Falken Wildpeak MT 35x12.5R17's on sale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive seen this before. For some reason the MT goes on sale for cheap! I havent seen the AT less then 280

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I daily drove a 4wd 3/4 ton truck for years but finally decided that a cheap daily driver car made sense probably 7 years ago. The gas cost is only a small factor in this decision, as the repair, maintenance, and overall vehicle replacement costs make the biggest difference. My current "work car" was 4 years old with 50,000 miles on the odometer that I bought for $7,000. Nothing fancy but it is a mid-size car that was in good shape, new tires, etc... I've put another 50,000 miles on it so far with the only maintenance being oil changes and one set of brakes, and repairs have been a common issue on this particular model and have cost me about $600. It is due for tires soon. Here is how I look at it:

Purchase price:
Car = $7,000
PW (used) = $34,000
*This means I can put all the miles on the car and wear it out and buy another for a fraction of the price as a PW.

Fuel Mileage:
Over the 50k miles I've put on the car that means I've saved $5,000-$6000 in fuel costs as compared to driving the PW....that will almost pay for another car when it's needed.

Maintenance and repair:
Generally the car is much cheaper overall. Tires for the car are about 1/3 the cost as tires for the PW, and that's not including they typically last longer.

The only negative is insurance and registration costs of having another vehicle. But again, in my case that added cost is no big deal.

In my case I tend to hold on to vehicles for a long time. My last truck I owned for 17 years
I bought my truck to drive. Not to look at. I bought it loaded for the Comfort. I bought it big so I can run over, and not be ran over. And then there is function. I can pick up a load of sod/concrete on the way home for work. No preplanning. There are so many holes in your reasoning I saw you write this twice already and twice you have not mentioned the cost insurance, cost of registration, or taxes. (Just that it exist) Just the wear and tear of it not even moving out of the driveway adds up. (Wiper blades dry rotted etc.) I hate when I have a rental. If if I’m putting miles on something else. I bought a he PW to drive. Did I mention that?? ;) Just messing with you. But for real, this is a PW thread. Don’t bore us with commuter cars.
love ya man. Stay healthy!!

Last edited:

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my truck to drive. Not to look at. I bought it loaded for the Comfort. I bought it big so I can run over, and not be ran over. And then there is function. I can pick up a load of sod/concrete on the way home for work. No preplanning. There are so many holes in your reasoning I saw you write this twice already and twice you have not mentioned insurance cost registration taxes is just wear and tear of it not even moving. (Wiper blades dry rotted etc.) I hate when I have a rental. If if I’m putting miles on something else. I bought a he PW to drive. Did I mention that?? ;) Just messing with you. But for real, this is a PW thread. Don’t bore us with commuter cars.
love ya man. Stay healthy!!
Believe he got a killer deal on his car. $7,000 down here would buy you head aches. And, texting drivers get out of my lane quick in the PW! I won’t let my wife drive anything smaller than her Tahoe due to distracted drivers.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Believe he got a killer deal on his car. $7,000 down here would buy you head aches. And, texting drivers get out of my lane quick in the PW! I won’t let my wife drive anything smaller than her Tahoe due to distracted drivers.
Lol I’m so Redneck, I would drive my Deere to work if it went fast enough.
I have been on 35s in the last 4 trucks I owned and the 33s are killing me. I’m going straight to 37s when I wear these tires out. (10k to go)

129CE0E1-8149-4FB2-AE07-8EA1FB18AEC1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't get me wrong as I absolutely love driving the truck, just hate putting the monotonous miles on it driving up and down the freeway to work everyday. I have driven it everyday this week to work as I try to take advantage of the cheap gas (paid $1.25 a couple days ago!). I drive it all the time on the weekends and after work......you know, the fun driving.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Don't get me wrong as I absolutely love driving the truck, just hate putting the monotonous miles on it driving up and down the freeway to work everyday. I have driven it everyday this week to work as I try to take advantage of the cheap gas (paid $1.25 a couple days ago!). I drive it all the time on the weekends and after work......you know, the fun driving.
I gotcha. Did not mean to bust your balls. If I had a commuter car, I was thinking the hellcat... apples and oranges I know.
So if most wrecks happen 5 miles from your house... rather be in my wagon (better odds of not getting hurt) and if I die I wanna die in my wagon. Please just put the whole thing to the crusher with me in it.

we just totally derailed this thread.

So yeah... 35”falken- good tire!

