Fibers coming out of AC vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrHammond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 litter
I have a RAM 2013 1500 Laramie. I have just started seeing small black fibers, collecting on the dash and center console. They seem to be coming from the AC vents. I thought maybe my cabin filter was deteriorating, but there isn't one on that year.
Has anyone seen something like this? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a RAM 2013 1500 Laramie. I have just started seeing small black fibers, collecting on the dash and center console. They seem to be coming from the AC vents. I thought maybe my cabin filter was deteriorating, but there isn't one on that year.
I'd say dirt and mold from inside the vents... because I don't think there is any "fibers" anywhere near there

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

I certainly understand why this would be concerning, MrHammond. If you end up addressing this with your local Ram dealer, please know that we would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
M

MrHammond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 litter
The fibers are definitely coming out the vents. There is no black material in my exposed interior. A small chunk of what is coming apart, came out (pic attached). It is woven material apparently somewhere in the vent system. Anyone have any ideas. This concerns me since I am breathing those fibers.IMG-1256.JPG

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Looks like a pice of a strap or something of that sort. I have had plenty of these dashes a part and i have never seen a strap type material anywhere. Any possibility that something got stuck to the cabin filter before installing? Or always possibility of it bypassing the filter possibly.

OP
OP
M

MrHammond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 litter
There is no cabin filter. I am going to install one and see if that helps, but if the material is past the filter it will not help

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I wonder if there is a mouse in the house :O and that is part of his house coming apart ??? Looks sort of like carpet material or wrapped insulation on some wring ! Please update what you find !

OP
OP
M

MrHammond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 litter
I am happy, but embarrassed, to report that I found where the fibers are coming from - my windshield sun shade. It had an interior strap disintegrating, and the fibers would collect on the dash and blow around and get sucked into the AC.
I am glad to find it as I gave up and was going to take it to the dealer next week.
Thanks for your help guys. At least it wasn't a mouse in the house. Guess I can't blame Ram or tell my wife I have to get a new truck

IMG-1264.JPG

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am happy, but embarrassed, to report that I found where the fibers are coming from - my windshield sun shade. It had an interior strap disintegrating, and the fibers would collect on the dash and blow around and get sucked into the AC.
I am glad to find it as I gave up and was going to take it to the dealer next week.
Thanks for your help guys. At least it wasn't a mouse in the house. Guess I can't blame Ram or tell my wife I have to get a new truck

View attachment 190213

View attachment 190213
LOL Glad it was a minor fix :) Funny when something goes wrong we always looks for the worst vs. the simple things :) Been there done that Thanks for the Update !!!

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

View attachment 190213
Glad you updated and it was only the sun shade. A lot of these posts I see go stagnant with the OP never posting an update. Happy New Year.
FYI if you do the interior filter mod, you can buy the entire filter and for off Fleabay cheaper then the dealer.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't feel too bad, couple of years ago a window was busted out of my Subaru and someone once told me it will take absolutely forever to get all the glass out of the car. Well sure enough couple years later i was still seeing "glass shards" everywhere. Come to find out it was my sun shade that was deteriorating, just happened to be the same light green color.