Engine noise, video of noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have this engine noise that just started. Theres a loud tap noise ever so often. Doesnt seem to change any with rpm from what i can tell. Noticed my oil pressure yesterday seemed way out of normal range. As low as 22 idling and high as 60 taking off from stop or red light. It is time for an oil change also.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tried posting a video for yal to hear but its not uploading

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi

Ok here is a video of the noise im hearing. Theres alot of motor noise but you can hear the other noise come in. Its almost like the sound of a soda can getting krinkled how it it makes that popping noise.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It does sound like lifter tap or a sticky valve, you might benefit from a lubrication strategy similar to the hemi tick lubrication strategies. Some body of thought is run a solvent through your oil before you change it, this can help sticky valve which I think is likely here. However, many times I have seen with these hemi's a valve spring can already be in half, as in broke.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I rarely suggest this, but in this case I would likely go get some sea foam and run it in the crank case and see where you are at after 25 miles, go on a nice little trip. Somewhere between 50-100 miles I would change the oil. If you are in a place that sells kreen flush even better.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the advice! Ive thought about doing the seafoam in the crankcase but ive never done it. I have put it in the gas before. So the noise doesnt speed up or slow done with rpm also. I revved it up to 3k slowly back down to 2k and held it there the best i could and it doesnt accelerate with the engine. Could that still be the issue?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do a compression test, if you can put in a spark plug, you can do a compression test. Find which side this tap is on, sometimes a stethoscope to verify, just put it on either valve cover, I bet the culprit reveals itself. The start on the easy plugs, the middle ones, and see what the compression is. Compression testers are less then 15 bucks,

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Also, connect a vacuum gauge to a vacuum port on the intake manifold and run that as well. Google how to either of those, this one is easier then compression test. A broken spring will cause the gauge needle to drop sharply; each time the affected valve tries to close.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my case,going back from synthetic oil to conventional, kill the hemi tick about 80%,next oil change I gonna ad lubegard biotech.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sounds exactly like mine before a roller broke off of a lifter get ready for a cam/lifters had this Noise for a month or so before it let loose. Also the oil pressure is normal hot idle is is 23psi for me 50 or so when driving.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
It sounds exactly like mine before a roller broke off of a lifter get ready for a cam/lifters had this Noise for a month or so before it let loose. Also the oil pressure is normal hot idle is is 23psi for me 50 or so when driving.
Did you keep driving until it all let loose or did you fix the lifter and then the cam let loose?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you keep driving until it all let loose or did you fix the lifter and then the cam let loose?
Heard the noise couldn't figure out what it was til it was to late. The needle bearings start to fall out roller breaks off lifter and then eats the cam. You may be able to save your cam if you stop running it how long has it been making this noise?
Here is a pic of lifter when it happened to me.
IMG_20200329_170648.jpgIMG_20200329_170713.jpg
Also dont ever use Enginetech lifters from rock auto the lifter above had 10k on it before it failed and wiped out the cam for second time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Heard the noise couldn't figure out what it was til it was to late. The needle bearings start to fall out roller breaks off lifter and then eats the cam. You may be able to save your cam if you stop running it how long has it been making this noise?
Here is a pic of lifter when it happened to me.
View attachment 486057View attachment 486058
Also dont ever use Enginetech lifters from rock auto the lifter above had 10k on it before it failed and wiped out the cam for second time.
Its been making the noise for a few weeks but, i drive to my workplace at the beginning of the week which is maybe 10 miles. Park the truck all week while i drive a company truck and pick my truck up on friday. Id say ive put less than 100 miles on it since i first heard the noise.
At this point im trying to decide what to do. Should i try to throw some stuff in it and redline oil and hope it goes away or is it to late for that? Should i just try the lifters? Or do a whole lifter cam kit?
I bought the truck used with 60k miles on it. It currently has 165k. I think i did 1 oil change after buying with conventional oil, then i found this forum. I started using penzoil platinum and wix synthetic filter. Changed the oil every time the change oil warning came up which is typically 2 or 3 times a year for me. I dont mind spending the money for the complete kit, i just want the best bang for my buck.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its been making the noise for a few weeks but, i drive to my workplace at the beginning of the week which is maybe 10 miles. Park the truck all week while i drive a company truck and pick my truck up on friday. Id say ive put less than 100 miles on it since i first heard the noise.
At this point im trying to decide what to do. Should i try to throw some stuff in it and redline oil and hope it goes away or is it to late for that? Should i just try the lifters? Or do a whole lifter cam kit?
I bought the truck used with 60k miles on it. It currently has 165k. I think i did 1 oil change after buying with conventional oil, then i found this forum. I started using penzoil platinum and wix synthetic filter. Changed the oil every time the change oil warning came up which is typically 2 or 3 times a year for me. I dont mind spending the money for the complete kit, i just want the best bang for my buck.
I dont think a oil change or additive will help at all I would bet money on a the roller going bad on a lifter as for for just doing lifters really depends if you find any damage on cam.

Playwelder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have this engine noise that just started. Theres a loud tap noise ever so often. Doesnt seem to change any with rpm from what i can tell. Noticed my oil pressure yesterday seemed way out of normal range. As low as 22 idling and high as 60 taking off from stop or red light. It is time for an oil change also.
Iam no expert, i learned alot from u-tube videos. Sounds like lifter.
Iam no expert! I learned alot on u-TUBE VIDEOS.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First, I'd check for stored codes.

Then, using a Stethoscope, check around the front of the engine. To my ear it sounds like a noisy belt tensioner, idler pulley bearing. or a worn drive belt.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 065202 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should add, water pump, too.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 065202 miles.

Bj Binette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Then, using a Stethoscope, check around the front of the engine. To my ear it sounds like a noisy belt tensioner, idler pulley bearing. or a worn drive belt.

Regards,
Dusty
Now that you mention it..... I'm a service tech for commercial fitness equipment and some treadmills make that same sound and it's usually the drive belt or the idler pulley.
Even if you're wrong, that's a good call

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi

Regards,
Dusty
Yeah that was one of my first thoughts aswell, its a mechanic right now, he informed me that he pulled the belt off and the noise is still there. The strange thing is the clicking, popping noise does not change with motor rpm.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put your Stethoscope on your fuel injectors on the fuel rail they may be making most of that noise. put some redline complete fuel system cleaner in the tank it may take some of that noise away.

Last edited: