Edge Pulsar owners fuel mileage increase report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been reading about the edge pulsar and how it is supposed to increase fuel mileage between 1 to 2 mpg. I am undecided about buying one becasue of the expense but if I can save a 1 to 2 mpg it will pay for it self with in a year.

So if you are a Pulsar owner do you see any gains in your fuel mileage? If so, what kind of gains are you seeing hand calculated or by the evic meter? I would appreciate the feedback becasue this will help me deicide what to do.

Max Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the Pulsar is great for what it does and have been thinking about buying one, just enjoying my PC right now.

Even if you get 2 MPG with the Pulsar, it will take a long time to make back the purchase cost.

Now if you keep your vehicles for a long time, you will benefit from increased mileage but it does take a while.

Great product but not sure i would purchase one just for mileage increase.

Just my 2 cents.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I haven't heard anything on fuel economy increases, but I do plan on buying a Pulsar once I get some miles on the truck.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im not sure that the pulsar netted me a HUGE mileage increase, but the fuel economy mode definitely promotes more economical driving.

buy it for on-the-fly tuning, speedo recalibration, and the hope that we will get custom tunes one day. i wouldn't get it expecting to see a massive spike in fuel economy. i bought it so i could tune on the fly and get rid of MDS (which it doesn't do well at all...heads up)

i'd still buy it again, all in all.

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply’s. I still don’t have anyone that gives an example of mpg increase. If it does work at 1to 2 mpg it should pay For itself in a year of my driving

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply’s. I still don’t have anyone that gives an example of mpg increase. If it does work at 1to 2 mpg it should pay For itself in a year of my driving

I can’t support it well, but I likely saw about a .75-1mpg increase with the pulsar on eco mode across 2 tanks with 70% highway driving.

but then shortly after, my truck went from 2/5 drop on stock tires to 4” lift on 35s so all I can tell you now is that I keep it on eco 90% of the time, now 80% city driving, and I still average about 16-17mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, that gives me a little insight especially with the bigger tires and still maintaining decent mileage

Grant Balint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what about the performance setting? Is it worth it? I have a 6" lift with 37" tires and average 12.4 mpg in 80% city so mileage isn't something I am worried about.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what about the performance setting? Is it worth it? I have a 6" lift with 37" tires and average 12.4 mpg in 80% city so mileage isn't something I am worried about.

performance setting will break over my 35 M/Ts on dry pavement. i love it.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I had bought one for my 2019 and the first one would jerk around so I called them and they told me it was the wrong one and sent me a new one. It worked great for the first 2 weeks and then one night going home the Trans gave an overspeed message and wouldnt do anything. Had to stop and put it in park. Put it back into drive and it was working again. The next day I drove it and it wasn't shifting right and felt like it had a Trans brake on it. So I sent it back and got my money back.. Maybe they have fixed the problem that I was having. Just airing my experience with it. I'm going to wait and see if they come out with a tuner for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My edge pulsar came in yesterday and it would not fit in my Ram 2500. Apparently that did some changes under the hood, my truck was made in December 2018 so the unit would not slide down and bolt on the PCM because of the transmission line.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My edge pulsar came in yesterday and it would not fit in my Ram 2500. Apparently that did some changes under the hood, my truck was made in December 2018 so the unit would not slide down and bolt on the PCM because of the transmission line.

Damn! I need to look at my truck and see if I have that issue. I bought mine a year ago, so hopefully not. Was really looking forward to hearing reviews on the 6.4.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i just installed on my 2018 2500 ...so thats wrong....

you did read the instructions correct? it does not bolt in to all three factory holes. it no longer will sit level but one side is higher with a bolt and nut holding the PCM and pulsar together.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

you did read the instructions correct? it does not bolt in to all three factory holes. it no longer will sit level but one side is higher with a bolt and nut holding the PCM and pulsar together.

How do you like it? Thoughts on how it works with out motor and trans? Did you get it with one of their displays or just the unit itself? Thanks for anything first hand advice you can offer.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Does the Pulsar require 93 octane fuel?

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My instructions did not say anything about that, neither did customer support. I just wonder if it being held by one bolt will make it secure enough and not cause issues. I did have one, on another forum say his mileage increased by 3 mpg hand calulated

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My instructions did not say anything about that, neither did customer support. I just wonder if it being held by one bolt will make it secure enough and not cause issues. I did have one, on another forum say his mileage increased by 3 mpg hand calulated

you have to read clearly, at first i didnt realize based on the language.

its held in by the bolt on the 1screw side, and the top bolt on the 2screw side through the bottom screw hole on the PCM.

then the top hole on the PCM and pulsar is tightened down with a nut. so three screws holding the pulsar and PCM together but only 2 screws holding it in place.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
ok so its legit.

im certain im picking up more power down low as i accelerate from a standstill.

pedal commander is now in City -4....

honestly, if PCM tuning wasnt available ever, i would be more then satisfied with a Pulsar.

the reason im looking for PCM tuning is really for TCM tuning. i need to modify the transmission and shift points.
power is there plenty ...but still needs transmission tuning.

the pulsar does modify the behavior of the transmission, or disconnecting battery reset the TCM, because it is behaving differently.
just doesnt drive sporty as it relates to transmission.
still lugs way down low in 6th gear near 1k rpm and 45MPH when 5th at 45MPH and about 2k rpm would be best.

OP
OP
M

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you have to read clearly, at first i didnt realize based on the language.

its held in by the bolt on the 1screw side, and the top bolt on the 2screw side through the bottom screw hole on the PCM.

then the top hole on the PCM and pulsar is tightened down with a nut. so three screws holding the pulsar and PCM together but only 2 screws holding it in place.

If you don’t mind, can you take a pic of it looking straight down at the pulsar? I have a small metal tube on mine that may be in the way. Does yours have the tube and are the plugs resting on the tube? If so, wouldn’t it get to hot and hurt the plugs. I really want to try it out. Thank!