Extended warranty at time of purchase for diesel or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Factory warranty only and shop around rather than buying from your dealer. You can typically purchase from any dealer in the country and up until your 3/36 coverage expires (maybe 6/60 if all you want is powertrain). You can usually get your dealer to match or come close once you get another price from a competitor if you want to roll it into you loan but that's a whole other topic.

As for whether to get a warranty or not... this is usually a HUGE debate and those that say it's insurance are correct. I'm on my third tranny and second engine for the $2200 I paid back in 2014 so you can guess what I think. That being said, statistically the warranties are a bad deal as the company selling them needs to make money. Of course, insurance of all types is a bad deal but we still all buy it.
Accurate post. Thanks. Be sure and get the factory sponsored coverage.

N2MoPar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Getting out of my ‘22 6.4l (long story) and going to pull the trigger on a new ‘23 6.7l very soon. I fall into the category of a diesel rookie, so I am considering buying an extended warranty for the truck. Is it worth it even though it’s got a 5/yr - 100k factory power train warranty? And if you bought one for a diesel, which did you buy, when did you buy it and have you used it. I’m open to all suggestions and opinions.
Definitely get one. Especially if it covers electonics. And remember, you can negotiate the price of the extended warranty. I did and they dropped the price in half.
One last thing- always go for the Mopar/factory warranty, not the 3rd party like Mercury.

3CUMMINS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 2019 2020
Engine
5.9 6.7HO 6.7
I have a 2019 3500 HO
Mine is babied, as I don't need to use it in the winter, so I have about 37 K on it. Nothing untoward has happened to it, save the infernal recalls.
If my memory serves me correctly, there was an issue with the 2020 and /or 2021 3500 HO models. Being quasi-old and decrepit it was either the engine or the Aisain.
Again, while I put it away for the winter, it hauls everything and anything the rest of the year.
Did I waste my money? Possibly, but my son had a 2020 Laramie 2500 CTD and had problems, not with the mechanical, save any recalls, but the electronics. He bought coverage for that, among other things, and has recently traded it and bought himself a 2005 Laramie 3500 dualie with a high output and pleased as punch. It was the recalls and the electronic "stuff" that did him in. He is barely into his 30's, so he is not a techno-boob, like my husband.
Do I regret spending the $$. Nope. I only bought the extended coverage due to my situation. I have bought CTDs for years without the additional expense. It's as someone else previously said - a 50-50 crap shoot and just consider it like life insurance - should have it but...
You have to know what you will put up with because no one can tell you what may or may not happen and that goes for anything that you buy now.

Last edited:

3CUMMINS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 2019 2020
Engine
5.9 6.7HO 6.7
It must be the turkey (Thanksgiving here in Canada and not the bottled stuff).
I saw K and, as we do, immediately went to Kilometres.
Excuse my beginning drivel, but the sentiment still applies.
Returning to pork and beef...

60Vette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Would someone please explain to me why I should purchase the Maximum Care Plan from CDJR when the plan reverts back to the day I purchased the vehicle rather then when I purchased the Maximum Care Plan? The following is a direct quote, copy and paste, from page 3 of the Maximum Care Plan. "Plan coverage expires on 05/26/2030 or when the Vehicle odometer reads 125,000 mile(s) (whichever occurs first). This Plan provides coverage up to 7 years or 125,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the Vehicle’s original in-service date. The original in-service date begins when the Vehicle is sold, which is the same as the manufacturer’s warranty date. THE 7YEAR PLAN PERIOD AND 125,000 MILEAGE LIMITATION INCLUDES TIME COVERAGE UNDER AND MILEAGE TRAVELEDWITHIN THE MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY PERIOD" If I wait to purchase the plan at the 3yr/36000 mile time line I will not have the seven or eight years to use the plan, as 3 years have already elapsed at the end of the 3yr/36000 mile. This does not seem right! I will only have 4 or 5 years of being covered before the Plan runs out. I would not have anywhere close to 125000 miles or whichever amount I have chosen.
Am I reading this clause correctly or are we getting screwed?

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends on your financial situation. It’s not a warranty, you’re purchasing insurance.

A general rule of thumb is to insure what you cannot reasonably afford to replace. If expensive repairs in later years are a budget concern, it may make sense to offload some risk.

OTOH insurers are not in business to lose money. They have ALL the data on repair frequency and costs, we do not. Understand going into the contract you are betting against the house.
Most people are far too dense to understand this, especially the last paragraph. I don't buy extended warranties on anything, and in the last 37 years of vehicle ownership, I have never had an instance where I regretted it. So if you add up all of the money I would have wasted on extended warranties over the years, I'm pretty far ahead.

