Engine tick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I know this has been discussed a ton, however most people describe the tick as only appearing when cold and getting quieter as the truck warms up. Mine is the exact opposite. It’s quiet and sounds very smooth when cold but as it warms up and the oil temp rises it starts ticking/tapping very bad. I bought the truck 6 months ago with 169k miles and it didn’t tick when I test drove it as it was cold, but once I got it home I started to notice it. I’ve currently put about 15,000 miles on it since I bought it and the ticking has not gotten any worse but has not gotten any better. Still runs smooth and has plenty of power. I’ve tried multiple different brands/weights of oil, supplements, ect and nothing changes it. All exhaust studs are there and tightened all up so I don’t believe it’s an exhaust leak. Any idea as to what it could be? I know the “hemi tick” is common but mine seems to be louder than most describe, as in it can be heard 15ft-20ft away while it’s idling. Just want some insight as to if I should keep driving it or I should have it looked at as soon as possible.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was a thought except it’s been ticking for the last 15,000 miles as my post stated so I figured if it was a bad lifter eating away at the camshaft I would have developed a misfire by now.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Get a mechanics stethoscope ($5.00 harbor freight) and pinpoint where the tick is coming from.I also had this concern a while back and it turned out to be my fuel injectors.A bottle of redline fuel treatment quieted them right up.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a mechanics stethoscope ($5.00 harbor freight) and pinpoint where the tick is coming from.I also had this concern a while back and it turned out to be my fuel injectors.A bottle of redline fuel treatment quieted them right up.
Thanks I’ll try both of those suggestions! Can the injectors get loud enough to hear from that far away?

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well,my 2019 developing a hemi tick on idle,this truck have only 29.500km since new,so I went to the dealer for a diagnosis, they say is nothing wrong with the engine,all good,just keep driving,so now my only option is lubegard,knock down the ticking noise,if it helps.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Exhaust manifolds leaks make more noise when cold. hot idle ticks could be piston slap, cam lifter issues, fuel injectors . That being said my 6.4 is noisy at startup, ticks like crazy in a drive through, have had many blackstone oil reports, all showing no abnormal wear. I do notice that when I change the oil, it is somewhat more queit, for a2-3 K miles. Using a Royal purple oil filter stopped cold start up oil starvation noise. Hemi's have noise issues, at 86 K on my 17 2500, overall it's been a great truck.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhaust manifolds leaks make more noise when cold. hot idle ticks could be piston slap, cam lifter issues, fuel injectors . That being said my 6.4 is noisy at startup, ticks like crazy in a drive through, have had many blackstone oil reports, all showing no abnormal wear. I do notice that when I change the oil, it is somewhat more queit, for a2-3 K miles. Using a Royal purple oil filter stopped cold start up oil starvation noise. Hemi's have noise issues, at 86 K on my 17 2500, overall it's been a great truck.
Thanks for the input! I initially had the issue with the cold start tick as well until I switched from a carquest premium filter to a motor craft after reading they had a better drain back valve. Since the switch I have had no noise at startup so it’s strictly when it warms up. Just sent in a black stone analysis yesterday so I guess I’ll see if it’s anything I should worry about when I get the results back. I’m going to guess it’s just somthing I’ll have to deal with.

Rick57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I know this has been discussed a ton, however most people describe the tick as only appearing when cold and getting quieter as the truck warms up. Mine is the exact opposite. It’s quiet and sounds very smooth when cold but as it warms up and the oil temp rises it starts ticking/tapping very bad. I bought the truck 6 months ago with 169k miles and it didn’t tick when I test drove it as it was cold, but once I got it home I started to notice it. I’ve currently put about 15,000 miles on it since I bought it and the ticking has not gotten any worse but has not gotten any better. Still runs smooth and has plenty of power. I’ve tried multiple different brands/weights of oil, supplements, ect and nothing changes it. All exhaust studs are there and tightened all up so I don’t believe it’s an exhaust leak. Any idea as to what it could be? I know the “hemi tick” is common but mine seems to be louder than most describe, as in it can be heard 15ft-20ft away while it’s idling. Just want some insight as to if I should keep driving it or I should have it looked at as soon as possible.
I wouldn't worry too much about the noise. I had a 2009 1500 Ram that was noisey at startup and while idling 100%, but no issues. Drove it 12 years, put 187k ticking miles on it. Last May, I bought another Ram, 2021, and that damn thing is noisier than my 2009!

