Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally got around to service diffs and transfer case

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by GRN69CHV, Jan 14, 2021.

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts
  1. GRN69CHV

GRN69CHV Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Truck was due for inspection (didn't need anything, truck has 68K on it, brakes and tires were done about 10,000 miles ago) needed tires rotated and had them service front and rear diffs and transfer case while it was in there. Gear oil and transfer case were OE, I bought the truck in Jan 18 with 9400 miles on it, so I know it hadn't been done. One of those, I'll get to it, but never got to it deals.

They charged me $59.50 per axle which I thought was very reasonable considering I was looking at having to buy 5 quarts synthetic synthetic gear oil. Also had them do the transfer case. Left the shop and had to make a 25 mile drive. I swear, by the time I was on the way back (maybe 40 miles on the fluid swap), truck was a lot quieter, partly because the tires were rotated (fronts were getting some noise) but also differential was noticeably quieter. Guess it just goes to show, for the $120 spent , not really any excuse to not maintain fluid changes. Trans is next, see when the weather warms up how ambitious I feel.

Burla, Wild one, dwade and 3 others like this.
  2. mw_mt

mw_mt Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    The dealer here quoted $600 to change the fluid in the differentials and transfer case on a 2017 BH with 30k miles

3. GRN69CHV

GRN69CHV Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Local shop, I've done two complete sets of tires with them in the past 6 months, also had them do the inspection while it was on the lift. Basically, changed the diff fluids for the close to cost of the gear oil.

Wild one, Burla and mw_mt like this.
  4. Livinalittle

Livinalittle Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    It's almost like the truck feels happier after it's gotten some love.
    I should probably do my TC this spring. I'm at about 140,000 km. I have the trans filters and ATF in my garage now, just waiting another 10,000 km to do that and my spark plugs together.