Engine light - no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Engine light on the dash came up yesterday. Connected AlfaOBD and found two codes related to the LED parking lights B16C3 and B16BF. I cleared them and they only come back when the headlights are turned on. I've read how to get rid of them and will sort out later. But with the headlights off and no codes on Alfa and no messages on the dash I still have the engine light. Anyone seen this before?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have seen it with other codes for sure. Sometimes the light needs a cycle to either go out or send you a code, yes many times I have seen this especially with gas tube cel. Give it time to reveal if it is fixed or still an issue, how long have you driven and have a light with no code?

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably 30kM. Not concerned as it has good oil pressure and level, not running hot in engine or transmission or running rough etc.

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still no codes, and engine light still on.

For the B16C3 and B16BF codes, they still weren't back but came back immediately when I turned the headlights on - so engine light has nothing to do with those. When I was connected to it with AlfaOBD I just changed the front parkers to LED's present and will see if that eliminates the B16C3 and B16BF codes from coming up.

Still doesn't explain the engine light and no codes though!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hopefully the engine light will turn itself off, with a several ignition cycles.

But if the headlight switch or lights are triggering it, it may continue lighting back up.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For sh!ts and giggles try disconnecting the trucks battery for 10 minutes and see what happens.

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully the engine light will turn itself off, with a several ignition cycles.

But if the headlight switch or lights are triggering it, it may continue lighting back up.
It isn't the headlights as I haven't used them and there are no codes present until I turn headlights on. Those codes were probably there for many months and I only saw them when I connected to find out what the engine light was all about.

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got home this afternoon with the engine light still on. When I turned the engine off there was a odd noise from the air cleaner area, like a plastic aircon system door closing? I turned the engine back on and the check engine light was gone. Wierd. Will have a look and see if anything around the air cleaner looks out of place.