Falken Wildpeak MT 35x12.5R17's on sale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Any balancing issues with the A/T3W?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks. slightly more than I would have guessed. I run a bit less psi tho.

Yea I typically run about 58 in front and 50-52 in the back when empty. Discount Tire had em all jacked up as I just had the tires rotated and balanced. I lowered them down quite a bit, but then the temps went from in the 30s and 40’s to the 70’s and the pressures went right back up lol

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That just seems like a lot of pressure to me. I run the A/T3/W (E Rated) in a 33 (275/70R18) on my Land Cruiser. I'm about 8,100 lbs fully loaded which is not that different than most PWs on routine duty. Axle split is around 4,400 R/ 3,700 F I run 42F/44R. Even wear across the tread, good traction, good ride. Right now, the Land Cruiser is unloaded and around 7,700 lbs and I'm at 30F/32R to allow for the light snow on the roads. On trail I go down to 20F/22R as my first step and then as low as 12F/15R in more extreme conditions (i.e. deep snow, sand). Of course I have OBA so airing up is no problemo.

I know full size trucks have their stickered RCTIP based upon a max GCVWR condition, but for normal travels 58 seems really high for optimal traction. Anyone pull through a highway scale to see what their axle loads are?

I'm new to this full size truck thing... but weight is weight. Just trying to figure out the logic on an additional 10-15 lbs and how that affects fuel econ and traction.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That just seems like a lot of pressure to me. I run the A/T3/W (E Rated) in a 33 (275/70R18) on my Land Cruiser. I'm about 8,100 lbs fully loaded which is not that different than most PWs on routine duty. Axle split is around 4,400 R/ 3,700 F I run 42F/44R. Even wear across the tread, good traction, good ride. Right now, the Land Cruiser is unloaded and around 7,700 lbs and I'm at 30F/32R to allow for the light snow on the roads. On trail I go down to 20F/22R as my first step and then as low as 12F/15R in more extreme conditions (i.e. deep snow, sand). Of course I have OBA so airing up is no problemo.

I know full size trucks have their stickered RCTIP based upon a max GCVWR condition, but for normal travels 58 seems really high for optimal traction. Anyone pull through a highway scale to see what their axle loads are?

I'm new to this full size truck thing... but weight is weight. Just trying to figure out the logic on an additional 10-15 lbs and how that affects fuel econ and traction.

Ive logged a bit over 40k miles on my wagon now. Ran the stock duratracs at roughly 60 front 55 rear. Sold them with 26k miles on them with perfect wear and quite a bit of tread yet. Now I have these 35” at3w’s, been in the high 50’s to low 60’s in the front and low to mid 50’s in the rear. Now have over 13k miles and they are wearing perfectly. Still have 16/32nds tread depth. I dono. Maybe I could go lower psi without wearing issues and gain a better ride.

One thing I think that will be quite different then what you are used to is the weight split. At least when unloaded, the front of the truck weighs quite a bit more than the rear.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What's the front Axle weight on your truck? At 5,000 lbs the RCTIP would be in the 40 PSIG range for a 35x12.5R17.

upload_2020-11-11_9-56-45.png

https://tirepsi.com/35x12-50r17-tire-pressure

Similar data from Falken's site:

upload_2020-11-11_10-2-56.png

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/care-safety-warranty

Again, I believe the Ram door sticker is based upon worst-case load requirements. For example, at max payload on the truck plus max trailer weight it would load up the tractor axles differently than your specific use. They only get one pressure to put on the sticker and most users don't employ an OBA strategy where they adapt pressures to their load. So the paradigm is inflate for max load and live with it for lighter loads. Reduced traction footprint and rougher ride is the consequence of a one-size-fits-all tire pressure strategy.

The biggest risk to an OEM is tire blowout. That gets people killed and manufacturers in headlines. A la Ford Exploder from the early 2000s. Blowouts are typically due to excessive sidewall heat which is a result of under inflation. Therefore they post a number that minimizes court appearances rather than maximizes performance for your specific mission. For ideal pressures I would consult a chart showing the specific pressures for your axle load. I'm continuously adjusting tire pressures based upon traction needs, air temp, etc.

Though I'm all ears if emperical data or other logic indicates otherwise...

Last edited:

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What's the front Axle weight on your truck? At 5,000 lbs the RCTIP would be in the 40 PSIG range for a 35x12.5R17.

View attachment 227072

https://tirepsi.com/35x12-50r17-tire-pressure

Similar data from Falken's site:

View attachment 227073

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/care-safety-warranty

Again, I believe the Ram door sticker is based upon worst-case load requirements. For example, at max payload on the truck plus max trailer weight would load up the tractor axles under maximum performance conditions differently than your specific use. They only get one pressure to put on the sticker and most users don't employ an OBA strategy where they adapt pressures to their load.

The biggest risk to an OEM is tire blowout. That gets people killed and manufacturers in headlines. A la Ford Exploder from the early 2000s. Blowouts are typically due to excessive sidewall heat which is a result of under inflation. Therefore they post a number that minimizes court appearances rather than maximizes performance for your specific mission. For ideal pressures I would consult a chart showing the specific pressures for your axle load. I'm continuously adjusting tire pressures based upon traction needs, air temp, etc.

Though I'm all ears if emperical data or other logic indicates otherwise...

View attachment 227071

That might just be the most informative data about tire size/pressure/load.

I always found the 37'' run better at 35-40 lbs. Now I know it's right!

:burnout:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
That might just be the most informative data about tire size/pressure/load.

I always found the 37'' run better at 35-40 lbs. Now I know it's right!

:burnout:

I set my 35" at 36 PSI cold. So also between 35-40 PSI. They run even.

However, it's not that simple.

My tires were set at 40 degrees Fahrenheit in Woodland Park, Colorado (Altitude of 8,500').

Both altitude (atmospheric pressure) and outside temperature will change the tire PSI. If I drive my truck to the beach (sea level) and it's 80 degrees, my cold tire PSI will increase to 44 PSI. The altitude dropped by 8,500 feet and the outside temperature increased by 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Atmospheric pressure...
Altitude (ft.) Air Pressure (psi)
Sea Level 14.7
1,000 14.2
2,000 13.7
3,000 13.2
4,000 12.7
5,000 12.2
6,000 11.7
7,000 11.3
8,000 10.9
9,000 10.5
10,000 10.1

Here's the math. So at 8,500 feet a 10.7 PSI atmospheric pressure would increase to 14.7 at sea level or by 4. My 36 psi tire setting would be around 39 PSI at sea level.

Also, for every 10 degree increase in air temperature a tire pressure will increase by approximately 1 PSI. A 40 Fahrenheit higher temperature change at sea level would equate to around 4 PSI more at 80 degrees.

36 + 4 + 4 = 44 PSI

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=167

Last edited:

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I set my 35" at 36 PSI cold. So also between 35-40 PSI. They run even.

However, it's not that simple.

My tires were set at 40 degrees Fahrenheit in Woodland Park, Colorado (Altitude of 8,500').

Both altitude (atmospheric pressure) and outside temperature will change the tire PSI. If I drive my truck to the beach (sea level) and it's 80 degrees, my cold tire PSI will increase to 43 PSI. The altitude dropped by 8,500 feet and the outside temperature increased by 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Atmospheric pressure...
Altitude (ft.) Air Pressure (psi)
Sea Level 14.7
1,000 14.2
2,000 13.7
3,000 13.2
4,000 12.7
5,000 12.2
6,000 11.7
7,000 11.3
8,000 10.9
9,000 10.5
10,000 10.1

Here's the math. So at 8,500 feet a 10.7 PSI atmospheric pressure would increase to 14.7 at sea level or by 3. My 36 psi tire setting would be around 39 PSI at sea level.

Also, for every 10 degree increase in air temperature a tire pressure will increase by approximately 1 PSI. A 40 Fahrenheit higher temperature change at sea level would equate to around 4 PSI more at 80 degrees.

