Engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tedmeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but read a lot here on the Hemi tick. I have a 17 5.7l with 112k miles.
Developed the tick and was going to do the lifter and cam replacement. Decided to just go with
a new engine and Jasper had one available in a short time. I watched some videos of engine replacement,
but did not buy a manual until I had pulled the engine. The mistake I made was not disconnecting the
flex plate from the torque converter. It came out seemingly Ok, but trying to get the engine back in I just
can't close the transmission and block gap all the way.
I watched several videos of converter to transmission shaft mating and I think I did it correctly, it will not
go in any further and I had three distinctive clunks with movement. It is recessed a half inch inside the bell
housing. The Flex plate protrudes three quarters of an inch from the aluminum gasket. The flex plate only
goes on one way, the eight holes only line up from one side of the plate.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Did I damage the torque converter and it will not go in the extra quarter inch?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but read a lot here on the Hemi tick. I have a 17 5.7l with 112k miles.
Developed the tick and was going to do the lifter and cam replacement. Decided to just go with
a new engine and Jasper had one available in a short time. I watched some videos of engine replacement,
but did not buy a manual until I had pulled the engine. The mistake I made was not disconnecting the
flex plate from the torque converter. It came out seemingly Ok, but trying to get the engine back in I just
can't close the transmission and block gap all the way.
I watched several videos of converter to transmission shaft mating and I think I did it correctly, it will not
go in any further and I had three distinctive clunks with movement. It is recessed a half inch inside the bell
housing. The Flex plate protrudes three quarters of an inch from the aluminum gasket. The flex plate only
goes on one way, the eight holes only line up from one side of the plate.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Did I damage the torque converter and it will not go in the extra quarter inch?
Try reseating the convertor again,if you've got the flex plate installed correctly,the only thing that can keep the transmission and engine from mating is the convertor,as long as you didn't damage it.

OP
OP
T

Tedmeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was able to get the torque converter in and properly seated.
Everything is back together and I have put about 300 mi on new engine.
i hope jasper has addressed the oiling issues and I can get another ten years
out of my truck.

Elvira

Reaction score
Congrats on your attempt and your success in replacing the Ram engine. Cost of replacing cam, lifters and related gaskets along with labour time was probably a good comparison to doing a replacement engine. I know the engine would cost more, but now you have zero miles and a fresh start again. I am sure you will get another 112k out of your truck with no worries.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great luck with that Jasper remanufactured engine, they addressed allot of concerns with these engines, better lubrication, redesigned piston skirts and rings, stronger connecting rods, redesigned roller lifters, stronger valve springs and more.