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax

And a smoking deal on those tires! can't find those anywhere near that price now. Oh well, should have bought them back in Jan.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
And a smoking deal on those tires! can't find those anywhere near that price now. Oh well, should have bought them back in Jan.

I noticed that you are in Maine, if you need tires that are good in snow/ice/gravel roads, Google Kanati Trail Hogs, they cost about a third less than name brand tires.. I think that I paid around $230.00ish for 37 x 12.50 17`s on line.
Basically a copy of the Goodyear Duratrac but with 10ply E rated and a heavier 3 ply sidewall, more aggressive than the Falken and Toyo AT`s but are a better "true all-terrain tread" IMO...

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I noticed that you are in Maine, if you need tires that are good in snow/ice/gravel roads, Google Kanati Trail Hogs, they cost about a third less than name brand tires.. I think that I paid around $230.00ish for 37 x 12.50 17`s on line.
Basically a copy of the Goodyear Duratrac but with 10ply E rated and a heavier 3 ply sidewall, more aggressive than the Falken and Toyo AT`s but are a better "true all-terrain tread" IMO...

I got those trail hogs on for about 7500 miles now. Got them installed last September I believe?
They're halfway used and I don't think they'll last a second winter.
Love 'em but boy did they use fast!

:bawl:

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
I got those trail hogs on for about 7500 miles now. Got them installed last September I believe?
They're halfway used and I don't think they'll last a second winter.
Love 'em but boy did they use fast!

:bawl:

Yes, even the expensive "name brand" snow flake rated tires will wear faster due to the softer compound required to keep flexibility and grip in cold weather.... At least the Kanati`s are priced reasonably enough so that it doesn`t kill your bank account every time you have to replace them!

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, even the expensive "name brand" snow flake rated tires will wear faster due to the softer compound required to keep flexibility and grip in cold weather.... At least the Kanati`s are priced reasonably enough so that it doesn`t kill your bank account every time you have to replace them!

Yeah, and it's a heavy truck.
I will reconsider them because they did well, have a snow peak rating ( for us it's a law ) and are half price from any other tire.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any updates on the Falken MT's? what do they actually measure height wise?

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have maybe 6,000 miles on the tires now. They have gotten louder over time, and I think part of that is from uneven wear on the front and especially on one side. There was visual cupping on the passenger front tire and I attributed that to mud tires and the inherit nature of the PW and rotated the tires. Shortly after that I noticed the passenger front shock leaking badly. From past experience I know that bad shocks will cause tires to cup....so new shocks are installed now. There is obvious overall tread wear on the tires but would say they are still at least 80%.

Traction remains good on both dry and wet roads. Mud traction is obviously pretty good, though I don't have any other type of tires on this thing to compare it to. Maybe this winter we will actually get some snow to play in. I ran two sets of BFG AT's on my last truck and saw plenty of winters and snow so have a good comparison.

Currently run the front tires around 45-50 psi and the rears at 35-40 psi and the ride and handling are good.

The only real negative I have is the tire noise. While it's not horrible (I've ran numerous sets of mud tires and even bias ply Super Swampers on trucks before) there are times when cruising down the freeway it would nice to have a quieter cab.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am always surprised when I see people trying to sell something, but there is no price. Did I miss it?
and they do not know the difference between manufacturer specified height and actual height.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and they do not know the difference between manufacturer specified height and actual height.

LOL

For what it is worth, my 35x12.5x17 Wildpeak At3W's measure in at 34.75" mounted, aired up and unloaded.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL

For what it is worth, my 35x12.5x17 Wildpeak At3W's measure in at 34.75" mounted, aired up and unloaded.
what do the measure on your truck running whatever you are running for psi? 33.5" or there abouts?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what do the measure on your truck running whatever you are running for psi? 33.5" or there abouts?

34.75” mounted and aired up, with no weight on them...

5B2C91CA-AA3F-4FF2-AFB3-84EDE3297837.jpeg

With the weight of the truck on the rear at 58psi they measure 34”...

72BC593D-8DA3-44CF-AE52-DF746F2128D4.jpeg

With the weight of the truck on the front at 62psi they measure 33.75”...

669195D4-66F6-49C2-AC56-7DA915489CC1.jpeg

This is mounted on stock power wagon wheels, and the tires have roughly 13k miles on them.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And a funny fact. These tires with 13k miles have more tread depth still than a brand new set of bfg ko2’s.