Enable Loudness audio setting on 8.4UAQ on Alpha OBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mine didn't come with my truck either, but I tried writing my vin to my radio,but got the error that I needed a blue cable or something along those lines. I have a 2017 so it's not the security bypass cable.
Which adapter/reader are you using for the obd port?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Since the radio didn’t come originally in my truck is there a VIN number or proxy alignment that needs to be done perhaps why its not communicating with radio navigator module?
There is a VIN write section in the radio, but when you enter the Anti-Theft code it's supposed to populate that value with the current install vehicle.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which adapter/reader are you using for the obd port?
Vlinker mc+ almost identical obdlink mx+, anything in the radio section has a warning that a blue adapter or certain pins added are necessary. If you acknowledge it and try to make a change it will fail. I've made changes to instrument cluster module, BCM, etc with no issues. I have no issues with my radio, just thought when I saw it why not write my vin to my radio. I do have my donor vin as well. I wrote vin to instrument cluster when I upgraded that and have gotten pin with rf hub.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Vlinker mc+ almost identical obdlink mx+, anything in the radio section has a warning that a blue adapter or certain pins added are necessary. If you acknowledge it and try to make a change it will fail. I've made changes to instrument cluster module, BCM, etc with no issues. I have no issues with my radio, just thought when I saw it why not write my vin to my radio. I do have my donor vin as well. I wrote vin to instrument cluster when I upgraded that and have gotten pin with rf hub.
Interesting, I have had no issues with the OBDLink MX+ making mods to the radio 2018 UAQ and a 2019 UAS in my 2014 Ram.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are using an OBDII Mx+, you will NOT need the adapter. The warning comes up. Just acknowledge it as if you have the adapter. Once you are connected, you should be able to program the radio stack however you feel fit (not responsible if you brick it!) If you are having issues with the MX+, it could be because you're using a laptop instead of an Android phone. I have had zero issues connecting with my Android (It's also far more convenient than trying to lug a laptop with me in case I have an issue or want to program while I'm somewhere other than home). If you don't have an Android phone, you can either borrow someone's (with their PERMISSION) or buy a cheap pay-as-you go. You don't even need to activate it - they're like $50. Just buy it, connect it to an appropriate wireless network, download the SW (Alpha OBD), then go do what you gotta do. Leave it in your truck if you want but be aware that in the summer heat and excessive cold will probably kill it/the battery, so I'd leave it in an eviromentally controlled area (home, work, etc.)

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are using an OBDII Mx+, you will NOT need the adapter. The warning comes up. Just acknowledge it as if you have the adapter. Once you are connected, you should be able to program the radio stack however you feel fit (not responsible if you brick it!) If you are having issues with the MX+, it could be because you're using a laptop instead of an Android phone. I have had zero issues connecting with my Android (It's also far more convenient than trying to lug a laptop with me in case I have an issue or want to program while I'm somewhere other than home). If you don't have an Android phone, you can either borrow someone's (with their PERMISSION) or buy a cheap pay-as-you go. You don't even need to activate it - they're like $50. Just buy it, connect it to an appropriate wireless network, download the SW (Alpha OBD), then go do what you gotta do. Leave it in your truck if you want but be aware that in the summer heat and excessive cold will probably kill it/the battery, so I'd leave it in an eviromentally controlled area (home, work, etc.)
That may be the one draw back of going with the vlinker mc+ over obdlink mx+. I'll have to try again to confirm it doesn't work. I thought at some point I changed something in the radio module. Could just be the setting I tried to change isn't changeable. I dismissed the warning and went ahead with the change and it said failed when I tried the first time. I'll post back either way. I do really like the vlinker mc+, it works great.

OP
OP
J054UA

J054UA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed its alot of people with older trucks without the security bypass harness that I have to have in order to make any changes on my 2020 Ram 1500
Classic. Im able to connect to body computer, climate, ect just for whatever reason not the radio navigator module on my 2019 8.4 UAQ with Navigation. Other radio settings in the body computer Ive made changes to in the past and no issues ever with pc or android. Using OBDLink M+ on latest version as well 5.9.4. I went to the 2017 radio navigator module var1 for my truck but also the other ones and no luck connecting to the radio navigator module. Anyone tried this on my particular year make and model with a 2019 8.4 UAQ donor radio. I just wanted to redownload the apps and see if that helped with vehicle user guide returning and maybe enabling the automated loudness setting. Thanks for any help in advance. Also never messed of touched any settings in the advance menu. Always have used regular without any issues.

