Factory Projector Spread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Hey guys,

I have a set of Morimoto HIDs installed in my factory projector low beams. I notice that the light pattern on the driver side does not match the passenger side. I have tried turning the bulb in the holder while the lights are on to try and get the light spread to change. It does change but it still wont get as focused as the passenger side. I put a small sliver of cardboard between the bulb and the bulb holder to hold it tightly in the position which gave me the best light spread but I want to fix this issue properly. I also tried to remove the 3 screws and rotate the bulb holder but it seems that it only goes in one way. What else can I try?

I will post some pictures tonight as it is day light out right now.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a weird thing with the Ram factory projectors, the driver side hotspot is smaller and looks slightly off from the passenger side. I thought it was a bulb issue like you until I found others with the same complaint here.

This was one of the testing threads I found:

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
It's a weird thing with the Ram factory projectors, the driver side hotspot is smaller and looks slightly off from the passenger side. I thought it was a bulb issue like you until I found others with the same complaint here.

This was one of the testing threads I found:
Thanks!

Guess I’ll just have to live with it. I never noticed it before with lots of HIDs in this truck. I can barely see the driver side beam on the ground but I can see the passenger side clearly.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!

Guess I’ll just have to live with it. I never noticed it before with lots of HIDs in this truck. I can barely see the driver side beam on the ground but I can see the passenger side clearly.
That's not saying that something couldn't be off with your set up, have you done the troubleshooting steps like swapping bulbs side to side, then swapping ballasts, then wiring if that's possible? It could be something else also and just hiding behind the projector difference side-to-side.

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Took the headlight out again and loosened the 3 torx screws on the bulb holder and rotated the bulb 360 degrees until I found the closest thing to the passenger side. I had to wedge a piece of cardboard between the bulb and bulb holder as well to get this. Other than the shadow from the return wire, I think its pretty close. Hopefully the shadow doesn’t create too much annoyance. We will find out tonight

Attachments

• headlights.jpg
    headlights.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Cardboard? Burn baby burn!
Lol yes. It doesn’t get too hot in that spot. I’ve used it on previous bulbs for 2 years. No burn marks on it when I pulled it out. Without shimming it, I can’t see a hotspot whatsoever.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you had it apart did you swap bulbs and then ballasts side to side?

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
When you had it apart did you swap bulbs and then ballasts side to side?
Yes I did. Didn’t make a difference in the projection. Would the ballast have any bearing on the way it’s reflecting in the projector?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I did. Didn’t make a difference in the projection. Would the ballast have any bearing on the way it’s reflecting in the projector?
It can if it's underperforming for output to the bulb, plus it would rule out a question mark of a potential cause.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Return wire needs to be at the 6 o'clock position.

P.S. even my retrofit set up using D2S 5.0 projectors have a softer divers side output, as others have stated its so you don't blind on coming traffic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963