Exterior kind of boring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have to tell you Treb, that first picture you have there is a sharp looking truck to me but of course it comes down to what you like! LOL
When I was car showing back in my teens and 20s chrome was it. You didn't run black wheels. It still is. I would paint the intakes bright silver and ran Weld drag lites so lots of shine. When I got my 04.5 F150 Crew cab it was minimal chrome. Just the bumpers and wheels. I started playing around with black. The F150 sport lights were dark grey so those went in. I custom painted my stock tail lights to look like the Harley Davidson tinted lights. I swapped out the 18s for 22s chrome first and then went back to 20" mostly black offroad rims and mud tires. Ford at least painted the grills body color. I had a buddy custom wrap my emblems. I guess that and probably my 02 step side RC which was totally blacked out was where it all started.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
When I was car showing back in my teens and 20s chrome was it. You didn't run black wheels. It still is. I would paint the intakes bright silver and ran Weld drag lites so lots of shine. When I got my 04.5 F150 Crew cab it was minimal chrome. Just the bumpers and wheels. I started playing around with black. The F150 sport lights were dark grey so those went in. I custom painted my stock tail lights to look like the Harley Davidson tinted lights. I swapped out the 18s for 22s chrome first and then went back to 20" mostly black offroad rims and mud tires. Ford at least painted the grills body color. I had a buddy custom wrap my emblems. I guess that and probably my 02 step side RC which was totally blacked out was where it all started.
As you can see I do like my bumpers body colored. I remember when Mopar done it with the '70 'Cuda I hated it. Time always changes us in one direction or the other! The automakers back in the day put black wheels on the from the factory because it was cheaper and they knew the buyer was going to change them to chrome Cragers or Aluminum slots anyway. I couldn't wait to get those black wheels off and I guess it stuck with me! Like we always say, "To each his own." Sorry, politically correct "to each, him, her, they their own! LOL

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As you can see I do like my bumpers body colored. I remember when Mopar done it with the '70 'Cuda I hated it. Time always changes us in one direction or the other! The automakers back in the day put black wheels on the from the factory because it was cheaper and they knew the buyer was going to change them to chrome Cragers or Aluminum slots anyway. I couldn't wait to get those black wheels off and I guess it stuck with me! Like we always say, "To each his own." Sorry, politically correct "to each, him, her, they their own! LOL
They saved a lot of money back in the day doing that. I personally liked the taxi cab wheels. They had a unique authentic look to them. Even with the foxbodys no one kept the stock wheels. LX cars got 10 holes and those ended up as everyones slicks as they were 15" the Pony wheels were 16 and I ran a set of those for a while, but the big and little welds were the look. I like some chrome, my truck didn't look bad when I bought it back. It had chrome Laramie wheels and stock lights, it just wasn't how I built it, so it had to go back lol.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
They saved a lot of money back in the day doing that. I personally liked the taxi cab wheels. They had a unique authentic look to them. Even with the foxbodys no one kept the stock wheels. LX cars got 10 holes and those ended up as everyones slicks as they were 15" the Pony wheels were 16 and I ran a set of those for a while, but the big and little welds were the look. I like some chrome, my truck didn't look bad when I bought it back. It had chrome Laramie wheels and stock lights, it just wasn't how I built it, so it had to go back lol.
LOL

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks for the "likes" socalramfan, Treburkulosis, 2012RAM1500RT and Chris1126. Someone asked what the tube was on passenger side of my truck under the front fender. It is a reverse snorkel I got with my S&B cold air intake. Brings ambient air directly into the filter box.

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
I lowered the back and added mud flaps and trim across the middle.

Attachments

• DSC00717.JPG
    DSC00717.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 15

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks exactly what I started out with.. I hear you on the plain looks. For the money you spent on it, you were hoping it would look better. However, I still don't get it. You went to the dealer to see it, so if you didn't like the exterior, why buy it. Of course, I understand.. when it comes to interiors, Ram has clearly the better interior of the lot.
You need to understand the these bland look is a good thing. It is a blank canvas on which you can paint your masterpiece. You have the interior just the way you want it. Now get the exterior the way you want it. Decals, Chrome delete, the choices are endless. It is good that you went with the 4th Gen because frankly, I think its the best looking of the modern trucks. And because you got the 4th Gen, there is literally 10 years of aftermarket support out there for you to build your truck into what you want.
You can go as far as to build a TRX concept replica or Rebel or anything else, depending on what your budget will allow.
I would start with a 2" ICON lift, 2017 Ram Rebel Wheels, Chrome Delete and a Manta Exhaust. Oh wait.. that's what's gonna happen to my truck.

horace33

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 dodge 18LARAMIE
Engine
318 5.7
What picky has great styling?? Blue oval flat nose for years a 21 looks like an 80!! The general, what is it?? The 18 Dodge still has a hint of the masculine 2nd gen Power Wagon style. Hard nose German no apologies here.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
don't like chrome

m9FTue.jpg

buy some parts

f2YdMu.jpg

Hey guys, you are just supposed to change out the chrome