Factory Markings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dragonhart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed on my 2016 RAM Limited the factory wheels that they are still marked with Chrysler part numbers. So did RAM really separate for Chrysler?

Rim.jpg

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FCA = Fiat Chrysler Automobile, so yes Ram is still part of Chrysler. Ram, is just it’s own brand now, and not just a truck model for Dodge anymore...

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
RAM was a way for dealerships, domestic and abroad, to sell trucks without having to carry Dodge cars. It was never about being an independent entity. The marketing spin was it was about branding with Dodge being performance cars and Rams as "working" trucks. Sounds better than "Dodge cars aren't selling but trucks are and it's tough to convince dealerships to carry the cars" which was the case back in the late 2000's when the split started. It's always stayed under the FCA umbrella, as several posters have mentioned.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Plus it costs $$ to change all the tooling. Even a simple laser marking costs $$ with drawing changes and admin costs.
Not worth it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Plus it costs $$ to change all the tooling. Even a simple laser marking costs $$ with drawing changes and admin costs.
Not worth it.
If you only knew the stupid amount of money that auto manufacturers waste on some of the most trivially things. They change part numbers for firmware upgrades within components all requiring similar cost changes all the time.

A lot of times you will only find markings like the Chrysler symbol only on factory installed parts. The OEM replacement won't have those same markings.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
If you only knew the stupid amount of money that auto manufacturers waste on some of the most trivially things. They change part numbers for firmware upgrades within components all requiring similar cost changes all the time.

A lot of times you will only find markings like the Chrysler symbol only on factory installed parts. The OEM replacement won't have those same markings.

I DO know. I worked as an manufacturing and design engineer for 35 years for the company that makes steering intermediate shafts for these trucks. It's ridiculous sometimes (ok many times LOL).