Engine noise on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone help with what this noise may be? It happens on cold start and usually lasts 10-15 minutes. 1-2 hours after driving there aren't any noises.

I took it in to the dealer the first time and they replaced the idler pulley & tensioner belt. Got the truck back and started making this noise again. Could it be the serpentine belt and/or timing belt?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's no timing belt on a Hemi. Could still be the serpentine belt, you could get a can of belt dressing (that's what it's called, it'll be at any auto parts store.. little aerosol can) and spray a little on the belt to see if it goes away. If the sound goes away congratulations that was the problem and you solved it for like... 4 or 5 years probably.

Another thing you can do - and be CAREFUL here!!! - is use a piece of tube or hose as a stethoscope. One end by your ear, other end you probe it around various places under the hood and see where it's loudest. I cannot stress enough that you should not be a bonehead here, you could lose fingers or worse if you aren't careful around moving parts on a running engine. Like my dad probably should have told me.. be careful where you stick that thing.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is definitely a belt or pulley mine squealed a bit until I changed it.

OP
OP
S

Samo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is definitely a belt or pulley mine squealed a bit until I changed it.
Did you end up changing the serpentine belt? Dealer changed the idler pulley & tensioner belt but not the serpentine.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you end up changing the serpentine belt? Dealer changed the idler pulley & tensioner belt but not the serpentine.
Yes new belt.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My truck made the same noise and it was a water pump making that squeaking noise.

Just another thing to consider if the belt dosnt fix it. I tried a new belt. New idler pully, new tensioner and then they found the pump was squeaking

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine sounds identical. Same year truck, same color too. I dont think its a big deal, i barely notice it