EcoD vs Hemi 5.7 vs V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm thinking about buying a 5th gen. 1 has the ecoD the other has the Etorque hemi 5.7.
Both are Bighorn Lonestar
Both have the offroad/sport pkgs
Which truck would have the best longevity and the better engine.
EcoD is $39K Hemi is $41K
Both epa stickers say 23mpg

NONBIAS OPINION ONLY Please

Blue Mule

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I vote eco diesel. My only reason is I assume there could be similar issues with the etorq that the 4cyl wranglers had. Now hemi without etorq I vote hemi because we know if taken care of they can last 300k+. But if you have a good friend that can help that diesel and remove those choke points the eco. Jmho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm a bit biased but don't try to shove a platform down someone's throat just because. First off if you like the Hemi fun pedal I usually recommend you stick with the Hemi. If your looking for efficiency especially while towing then your looking at the EcoD.
From driving perspective the EcoD has more of a relaxed less busy feeling as it doesn't shift or rev-up as often, sorta like driving the old big blocks that have low end torque. Even towing +8K lbs there's not much shifting or engine reving going on and usually quiet as a church mouse in the cab unless the radio is turned up.
Unless you drive with a lead foot I've been reading the fuel economy numbers at or above the window sticker. There have only been a few minor error codes complaints that have popped up on the EcoD forums, sounds like the have the bugs out of the platform.
Sounds like GDE will have an EPA 50 state legal tune out for the Gen3 EcoDiesel engine(Gen5 Ram) next year. GDE is just about releasing the first EPA 50 state legal tune for the Gen2 EcoDiesel engine(Gen4 Ram) this month. They're probably one of the best tuners when it comes to any of the modern day diesel engines.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unless you tow heavy loads, and a bass boat is not a heavy load,
It's not so much the weight but the wind load. The 24' enclosed car hauler I tow when empty is 3K lbs, I get about 16 mpg, with my boat which weighs 3200 lbs I'm at 20 mpg. If the trailer is loaded up around 8K lbs I lose about 1-2 mpg.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Those Eco guys sure love their trucks.
But, I;d be too scared to buy a small Diesel.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Does the ecoD have to do the regen and extra maintenance like the 6.7 does

Blue Mule

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does the ecoD have to do the regen and extra maintenance like the 6.7 does
The regens happen while you drive, you'll probably never know it going on. Unless you drive a lot of short trips you'll probably never see a warning that the DPF if getting full and to drive the vehicle to perform a regen. If you got the freeway for a half or or about once a week that usually good enough to offset a lot of short trips.
As far as extra maintenance...fuel filter
Unless your towing a lot, the amount nof DEF used is minor, it may add $0.0001 a mile. DEF consumption is proportional to fuel usage, about 1-2% of the volume of fuel.

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did a lot of research before buying my Ram 1500. The diesel was intriguing but when I factored in all the variables I chose not to get the diesel. They get great mileage in two wheel drive version with 3.21 rear axle ratio, less when you get the off road package and the 3.72 rear axle ratio and 4x4. You get less extras in the diesel as you are paying for the engine. In my area the difference between gas and diesel is 50-75 cents a gallon. Then there’s the 150,000 mile belt change maintenance issue.
I chose the 5.7 etorque for the extra mileage and extra torque for towing. The 3.92 rear axle ratio for the better towing experience. When looking at the mileage ratings between the three choices keep in mind the axle ratio and tire size. Hard to find a Ram without that bigger 20 inch tires. All the mileage ratings are based on 18 inch tires. I only have about 1400 miles on my truck and when towing I get 9.5-9.9 mpg depending if I use tow mode or not. Otherwise 16 mpg. I don’t think I’ll ever see 23 mpg. But I do love the truck for its towing ability, great ride, and looks. Cargo capacity is the only down side of the truck and will be the same for the other versions and probably worse for the diesel.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did a lot of research before buying my Ram 1500. The diesel was intriguing but when I factored in all the variables I chose not to get the diesel. They get great mileage in two wheel drive version with 3.21 rear axle ratio, less when you get the off road package and the 3.72 rear axle ratio and 4x4. You get less extras in the diesel as you are paying for the engine. In my area the difference between gas and diesel is 50-75 cents a gallon. Then there’s the 150,000 mile belt change maintenance issue.
I chose the 5.7 etorque for the extra mileage and extra torque for towing. The 3.92 rear axle ratio for the better towing experience. When looking at the mileage ratings between the three choices keep in mind the axle ratio and tire size. Hard to find a Ram without that bigger 20 inch tires. All the mileage ratings are based on 18 inch tires. I only have about 1400 miles on my truck and when towing I get 9.5-9.9 mpg depending if I use tow mode or not. Otherwise 16 mpg. I don’t think I’ll ever see 23 mpg. But I do love the truck for its towing ability, great ride, and looks. Cargo capacity is the only down side of the truck and will be the same for the other versions and probably worse for the diesel.
A lot of the mileage issue is more terrain and habits. I have the 20s with 33s stock. 11.5 mpg with the 7500lb tt thru the mountains locked in on 6th cc 4x4 3.21s hemi. My daily commute I can get 24mpg over a tank but I drive literally all highway no stops and less than 2 miles non highway. I have seen some with the last gen eco cracking 30mpg tuned which would be awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting with the 3.21 rear axle ratio at 7500 pounds. A Ram is rated that high a towing capacity with that rear ratio? I can understand the mileage with a 3.21 but not the tow amount.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting with the 3.21 rear axle ratio at 7500 pounds. A Ram is rated that high a towing capacity with that rear ratio? I can understand the mileage with a 3.21 but not the tow amount.
With the 8 speed mine is rated at 8200 and the 7500 is loaded. Power wise even with the 3.21s it's got plenty

Dennis2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excellent didn’t know that. The only downfall of mine is the tow capacity. I couldn’t pull a 7500 pound trailer because of that. Well I might if I got rid of the wife, dogs and lost a few pounds.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not sure what belt change maintenance issue your referring to, the EcoDiesel has a serpentine belt just like the Hemi. The engine valve train uses timing chain.
You might be thinking of the Ford 3.0 diesel that uses engine timing belts or the Chevy 3.0 diesel that has an belt driven oil pump.
There is no 3.72 axle ratio for the EcoDiesel. The 3.92 only hurts your fuel slightly (typical of any lower hear ratio) if you like to drive fast on the freeway.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Crash68, old person moment, that was the new Chev. Diesel I was looking at not the Ram.
Yeah the Chevy oil pump belt to add insult to injury is on the back of the engine. The engine/trans needs to be separated to replace.
At least the Ford is a typical timing belt set up and has been used in the Range River version of the engine for quite a few years. Not much different than a lot of gas engines.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Ram Year
20??
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No towing over 2K. Thats another reason why I'm gonna trade in my 2500 4x4

Blue Mule
Not trying to start a war here, but if you're not towing over 2k, have you considered the Pentastar engine?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Not trying to start a war here, but if you're not towing over 2k, have you considered the Pentastar engine?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Yes I have. I'm on the fence with it as trucks with it have 0 resaleability. And mainly only come in a tradesman. Im wanting a bighorn/lonestar

Blue Mule

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes I have. I'm on the fence with it as trucks with it have 0 resaleability. And mainly only come in a tradesman. Im wanting a bighorn/lonestar

Blue Mule
Gonna get shunned here but if you like the idea of the pentastar but want the resale value what about a gladiator? Pop the top off on your dd days. Still tow what you need to and by the sounds of it you dont y have a use for a big bed anymore. Idk just a thought as the gladiators and the wranglers do really well holding value.