Engine Wire Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scoutmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Hello all,

I am new here. I am having a problem with my Engine Wiring Harness. I have a 1999 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4. I put this in storage a while ago. I went once a month or so to start it and drive it to keep it running properly. One time I went to start it and it would not. I opened up the hood and found that some squirrels had gotten in there and eaten up quite a bit of wires. I found a junk yard locally that had a wire harness, but someone had gotten to the truck first and taken out the transmission and cut the wire harness from the back of the block to the underside of the vehicle...about 25 wires?

It seems that my wire harness is not destroyed down under the block, but I do not know where those wires lead to disconnect my old one. I have looked for some diagrams or pictures to help me know what and where to disconnect my old harness to no avail. It seems as though I would have all I need to combine the 2 harnesses into one good one.

I would appreciate any advice or help form you all here in what you might do if it were you.

Thank you,

Steve

bradluster73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

I am new here. I am having a problem with my Engine Wiring Harness. I have a 1999 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4. I put this in storage a while ago. I went once a month or so to start it and drive it to keep it running properly. One time I went to start it and it would not. I opened up the hood and found that some squirrels had gotten in there and eaten up quite a bit of wires. I found a junk yard locally that had a wire harness, but someone had gotten to the truck first and taken out the transmission and cut the wire harness from the back of the block to the underside of the vehicle...about 25 wires?

It seems that my wire harness is not destroyed down under the block, but I do not know where those wires lead to disconnect my old one. I have looked for some diagrams or pictures to help me know what and where to disconnect my old harness to no avail. It seems as though I would have all I need to combine the 2 harnesses into one good one.

I would appreciate any advice or help form you all here in what you might do if it were you.

Thank you,

Steve
Where are you located

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

bradluster73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bradenton Fl
Ok well those wires underneath should go the the side of the tranny and o2 sensors and speed sensors. There are 1 neutral safety switch on the drivers side of the trany up by the front, 1 shift sensor on the same side in the middle 1 speed sensor on the same side at the back before the transfer case, 1 speedo sensor on the back of the transfer case, 2 o2 sensor plugs on the passenger side in the exhaust pipe

bradluster73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok well those wires underneath should go the the side of the tranny and o2 sensors and speed sensors. There are 1 neutral safety switch on the drivers side of the trany up by the front, 1 shift sensor on the same side in the middle 1 speed sensor on the same side at the back before the transfer case, 1 speedo sensor on the back of the transfer case, 2 o2 sensor plugs on the passenger side in the exhaust pipe

The shift or od sensor plug will be a big plug its located up on top of the side drivers side above the pan bolts its black plug

OP
OP
S

Scoutmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Thank you for your reply. If I am counting correctly I should be looking for 6 'plugs' in the areas that you mentioned. I at least know where to start now.

bradluster73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for your reply. If I am counting correctly I should be looking for 6 'plugs' in the areas that you mentioned. I at least know where to start now.
Yes correct 6 to 7 plugs

OP
OP
S

Scoutmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
It looks like that is the only one the guy left when taking the transmission. I remember unplugging the black one in that location.

OP
OP
S

Scoutmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Then yes you should have 6 to 7 plugs my truck is a 97 and it has 6 plugs. To bad your not closer I have a complete wiring harness lol

How far are you from here...never to far for USPS. LOL.

Thanks again. I will post more when I get further into it.

bradluster73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How far are you from here...never to far for USPS. LOL.

Thanks again. I will post more when I get further into it.
I'm in north texas and alright let me know if I can help further

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should search compatible years because the ECU changes a couple times 93 -02 like 93 to 95 same 96 97 same 98 02 same. I have 98 cab on 96. Frame. Using 98 harness because 96 doesn't have Tcm

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Scoutmaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Thanks for the reply Dan. I have the exact year (1999) for the 'new' wire harness. The part of the new one was cut off behind the block, so I need to combine the 2 into one good one. I am still trying to trace a couple of wires. Hard to get to and see at the same time. But thanks for taking the time to help.

Michael Canning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2L
Hello all,

Thank you,

Steve
Do you still have a diagram of the wire harness for the engain