EcoDiesel engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was unsure if this would fit better in the 4th gen or 5th gen forum so apologies in advance if I've chosen wrong.
I'm wondering if there's a difference between the EcoDiesel engine in the 2019 Classic and the 5th gen 2019. Are they the same or different? Local dealers didn't know.
I've been eyeing them up and toying with the idea of trading in on one but would like to get all my facts straight first.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I wonder if you could get an engine code from both and compare. Figure a new engine would have a different code from an older Ed.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
There wasn't a 5th gen body style with the EcoDiesel in 2019. All 2019 EcoD's were 2nd gen motors and placed in the 4th gen body style. The 3rd gen EcoD motor came out in the 2020 EcoD's.

** Maybe Canada is different, but I don't think so **

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The engine layout was slightly redesigned for the Gen3 engine so FCA would have to reconfigure the engine bay to put it in the Gen4 body.
I think a bunch of the bad rap the Gen2 engine got was due in part to maintenance not being done correctly along with the amount of first time diesel owners. I've read about owners catching dealers putting the wrong oil in, not enough oil, etc. You can say it shouldn't matter but if you drive a diesel like a gasser your going to have problems. If the Gen2 was a bad design there wouldn't be nearly as many of them reported well over the 100K along with 200K miles

OP
OP
RVGuy

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There wasn't a 5th gen body style with the EcoDiesel in 2019. All 2019 EcoD's were 2nd gen motors and placed in the 4th gen body style. The 3rd gen EcoD motor came out in the 2020 EcoD's.

** Maybe Canada is different, but I don't think so **

I'm pretty sure you're right. A dealer had a 2019 5th gen advertised here as having the EcoDiesel but upon further inspection I'm pretty sure it's the Hemi (just going off the pictures they have posted).
Do you know if the 2020 engines are different?

OP
OP
RVGuy

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The engine layout was slightly redesigned for the Gen3 engine so FCA would have to reconfigure the engine bay to put it in the Gen4 body.
I think a bunch of the bad rap the Gen2 engine got was due in part to maintenance not being done correctly along with the amount of first time diesel owners. I've read about owners catching dealers putting the wrong oil in, not enough oil, etc. You can say it shouldn't matter but if you drive a diesel like a gasser your going to have problems. If the Gen2 was a bad design there wouldn't be nearly as many of them reported well over the 100K along with 200K miles

So you're thinking that the 4th gen has the 2nd gen EcoDiesel and the 5th has the 3rd? I'm just trying to figure out the huge gap in pricing. It would make sense to me if they were different engines but if they're the same it's kind of absurd.

I agree with you on the reliability of the 2nd gen engine, I think a lot of it comes down to people who've never owned diesels before not being educated on the differences in the engines for maintenance and how you can effectively drive them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So you're thinking that the 4th gen has the 2nd gen EcoDiesel and the 5th has the 3rd? I'm just trying to figure out the huge gap in pricing. It would make sense to me if they were different engines but if they're the same it's kind of absurd.
I have yet to come across anything to the contrary. I would have to imagine the same plant is turning out both generations of the engine. Most of the upgrades to the Gen3 was piston dish design, cylinder wall coatings, injection, external emissions controls and glow plugs with pressure sensors. The block, bore, stroke, valve train, etc all appear to be the same from what I've read so far. I would imagine assembly and QC are same for both.

As far as pricing, there was even a varying back with the Gen2 engine depending on what trim level truck you bought. My 15 Outdoorsman was about a $3K upcharge, others reported $4K and $5K for different trim levels. I think it has to do with the base engine the trim level comes with.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Anybody ever find an answer to this? It would sure be strange if they were producing the 2 different generation engines

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Just spoke with my dealer, and the classic has the old EcoDiesel engine