Also before I upgraded two years ago my truck originally came with the Uconnect 3.0 for added information and my upgraded 7 inch cluster is working fine with vehicle settings ect.

Attachments

• IMG_2376.jpeg
    IMG_2376.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2377.jpeg
    IMG_2377.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed its alot of people with older trucks without the security bypass harness that I have to have in order to make any changes on my 2020 Ram 1500
Classic. Im able to connect to body computer, climate, ect just for whatever reason not the radio navigator module on my 2019 8.4 UAQ with Navigation. Other radio settings in the body computer Ive made changes to in the past and no issues ever with pc or android. Using OBDLink M+ on latest version as well 5.9.4. I went to the 2017 radio navigator module var1 for my truck but also the other ones and no luck connecting to the radio navigator module. Anyone tried this on my particular year make and model with a 2019 8.4 UAQ donor radio. I just wanted to redownload the apps and see if that helped with vehicle user guide returning and maybe enabling the automated loudness setting. Thanks for any help in advance. Also never messed of touched any settings in the advance menu. Always have used regular without any issues.

Also before I upgraded two years ago my truck originally came with the Uconnect 3.0 for added information and my upgraded 7 inch cluster is working fine with vehicle settings ect.
I wonder if the Radio stack is the only thing not tied into requiring the security bypass on the 2018+ RAMs?

OP
OP
J054UA

J054UA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if the Radio stack is the only thing not tied into requiring the security bypass on the 2018+ RAMs?
Meaning the security harness bypass not necessarily to make those changes?

OP
OP
J054UA

J054UA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s exactly what it was!

Attachments

• IMG_2378.jpeg
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 13

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't "think" so. I believe the reason the AGM was implemented was due to the vulnerability of remote controlling everything in the vehicle by hacking the Sierra Wireless Air card, but I could be wrong. We're talking, accelerator, brakes, steering , literally everything...

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s exactly what it was!
I can connect t to the radio module fine, just fails if I try to make a change. Are you able to change anything on there? There really isn't anything in there I need to change.

OP
OP
J054UA

J054UA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can connect t to the radio module fine, just fails if I try to make a change. Are you able to change anything on there? There really isn't anything in there I need to change.
I was able to connect also without using the security harness bypass for 2018+ Rams and not able to change anything unfortunately.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was able to connect also without using the security harness bypass for 2018+ Rams and not able to change anything unfortunately.
Do you have a SGM bypass hooked up?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn’t allow me to connect to radio with it. Only without it everything else has to use the by security bypass harness. But I got done what I wanted to.
What bypass harness are you using? I do believe but I’m frequently wrong that some bypass harnesses don’t allow access to all areas of the BCM.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What bypass harness are you using? I do believe but I’m frequently wrong that some bypass harnesses don’t allow access to all areas of the BCM.
I know the one that connects to the OBDII port and the star connector doesn't work on my wife's Pacifica (for everything).

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the one that connects to the OBDII port and the star connector doesn't work on my wife's Pacifica (for everything).
Just curious as I’ve never used Alfa to access the media settings. I have the bypass harness on my 2018 from deereguy a forum member who makes them. It’s allowed me to add keyless n go, a trailer brake controller, reset TPMS thresholds for LT tires, change RF hub, convert to LED lighting, add key fobs, change tire size and do diagnostics on the HVAC system. I’ve seen a few security gateway harnesses that don’t allow full access to vehicle systems. Possible that the OP has such a bypass harness?

OP
OP
J054UA

J054UA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually after reading this my harness doesn’t allow it to connect to the radio.

From the harness provider:

If you have a 2018+ RAM and would like to perform diagnostics or make changes to the modules of your truck using tools like AlfaOBD or AutoEngenuity, this bypass is for you.Does this allow access to all modules?It has been tested connecting to the BCM and RFH. Since it bypasses the security module for both the CAN C and CAN IHS, almost all modules should be good. The one exception is the radio. The radio does not directly connect to the either CAN of the truck, it is hung off of a DMZ on the security module to protect the truck's CAN in case the radio would be comprised via the 4G cellular functionality

Attachments

• IMG_2416.png
    IMG_2416.png
    407.8 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357