Ram knows exactly how much they lose in warranty repairs, so you can be fairly confident that they only sell extended warranties to make money. Sure, lots of folks will tell you how they saved the warranty amount ten times over, but then forget about the 8 other warranties where they got nothing.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would someone please explain to me why I should purchase the Maximum Care Plan from CDJR when the plan reverts back to the day I purchased the vehicle rather then when I purchased the Maximum Care Plan? The following is a direct quote, copy and paste, from page 3 of the Maximum Care Plan. "Plan coverage expires on 05/26/2030 or when the Vehicle odometer reads 125,000 mile(s) (whichever occurs first). This Plan provides coverage up to 7 years or 125,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the Vehicle’s original in-service date. The original in-service date begins when the Vehicle is sold, which is the same as the manufacturer’s warranty date. THE 7YEAR PLAN PERIOD AND 125,000 MILEAGE LIMITATION INCLUDES TIME COVERAGE UNDER AND MILEAGE TRAVELEDWITHIN THE MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY PERIOD" If I wait to purchase the plan at the 3yr/36000 mile time line I will not have the seven or eight years to use the plan, as 3 years have already elapsed at the end of the 3yr/36000 mile. This does not seem right! I will only have 4 or 5 years of being covered before the Plan runs out. I would not have anywhere close to 125000 miles or whichever amount I have chosen.
Am I reading this clause correctly or are we getting screwed?
If I remember correctly, that is the total time and mileage. So, if you get a 7 year 125,000 mile plan it only starts after the 3/36k is up. So you subtract the 3/36k from the 7/125k to get the actual above the regular warranty. So your 7/125k is actually 4/89k after the 3/36k from factory is up.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Getting out of my ‘22 6.4l (long story) and going to pull the trigger on a new ‘23 6.7l very soon. I fall into the category of a diesel rookie, so I am considering buying an extended warranty for the truck. Is it worth it even though it’s got a 5/yr - 100k factory power train warranty? And if you bought one for a diesel, which did you buy, when did you buy it and have you used it. I’m open to all suggestions and opinions.
Plan on keeping it? Then YES

60Vette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
KKBB:
So in the long run I am right in saying we are being screwed? Why do I want to lose, automatically, 3 years of a 7 or 8 year maximum care plan before it even takes affect? It is totally misleading to think I will have 7/8 years after the 3yr mfg warranty has expired.
They lead you to believe that after the initial warranty there will be 7/8 years to reach the 125000, not 4/5 years.
I will probably only have 17 or 18000 miles on the vehicle when the initial 3yr warranty expires. So, we are actually only getting just over half of what we thought in protection. Definitely sounds like a scam to me!
Thoughts?

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know you're trying to determine cost/benefit on a long term service contract for a heavy diesel
vs. my baby diesel but the premise is the same. Major issues with either of these engines could
be costly. As many have mentioned much about this issue is financial and much is about peace of mind.
If you're purchasing new your powertrain warranty will usually cover you for 5 years/100,000 miles
With proper maintenance a 6.7 Cummins should go easily 150,000 to 250,000 miles without any
major issues. However, and that is the big question. How long do you plan to keep the truck, can
you afford a major repair if you don't purchase a service contract, is the contract all encompassing
or does it just cover certain components. Decisions, decisions. Good Luck.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
KKBB:
So in the long run I am right in saying we are being screwed? Why do I want to lose, automatically, 3 years of a 7 or 8 year maximum care plan before it even takes affect? It is totally misleading to think I will have 7/8 years after the 3yr mfg warranty has expired.
They lead you to believe that after the initial warranty there will be 7/8 years to reach the 125000, not 4/5 years.
I will probably only have 17 or 18000 miles on the vehicle when the initial 3yr warranty expires. So, we are actually only getting just over half of what we thought in protection. Definitely sounds like a scam to me!
Thoughts?

What the extended warranty does is extend your coverage for the 5001 parts if that is the plan you chose past the 3/36 coverage that comes with the vehicle out to 8/125...

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My '20 dually just was in for a new DPF and new DEF injector a couple weeks ago. Truck had 48,000 miles on it and the emission warranty was good for 50,000 miles. Had I past 50,000 miles I would have been looking at $4000 bill.

How much is MaxCare going for?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
DPF is not covered by the Max Care extended warranty.

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
My '20 dually just was in for a new DPF and new DEF injector a couple weeks ago. Truck had 48,000 miles on it and the emission warranty was good for 50,000 miles. Had I past 50,000 miles I would have been looking at $4000 bill.

How much is MaxCare going for?
Was that covered under powertrain warranty? Or is the emissions system separate?

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Well guess that doesn’t help me much then. My biggest concern is with the DEF system and having problems with it.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Two separate issues on mine: DEF injector and DPF.
The DPF was covered under the 50,000 mile Emission warranty. Not sure if DEF injector falls under that. Also you should look into the DPF. If the DPF itself is not covered under MaxCare, what about the sensors that are screwed into the DPF? They may be covered.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Owning a diesel is your extended warranty. Do the maintenance, break it in, and drive like an adult.