External Voltage regulator possible ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsgunn63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The PCM on my 2010 5.7 1500 is no longer sending current to the alternator exciter. A new PCM unit is currently unavailable and I have had a rebuild on order for ever. There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not I can install an External voltage regulator on ths type alternator(internal regulator...remove maybe ?)> I have jumped the alternator exciter to the battery and it charges full field, so Alt fine . Any knowledgeable help appreciated JG

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My understanding on the Chrysler charging system was that when the Voltage Regulator was mounted on the firewall, Chrysler was getting too many complaints about over charged batteries.
So instead of going with an adjustable regulator, they went with the internal regulator in the alternator.

The issue with the internal regulator, is that the PCM shuts the regulator off, when the battery reaches something like 80% charge

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry GT, they went to a PCM controlled regulator, not an internal regulator - for almost all models.. almost.
I guess you could call it an internal regulator, but usually when you say internal voltage regulator it means the regulator is internal in the alternator.

Yes you can use an external regulator, might throw a code but might not either, I haven't tried it.

I would rec. getting an old alternator connector off of a junk car if you don't want to cut your original harness.

Last edited:

Capt B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Due to a fire caused by a squirrel nest under the hood my alternator stopped charging. I wired an old school Chrysler voltage regulator and mounted on the fire wall. You have to provide 12 volts switched power to the regulator to operate it. Still shows CHECK GUAGES but is charging the battery