Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel8Daniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Hello Thread. I recently bought a 2020 Ram Promaster. I also got the extended warranty. Was that a good decision? How do you determine if you should get an extended warranty or not?

Thanks
Daniel

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm Guessing you bought the Promaster for work, if you put lots of miles on it, the warranty will help until the milage runs out. On my work truck, I put about 30K a year, so the long warranty on the Nissan was a good deal. Just depends on what your doing. I use my RAM to tow our travel trailer, mostly. But less than 6k a year total. Extending the FULL COVERAGE warranty to 8 years and 60K for 1250 US was a no brainer. A lot can happen in a few short years. One audio head failure and the warranty is paid for.

brilliantnick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If they didn't have warranty, I wouldn't buy new.

Too many gizmos and sensors nowadays that could take more than a months paycheck to fix.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
MOPAR had a sale on extended warranties recently. Ask what it covers before you buy. I have a Tradesman without all the plush stuff a car has they put in them ( I wanted a truck not a Beamer) an saved myself close to $1,100. Only thing mine doesn't cover is the backup camera.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Roman4405

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the extended warranty on mine just because of the e-torque system, don’t know what that would cost to work on.

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Anytime any salesman asks me if I want the extended warranty on any product I always ask why I should insure the product they are selling. They make it sound like their product is inferior and has lots of problems. I never purchase any warranty.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And always make sure it's a factory warranty and not some aftermarket company. Made that mistake once....got home with my new vehicle years ago...and read up on the "warranty" company. It was a disaster with
complaints online. Went directly back to the dealership and had them change it to a factory warranty. They didn't say anything and did it. Thankfully. Never again.

Also...remember that in some states, including mine, warranty costs are negotiable. Only in some states though.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Thread. I recently bought a 2020 Ram Promaster. I also got the extended warranty. Was that a good decision? How do you determine if you should get an extended warranty or not?

Thanks
Daniel

Usually, use and time of ownership will determine if it is a good idea or not.
For example, the promaster is most likely a work vehicle.
But maybe you make a lot of money and retire the vehicles every 2-4 years - in that case most likely not.
But say you keep the vehicles until they are not serviceable any longer and put a lot of miles on per year - in that case the 7 or 8 year with unlimited miles might be a good option for you.

Also, depends on the extended service agreement terms and the cost of it. The MOPAR one is usually much less expensive online vs. at the dealer.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Look in 4th Gen, tins of threads on this. Two camps, wouldn't own without it, and wouldn't buy it and waste money. I am in latter, the warranty company is in it too make money, there is a reason the finance arm generally runs the program. I constantly get deals emailed on my 2018. My advice, cancel and get your money back. But ultimately, do what you think is right. Good luck

Farm truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I didn't buy an extended warranty at purchase in Sept, I waited and bought it from FCA on a black Friday special. Saved about 1K and no sales tax. The dealer was much higher and charges sales tax. I had been under the truck installing my gooseneck, then the exhaust, then in-bed trailer wiring, all those sensors and wires scared me. I hope I wasted my money on the warranty.