brad byron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if it's the 3.6 Pentistar engine, i can almost beyond any doubt tell you what the problem is.....Cam Follow(s) and/or Lifters. Had the exact same symptoms on my 2015 1500 3.6 Pentistar Ram. quiet cold/ticking when warmed up. plenty of oil pressure with 5W-20 oil. So, rather than wait for it to "go away", from ROCKAUTO ordered 24 new Mellings roller rockers and 24 new Mellings lifters....since i didnt know which roller/lifter(s) may be going bad. the actual rollers on the stock rockers have a tendency to fail...i've got about 80K on the engine. found two rollers were bad....cam lodes were fine. the lodes can get scored if the failed roller is in place for long enough. replaced all 24 lifters/rollers just for future insurance.......since doing this about 5K miles ago, engine's super quiet hot or cold.........

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't worry too much about the noise. I had a 2009 1500 Ram that was noisey at startup and while idling 100%, but no issues. Drove it 12 years, put 187k ticking miles on it. Last May, I bought another Ram, 2021, and that damn thing is noisier than my 2009!
Yah I’m just going to drive it like it is until anything serious pops up. Like I said I figured if it was anything bad something would have came up within the 15k miles I’ve put on it. Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if it's the 3.6 Pentistar engine, i can almost beyond any doubt tell you what the problem is.....Cam Follow(s) and/or Lifters. Had the exact same symptoms on my 2015 1500 3.6 Pentistar Ram. quiet cold/ticking when warmed up. plenty of oil pressure with 5W-20 oil. So, rather than wait for it to "go away", from ROCKAUTO ordered 24 new Mellings roller rockers and 24 new Mellings lifters....since i didnt know which roller/lifter(s) may be going bad. the actual rollers on the stock rockers have a tendency to fail...i've got about 80K on the engine. found two rollers were bad....cam lodes were fine. the lodes can get scored if the failed roller is in place for long enough. replaced all 24 lifters/rollers just for future insurance.......since doing this about 5K miles ago, engine's super quiet hot or cold.........
Mine actually has the 5.7 hemi but I appreciate the advice! I’m pretty sure mine isn’t a seized lifter as I’ve put quite a few miles on with it ticking and no misfire has devolved yet so the cam must still be in good shape.

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am on my 4th Hemi, the little one, 2 5.7's, and now a 6.4. Mine was purchased with 71,000 and now have 103,000 just over a year. No tick, no knocks, just really noisy at idle, hot or cold. I started using TC-W3 about 5000 miles ago.1 oz to 5 gallons. My motor is dead quiet. I can hear the serpentine belt at idle rather then clicks and clacks etc. It actually cured the noise on the first tank full. I think a lot of the noise is injectors. I am sure many will find this ludicrous, but I am liking the 1 mpg improvement as well. Anything is welcome when you get 10.5 to 11.5 mpg.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am on my 4th Hemi, the little one, 2 5.7's, and now a 6.4. Mine was purchased with 71,000 and now have 103,000 just over a year. No tick, no knocks, just really noisy at idle, hot or cold. I started using TC-W3 about 5000 miles ago.1 oz to 5 gallons. My motor is dead quiet. I can hear the serpentine belt at idle rather then clicks and clacks etc. It actually cured the noise on the first tank full. I think a lot of the noise is injectors. I am sure many will find this ludicrous, but I am liking the 1 mpg improvement as well. Anything is welcome when you get 10.5 to 11.5 mpg.
I've got some of that in my shop...think I'll try it!

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well,becoze my truck have full powertrain warranty I decide to do the oil change&filter at the dealership,it may bring down the tick or not,but this way I have proof the service was done by them,so as loong as I have their warranty 5years/100.000km its better to do this by them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990