Engine question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geer hed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I have an 02 Ram 1500 sport. It has the 4.7L engine in it, with auto trans, and 4 wheel drive.

I need to replace the engine. The cost of a new one is not even close to being affordable for me right now. So I am looking at used engines. I have found a couple but my question is, some of them are out of a Durango, or a Dakota. The only thing I see listed is that the 8th digit of the vin is an -N-.

Is there any thing else that I need to go by to make sure the engines are the same ?
I don't want and can't afford to make that kind of a purchase mistake, and especially this time of year.

I really like the truck, and it's my first Dodge so I'm not up to speed with Dodge's different engines.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The big thing is they change the tone ring tooth count somewhere around that year you have so you need to see what yours is, dakotas an Durango’s will be interchangeable for you depending on the tone ring

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Absolutely has to have the same tooth count on the crank tone wheel. If you try to install a different count you'll be lucky IF it starts at all. Only way to change it is to pull the crankshaft.

OP
OP
Geer hed

Geer hed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
OK I'm guessing then that is what I have seen them reference the vin number correct ?
I have seen them reference the 8th digit as -N-, so if I get another one that has the same digit I should be good to go, or is there another way to tell before I pull the engine?

SDOTR1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi v8
good evening i have a question would anybody no why when you put a new starter in the 07 ram 2500 I'm just getting a click i turn the fly wheel to make sure its free i put the truck on jumper cables with another truck but can't get it to start do anyone have inf of this issue

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
jumper cables wont start a vehicle with a dead battery right away anymore. get a full charge and try it again

edit: actually could be wrong since its a 2007, make sure battery is fully charged anyway

OP
OP
Geer hed

Geer hed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
good evening i have a question would anybody no why when you put a new starter in the 07 ram 2500 I'm just getting a click i turn the fly wheel to make sure its free i put the truck on jumper cables with another truck but can't get it to start do anyone have inf of this issue

I would start by load testing the battery to make sure that's not the issue, but
If the truck started fine before the starter went bad, it could be a bad connection on the cable going to the starter, the cable itself could also be bad, also they ground through the starter housing and bell housing so if that's dirty it can cause issues, and I have seen brand new bad starters themselves right out of the box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye