Excuse my ignorance....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018/1987
Engine
2500/360
Hi All,

I have been doing some skim reading checking out some posts and what not. Lots of nice vehicles, nice people and informative things. I apologize for my ignorance ahead of time.

I currently own a 2018 Eco Diesel Laramie 4x4. I also own a 1987 W250 that my Grandfather purchased brand new, for $17,000 o_O. She's a little worse for wear, but one day I'll get it up and running properly.

I am looking into a 6" lift. I had a Silverado with a leveling kit then a 4". I also test drove a 2019 Ram with a 6" and loved it, except the price :D

I see there are BDS, Tuff Country, Rough Country, etc...

I see more posts liking the BDS.

Few Questions:

I was told by someone my truck will not fit a rim smaller than a 20"? I am told another friend has the same exact truck, just a few years older (2013?) with 18" wheels. Can I fit a wheel smaller than 20"?

Going to a 6" with probably 37x12.50, how much with my MPG be affected? I currently get about 20 city, and 29 on the highway (I LOVE IT).

Most lifts now a days don'y say much about lengthening my driveline when I go 6", is this accurate?

Most lifts are saying I need 5" of backspacing on the wheel, is this due to clearance issues for turning? Having the wheel tucked in more, is better?

With 37x12.5, will my accelaration be deeply affected? If so, are there recommended upgrades? I'm still under warranty, in CA, so you know how that goes.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance, I am terrible with a search bar too.

Thank you all for any help you may give.

Happy Holidays!

IMG_0116.JPG

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For your 2018 Ram you should be able to run just about any 17" rim as it was a factory option for that year. I think it's the starting with the Gen5 trucks that use 18" or larger rims.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Hello and welcome. I am assuming you are talking mostly about the Eco so apologize if you're referring to the 250.

I have the same 2018 Laramie Ecodiesel. I put a 4" lift on it so can only speak to that, but with the lift, new wheels (20x9 0 offset) and 35" Hybrid tires, I lost an easy 4-7 mpgs. I haven't corrected the speedo yet for tire size and those numbers are based on the EVIC so I assume after correcting it will improve some. I'm pretty sure you can fit 17" and up wheels on the Eco. The motor is pretty peppy and has most of the torque down low in the RPM's so 37" tires being heavier will certainly make a difference off the line, but it won't be as prevalent as a gas engine that gets it's torque at a higher RPM.

OP
OP
K

Kevin Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018/1987
Engine
2500/360
For your 2018 Ram you should be able to run just about any 17" rim as it was a factory option for that year. I think it's the starting with the Gen5 trucks that use 18" or larger rims.

Thanks, I was looking to go down to an 18". 20' just gets too expensive lol

OP
OP
K

Kevin Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018/1987
Engine
2500/360
Hello and welcome. I am assuming you are talking mostly about the Eco so apologize if you're referring to the 250.

I have the same 2018 Laramie Ecodiesel. I put a 4" lift on it so can only speak to that, but with the lift, new wheels (20x9 0 offset) and 35" Hybrid tires, I lost an easy 4-7 mpgs. I haven't corrected the speedo yet for tire size and those numbers are based on the EVIC so I assume after correcting it will improve some. I'm pretty sure you can fit 17" and up wheels on the Eco. The motor is pretty peppy and has most of the torque down low in the RPM's so 37" tires being heavier will certainly make a difference off the line, but it won't be as prevalent as a gas engine that gets it's torque at a higher RPM.

Yes, the 2018, not the 250, that was just for show and tell lol. I'm not too worried about off the line, so thats good to know. I just didn't want a drastic drop like getting 15 mpg on the freeway. I have a company car for when I get a site, so luckily it's just a 12 mile freeway trip. Thank you!

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Thanks, I was looking to go down to an 18". 20' just gets too expensive lol

I hear ya. I live down a twisty turny road. My last truck had 18's when I bought it and after going up to 20's cornering just felt better to me. Less sidewall flex. Not sure what difference you'd feel between a 37" tire on 18's vs 20's. The 18's will probably be a smoother ride and a little better for off-roading, but mine's mostly a mall crawler so I went with the 20's for a little better road handling. All about what you want to do with the truck. Good luck and you'll find a ton of info here about how to spend money on it...

OP
OP
K

Kevin Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018/1987
Engine
2500/360
I hear ya. I live down a twisty turny road. My last truck had 18's when I bought it and after going up to 20's cornering just felt better to me. Less sidewall flex. Not sure what difference you'd feel between a 37" tire on 18's vs 20's. The 18's will probably be a smoother ride and a little better for off-roading, but mine's mostly a mall crawler so I went with the 20's for a little better road handling. All about what you want to do with the truck. Good luck and you'll find a ton of info here about how to spend money on it...

Interesting, that didn't even come to mind. Now you got me all messed up lol

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’d go with BDS if you’re gonna go offroad at all, or Zone if it’s gonna be a street queen ... They are sister companies ... If the price diff between 18” and 20” is your limiting financial concern, then you may wanna rethink this ... 20” is becoming way more common, and the diff isn’t that bad ... As mentioned, handling will be waaaay better with 37’s and 20’s ... To run 37’s and not look stuffed, folk who have done it say to get the 5” rear option, and then leave out the top spacer in front, and run Bils at 2.8”, or Eibach at 3” ... Wheel wise, you’re gonna want a 9” wide min with a min of 0 offset ... -12 or -18 looks better tho ... Acceleration will take a little hit, and fuel mileage concerns with a 6” lifted truck with 37’s is just silly ... Either you want it, and you’re willing to pay for it, or you don’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

Kevin Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018/1987
Engine
2500/360
I’d go with BDS if you’re gonna go offroad at all, or Zone if it’s gonna be a street queen ... They are sister companies ... If the price diff between 18” and 20” is your limiting financial concern, then you may wanna rethink this ... 20” is becoming way more common, and the diff isn’t that bad ... As mentioned, handling will be waaaay better with 37’s and 20’s ... To run 37’s and not look stuffed, folk who have done it say to get the 5” rear option, and then leave out the top spacer in front, and run Bils at 2.8”, or Eibach at 3” ... Wheel wise, you’re gonna want a 9” wide min with a min of 0 offset ... -12 or -18 looks better tho ... Acceleration will take a little hit, and fuel mileage concerns with a 6” lifted truck with 37’s is just silly ... Either you want it, and you’re willing to pay for it, or you don’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it went something drastic like 20 mpg to 10 mpg, then I'd reconsider the size of everything. Since it seems to be less than that I'm not worried. It's not fully a financial based decision on 18" or 20" but it does have some factor. All the pro's con's add up. Appreciate the help, let the search begin!

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

I have been doing some skim reading checking out some posts and what not. Lots of nice vehicles, nice people and informative things. I apologize for my ignorance ahead of time.

I currently own a 2018 Eco Diesel Laramie 4x4. I also own a 1987 W250 that my Grandfather purchased brand new, for $17,000 o_O. She's a little worse for wear, but one day I'll get it up and running properly.

I am looking into a 6" lift. I had a Silverado with a leveling kit then a 4". I also test drove a 2019 Ram with a 6" and loved it, except the price :D

I see there are BDS, Tuff Country, Rough Country, etc...

I see more posts liking the BDS.

Few Questions:

I was told by someone my truck will not fit a rim smaller than a 20"? I am told another friend has the same exact truck, just a few years older (2013?) with 18" wheels. Can I fit a wheel smaller than 20"?

Going to a 6" with probably 37x12.50, how much with my MPG be affected? I currently get about 20 city, and 29 on the highway (I LOVE IT).

Most lifts now a days don'y say much about lengthening my driveline when I go 6", is this accurate?

Most lifts are saying I need 5" of backspacing on the wheel, is this due to clearance issues for turning? Having the wheel tucked in more, is better?

With 37x12.5, will my accelaration be deeply affected? If so, are there recommended upgrades? I'm still under warranty, in CA, so you know how that goes.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance, I am terrible with a search bar too.

Thank you all for any help you may give.

Happy Holidays!

View attachment 190008
BDS coil over nice set up comes with FOX coil overs