Electronic Ghosts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where to start.. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L with 91000 miles on it.
P2323= Ignition Coil H Secondary Circuit (Cylinder 8)
P2305 = Ignition Coil B Secondary Circuit (Cylinder 2)

Cylinder order:
8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1
v
front of truck

Well my truck threw a P2323 Code last week. Got to work, cleared it and drove home no issuue, and the next few days no issues. Yesterday it threw another P2323, as well as P0308 (Cylinder 8 Misfire).

So I moved the ignition coil to cylinder 2 to see if it followed. Well it did... Sort of. I then got a P2305 and P2323. So I thought maybe the coil is indeed bad, tried unplugging it while it was missing and nothing changed, which should mean that coil was dead and doing nothing.

So I went to Napa and bought one of their Echlin ignition coils. Installed it onto cylinder 2 and started the truck up. Ran perfect......or so I thought, about 30 minutes later it starts misfiring again. P2305 and P2323. So I tried moving cylinder 1's coil pack to cylinder 2. and that seemed to work but after a bit, both codes came back again. So I went and put all the stock coils back in, and took the Napa one out. Started it up and drove to work and back, bout 50 miles or so. Ran perfect, no codes thrown.

I made sure all the connections are good. jiggled the tar out of the wires while it was running thinking maybe it was a break in a wire somewhere but it ran fine, nothing missed.

Tried pulling the connectors off the PCM to see if anything was going on there, ended up breaking the right side red handle off, and the left side will not go back down, nor could I actually unplug the connector. Tried and tried and tried to get them off but no go. I seriously question if the previous owner super glued them or something, watched videos and it should have been very simple. Red lever up, pull off (maybe with a little wiggle). Not mine, My firewall was flexing from how much force I was putting into trying to get it to release while wiggling. Those suckers are on there.

This seems to be a seemingly random issue, and I've googled the crap out of these codes with these engines and its lead me to nowhere. Most threads go cold, or just end up being not answered. I've read it can be a multitude of things including PCM, Injectors, low compression, wiring, spark plugs, ignition coils, rocker arms, stuck valves to just never being solved. I'm fairly certain my problem is electric since it comes and goes. A hardware malfunction I would think, would stay constant.

There I've exhausted everything I know about this issue and really need some help. I'm very much so considering trading in the truck for something else if this is not remedied quickly, as I cannot afford to throw parts at it "hoping" it'll fix it.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
With the computers running theses trucks more n more thesedays, they really need to be looked at by someone with a high level scanner/programmer for a decent diagnosis so you don’t have to throw parts at it.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the codes are staying the same while you swap coils around the problem may be in the harness the coils plug into. I'd think if it were a compression issue the problem would be constant, not intermittent... but you can rent a compression tester from your local parts store and check for yourself easily enough.

Have you pulled the plugs and taken a look at them? If they're burnt or wet that would at least be some indication of what's going on.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put another 100 miles or so on the truck. No issues...

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
another 150 or so and still no issues.. Hate problems that come and go like this.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I do not want to splash gas on your frustration, but as said, our new generation trucks are 70% electronics. Having a competent tech scan your ECM and look at what the truck is telling him while running, is money well spent. Much less expensive than guessing and replacing parts that may be suspect. One other thing. I had a similar experience with our 07 mega cab. Crazy electronic behavior and odd codes. I took it to my bulldog tech and after 2 hours of diagnostics, found that it had two bad ground connections. The "electronic" ground from some module was coming in and out. I was stunned to learn how many ground points there are on these new trucks. Cost me $256 for 2 1/2 hours and $3 in parts. Never had another problem like that.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Grounds need to be super clean with these picky ass trucks as I’ve learned the hard way. Back in the day it could have green oooz coming from the connections and they’d still be good lol.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Problem is the only dealer around here is Genes Chrysler. They are have a pretty infamous service department and only demand sacrifice of your left nut and first born. (I had them quote me on a service for front and rear diff fluid, coolant flush, spark plugs, brake fluid flush, and the transfer case flush....... $1300!!!!!)

Since you guys are mentioning grounds, I forgot to say that my ground cable was as tight as it can be on a new NAPA battery I bought a few months back and somehow it was sorta loose (you could pull it off fairly easily). I ended up just putting a small self tapping screw through the side of the terminal clamp straight into the terminal as that was the only option for a secure connection. Wonder if that was the actual fix this whole time.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Changed all the plugs out today. Still running good.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you filling up at the same station(s) all the time? You could have just gotten some bad gas.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no, and that is a possibility but I've had bad gas before and this didnt seem the same.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, back to square one. decided to see how the truck would do on a test run with the travel trailer. Started throwing P0308 and P2323 about 10 mins into the trip. Very noticible misfire. Went back home and put the new napa coil back on cylinder 8, no difference. So its going to a mechanic tomorrow. I pray that they can get this figured out.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I sure hope so. If they can't I'm afraid I'll have to get rid of the truck. Definitely need something I can rely on.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd say that loose connection may have been the problem all along. I've had a few problems in the past that I never would have guessed was just a loose battery terminal until it turned out to be a loose battery terminal. That said when I read the thread title the first solution that popped into my head was you need pac man.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd say that loose connection may have been the problem all along. I've had a few problems in the past that I never would have guessed was just a loose battery terminal until it turned out to be a loose battery terminal. That said when I read the thread title the first solution that popped into my head was you need pac man.

I wish my problems were that simple. But as I just posted the problem came back. its not the pack, and it wasnt the ground. So all thats left that I know if is, PCM, Injector, Faulty wiring, or a sticking valve or something.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Me too. At least it's repeatable. Maybe it's something simple like the napa coils don't quite read right to the ecm and the oe ones were the problem in the first place. I've been through that with some of the aftermarket sensors I've bought in the past.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
could be. Its going to a very well respected shop on monday. Bout the only shop in town I'd trust.

OP
OP
Falcon1772

Falcon1772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doing more internet research before it goes in lead me to the cam/lifter issue these trucks have/had. Seems it was an 09-12 issue. Does anyone know if the issue persisted onto later years? If it ends up being that, any ballpark of a repair cost?