36 + 3 + 4 = 43 PSI

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=167

Cool maths, feeling in high school again :)

Do you have the live tire pressure in dash?
It is so practical.

Just last week, temps varied from -15C to +20C ( 5F to 70F )
It's fun to see tire run from 34 PSI in the morning to 42 in the afternoon ( tires heats up from rolling )

Cheers to playing with pressure

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Cool maths, feeling in high school again :)

Do you have the live tire pressure in dash?
It is so practical.

Just last week, temps varied from -15C to +20C ( 5F to 70F )
It's fun to see tire run from 34 PSI in the morning to 42 in the afternoon ( tires heats up from rolling )

Cheers to playing with pressure

Yes, I use the live temperature pressure readout on the dash. Summers here we can have some diurnal temperature variations of 50 degree Fahrenheit. Normal variations are from 40 to 45. Can be 45F in the morning and 95 by late afternoon. I use the dash readout quite a bit on the road. Winter mornings can be below zero Fahrenheit and 40F by afternoon.

July_diurnalvariation_US.svg.png

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright gents, figured I would drop the pressure down just for ***** and giggles. At 50 front and 40 rear at the moment. Havnt drove the truck yet, but they still look surprising aired up to me.

3 pics below went from 60psi to 55psi to 50psi at the front of truck.

FA6DA2B7-9250-418B-BCF5-FFC87A519D40.jpeg

FF65A352-F7D1-4B62-A11F-043B15B43309.jpeg

97ACDF9D-A5A0-4ABF-8F85-9F122049C445.jpeg

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Very little change in deflection. Let us know how the ride is. If it's dry there you could also try the chalk method across the tread to see how far the actual contact patch is making it to the tread shoulder.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since I started this post guess I will go ahead and provide an update on the tires. Have about 6,000 miles on them.
- Still ride smooth.....took very little weight to balance
- Good wet weather traction, winter is coming up so will see how they do as last winter we had very little snow or ice
- Passenger front tire started cupping pretty quick, and the tires got a lot noisier. Later found out the shock was bad (started leaking badly) which will cause the tires to cup and therefore get noisy. Have since replaced the front shocks and rotated the tires and they are wearing good now.
- You can still hear them on the freeway but not bad, actually toned back down after rotating and replacing the shocks. My super picky wife has never mentioned the tire noise, but also keep in mind the half worn Duratracs made noise too.
- Some rock/mud rash on the treads after play sessions.....was climbing muddy hills bouncing off the rev limiter with the truck barely moving but the speedo showing 25 mph.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since I started this post guess I will go ahead and provide an update on the tires. Have about 6,000 miles on them.
- Good wet weather traction, winter is coming up so will see how they do as last winter we had very little snow or ice
- Passenger front tire started cupping pretty quick, and the tires got a lot noisier. Later found out the shock was bad (started leaking badly) which will cause the tires to cup and therefore get noisy. Have since replaced the front shocks and rotated the tires and they are wearing good now.
- You can still hear them on the freeway but not bad, actually toned back down after rotating and replacing the shocks. My super picky wife has never mentioned the tire noise, but also keep in mind the half worn Duratracs made noise too.
- Some rock/mud rash on the treads after play sessions.....was climbing muddy hills bouncing off the rev limiter with the truck barely moving but the speedo showing 25 mph.

Thanks for the update.

No pics?!

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot to mention tire pressure. These are E-rated/10 ply tires with a 65 psi max pressure. I'm currently running 45 psi front and 35 psi rear. This last weekend I did a 9 hour round trip hauling a 16' tandem axle trailer with a SxS and dirt bike on it along with an ARE bed shell and several hundred pounds of gear in the bed. Speeds up to 75 mph. No issues at those pressures.

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for updating experience with this tire. I’ve purchased the same tires on the info I’ve found on this thread.

I’ve ordered a 2021 PW 75th edition, and thanks to you, every time I walk by those tires my mind race’s and I obsess when I’m getting my truck... haha.

But really people, you will torment yourselves if you buy big awesome tires before you get your truck.