Engine cuts off when decelerating ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AvantiHauler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having a bizarre engine dying issue on my 2012 Ram 1500 with the hemi V-8, 170K miles. Occasionally and at random the engine just turns off - always happens when decelerating to stop or take a turn. Engine doesn’t sputter or cut out, it just turns off. Generally I don’t even notice it till I feel the heavy steering. I mean it’s like I turn off the ignition.
It always restarts no problem - just put it in neutral and it fires right up.
I can’t find any consistency to conditions when it happens other than always when decelerating. Happens when low on fuel and with a full tank, when exiting off the highway or just coming to a stop on side roads, engine temp super hot (after long highway run) or just normal running around town.
Anyone ever had a similar problem or any idea of cause? TIA

Crooks1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What RPM is it at when it does? Although mine is a “high performance” build, it does this same thing if I let it set for a while and the fuel gets a little old. Mine does at very low RPMs when slowing down though, normally under 900.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your idle air control valve, could be dirty or failing. Could also be dirty injectors.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had this issue 2x over my life of owning cars and trucks over 53 years. The first time I had every diagnostic known to man run to pinpoint an issue. $1000 later is was a cracked air intake hose, $8 part. When I turned right, it was separating just enough so that extra air entered the intake, and when the CPU tried to adjust, I had completed the turn but the air was too restricted for the adjustment. The engine would die and I would simply restart the car while rolling. Second time it happened on a truck, and I found it by putting a flashlight in the air box at night and moving the air intake hose. The crack was about 2" but it was so tight you couldn't see it when it came back together. Replaced the hose, problem fixed.

Last edited: