take the time to look up because 'they know'. I've been a part of many forums over the last 16-odd years and this seems to be proliferated much worse here.

What else do we have besides forums for info? FCA clams up and won't divulge anything in my experiences with them.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP, keep in mind a tuner could void your warranty.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi

So then in the interest of stopping the spread of misinformation, let’s set the record straight. Eco mode IS mds mode. As in one in the same. Turning off the setting in the radio is only deactivating the LIGHT, not the system. Some people find it distracting, which is why they give you the option to disable the notification. But disabling the light has no effect on the system or how it behaves. However, claiming that they are two different things is completely untrue.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
OP, keep in mind a tuner could void your warranty.
No, no it cannot. It can have a warranty claim denied, but it will never void your warranty. Those are two different things.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
So then in the interest of stopping the spread of misinformation, let’s set the record straight. Eco mode IS mds mode. As in one in the same. Turning off the setting in the radio is only deactivating the LIGHT, not the system. Some people find it distracting, which is why they give you the option to disable the notification. But disabling the light has no effect on the system or how it behaves. However, claiming that they are two different things is completely untrue.
Drink another 1.................LoL

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Sorry but Eco mode and MDS are not the same thing and are not directly related.
It is easy to be in ECO and not in MDS, it is also possible to be in MDS but not ECO - though not as easy to accomplish.
ECO = driving in a fuel efficient manner
MDS = 4 cyl deactivation.

This is true and for a fact on my 2016 1500 5.7.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right, if one was to listen carefully instead of assume, they'd be able to tell the difference. My 08 Jeep had a 'fuel saver' light in the cluster and it did, in fact, illuminate only when MDS was active but this truck does not. It's harder to hear it in the truck since I am leaving the exhaust stock, but you can tell.