Ecodiesel or Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you're buying used and are considering the EcoDiesel, I'd look at a 17 or later as those motors are considered 2nd Generation. It's got a couple differences from 1st Gen. I'd also invest in a tune from GDE or SFT. I believe the SFT still allows you to disable the EGR which is pretty much the main killer of the Eco's. Tunes are good for a bit more HP/TQ and a couple more MPG's. All modern day diesels have issues with the new emmissions crap. I haven't got a tune (yet) and I see 25 mpgs all around with a 4" lift and 35" AT tires. I was able to average around 16 mpgs pulling my dump trailer loaded at about 8800lbs. Ideally, I would look for a new 2020, as they are much improved (and expensive), but there are a lot of older Eco's running around doing just fine.

I own an EcoDiesel so I'm a bit impartial, but I've driven and owned a Hemi as well and am personally much happier with this motor. Some of the nay-sayers are folks that have never owned or even driven an EcoDiesel, so keep that in mind. My two cents....
Damn now I'm jealous I would get 24 stock now with the 6" and 35s 15.5-16 [emoji1787]

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Pretty sure someone on this forum has one with like 600k huge hit but ive seen more replaced by 100k
That would be VernDiesel, I think he's over 700K(or pretty dam close to it) by now. His first motor pushed out a head gasket around 371K and he replaced it with a new crate EcoD. Not bad considering he towing 6k-8K lbs for most of those miles. He has a buddy who's EcoD is also over 300K miles. There at least four that I know of well over the 200K mile mark and I've lost count the number of ones reported over 100K miles.
It's all in where your looking, EcoDiesel specific forums have better information.
A lot of people bail on gassers before 100K, probably more often then diesels.

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If you're buying used and are considering the EcoDiesel, I'd look at a 17 or later as those motors are considered 2nd Generation. It's got a couple differences from 1st Gen. I'd also invest in a tune from GDE or SFT. I believe the SFT still allows you to disable the EGR which is pretty much the main killer of the Eco's. Tunes are good for a bit more HP/TQ and a couple more MPG's. All modern day diesels have issues with the new emmissions crap. I haven't got a tune (yet) and I see 25 mpgs all around with a 4" lift and 35" AT tires. I was able to average around 16 mpgs pulling my dump trailer loaded at about 8800lbs. Ideally, I would look for a new 2020, as they are much improved (and expensive), but there are a lot of older Eco's running around doing just fine.

I own an EcoDiesel so I'm a bit impartial, but I've driven and owned a Hemi as well and am personally much happier with this motor. Some of the nay-sayers are folks that have never owned or even driven an EcoDiesel, so keep that in mind. My two cents....

I wondered about that today while mowing hay, you can have your pick of 14, 15 and 16’s but 2017 and newer are far and few between. I’ve already looked into deletes, a hay customer deleted his 6.7 Cummins and couldn’t believe the difference it made.

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
From what I’ve read here and other forums, think I’ll hold off on a diesel for now and just get a hemi.

Another thing I keep remembering, a few years back we set some new record low temps, was -23F with a below -45 windchill. Topped my 99 Cummins off, added some more treatment to the fuel (B5 road fuel at the farm with antigel already added) drove it for 20 miles, grabbed the service trailer, parked em both in the shed and plugged it in immediately in case I had a service call during that crap. Got thru the coldest day and started it out of curiosity and it ran just long enough for me to get to the shop door and it died, didn’t start again till the cold spell snapped and it hit 50 degrees. Wife’s Jeep started and ran no issues, went and replaced a thermocouple on a neighbors antique furnace during the cold spell. Wife’s Jeep also had heat miles before the Cummins ever would have.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody have real world numbers on what your Hemi powered Rams are seeing for gas mileage while towing?

I get around 10 to 11 mpg with a 33' 8k travel trailer.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
If you're buying used and are considering the EcoDiesel, I'd look at a 17 or later as those motors are considered 2nd Generation. It's got a couple differences from 1st Gen.
This is 100% wrong, the new 2nd gen ecodiesel is only available in 5th gens.

Where did you hear this shenanigans?

The 1st gen 3.0 engine ranges from 2014 to 2019+ 4th gen classics

I traded in my 14 hemi for a ecodiesel, and have mixed feelings bout it

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Technically the Gen1 EcoDiesel engine was never in a Ram pick-up, except for maybe R&D testing. It was the design intended for the Cadillac overseas.
Gen2 EcoDiesel is in the Gen4 Ram trucks, the Gen3 EcoDiesel is in the Gen5 trucks.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pencil it out. I bet your break even point is somewhere after your planted and your grandkids are driving it.
Haha I would never do it for cost purpose. Hell I'd never keep it that long.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So my 99 Cummins is getting long in the tooth and unreliable enough I don’t want to use it for work anymore. Side job is the sales and installation of outdoor wood boilers. Main job is row cropping with hay and beef cows as well.

I’d mainly be using the replacement for the boiler side of things, I have several straight trucks and a heavy duty tandem trailer for the heavy work. The wife’s Jeep Liberty can actually handle either trailer I use for the boilers.

So in a nutshell next truck will be a half ton for the improved ride quality, just can’t decide between a eco diesel and a hemi. I do all the engine rebuilds on the farm, actually do all the repair work except for injection pumps and injectors.

Heard some horror stories about the eco diesel engines, but also seem to remember the 5.9’s had the 53 block issue and the 6.7’s had their issues as well.

Looking at used, can’t see paying more for a new pickup that will rot out eventually than my Dad paid for the 52 acres next door.

Resale value isn’t an issue as on pickups I tend to drive em till they are DOA and beyond fixing. They usually serve the last couple years as wood cutting and plow trucks.

Either trailer I use for the wood boilers are 4000-6000 lbs so no real need for a 3/4 ton.

Used trucks price between gas and diesel are close enough in price thats not an issue, however horrible gas mileage while towing with the hemi is a consideration. We have B5 road fuel on the farm at all times so no risk of getting bad diesel while on the road.

Whatever you get, don't get rid of that 99 man! It's the first year of the 24 valve? Those things are gold, the 12 valves are platinum, but still those old diesels have crazy value increasing every day. I wouldn't buy an eco diesel if you paid me, hemi not my favorite either. If I were you, I'd get a 4 gen with a 65rfe and have the money for upgrades and fixes then buying a new 5 gen. Good luck with your decision.

If you don't have the block issue, I certainly wouldn't worry about that at this point. Do you have a "53" on the drivers side of the block?

HotsauceED

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I only have 2,200 miles on mine & as expected no problems. I don't do much city driving, mostly highway for work or to the cottage. I have been seeing 25-28 mpg so far & plan on getting a tune after the warranty runs out. No complaints so far.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don't assume you have a engine with a built in weakness w/o even verifying it, if you don't have the 53 block, you are golden. Get a used 4 gen and keep that wonderful truck, they literally don't make them like that anymore. Filters and exhaust fluids and smog just chokes new diesels to death and causes big dollar fixes.

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Whatever you get, don't get rid of that 99 man! It's the first year of the 24 valve? Those things are gold, the 12 valves are platinum, but still those old diesels have crazy value increasing every day. I wouldn't buy an eco diesel if you paid me, hemi not my favorite either. If I were you, I'd get a 4 gen with a 65rfe and have the money for upgrades and fixes then buying a new 5 gen. Good luck with your decision.

If you don't have the block issue, I certainly wouldn't worry about that at this point. Do you have a "53" on the drivers side of the block?

Unfortunately my 99 spent part of its life as a plow truck before I had it, found the relays buried under a bunch of other stuff on the left side. Already had to reinforce the steering box area, and the frame where it goes from boxed to c channel is getting scary, doesn’t help I was rear ended in it, guy hit me hard enough the dashboard literally exploded. It's just getting to that age where I always wonder if I have enough tools with me if I go very far. Front pinion has some play, so no four wheel drive at highway speeds unless you like vibrations. Evaporator popped a hole in it last year and the heat is about non existent. Just getting tired enough it's turning into a serious money sink and thats not even taking into account the other typical Dodge rust.

OP
OP
mlappin

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins

yah, still have the 53 block in it but haven’t ever really worried about it, everything I read was if you get to a hundred thousand and it aint cracked yet it aint gonna. According to CarFax the engine was swapped around 40-50000 miles, first one cracked being a real educated guess.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Technically the Gen1 EcoDiesel engine was never in a Ram pick-up, except for maybe R&D testing. It was the design intended for the Cadillac overseas.
Gen2 EcoDiesel is in the Gen4 Ram trucks, the Gen3 EcoDiesel is in the Gen5 trucks.
lol have you ever seen a gen 1 ecodiesel

nope, by this rationale every other engine is a designed from another engine and is always a generation higher then you would expect it to be riiiight

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

lol have you ever seen a gen 1 ecodiesel

nope, by this rationale every other engine is a designed from another engine and is always a generation higher then you would expect it to be riiiight

The NOPE is to you, the chief engineer of the EcoDiesel even states the version in the Gen5 trucks as Generation 3 engine.

a picture is worth a thousand words..
Screenshot_20200724-223234~2.png

Hey @JohnnyMac do you think the chief engineer of the EcoDiesel would know what generation engine is in the Gen5 Ram truck?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Hey @JohnnyMac do you think the chief engineer of the EcoDiesel would know what generation engine is in the Gen5 Ram truck?

Haha! I'm guessing he would have a better idea than most anyone else... As far as gen1/2 I thought I read somewhere that after 16 the engines had somewhat of a change so were considered second gen, but guess I misread that. I do, however, 100% agree that the latest version is considered 3rd gen motor.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Drive them both, your mannerisms scream baby diesel however. The gas v8 is the one you want to drive the **** out of and not just putz around idling and towing steam equipment.

Pentastar might be the trick.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Haha! I'm guessing he would have a better idea than most anyone else... As far as gen1/2 I thought I read somewhere that after 16 the engines had somewhat of a change so were considered second gen, but guess I misread that. I do, however, 100% agree that the latest version is considered 3rd gen motor.
There is not much information out about the GM version(Gen1) that was being built, it was a 2.9L and quite possibly mounted transverse. Something changed in the combustion chamber and most definitely on the injection side. Also mentioned was changes for the engine to tolerate an off road environment.

Probably just removing GM name off the engine was enough to change the Gen#...LOL!